Evil camaro

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
Patented17

Evil camaro

Postby Patented17 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:31 pm

I have a 1995 camaro 3.4 liter, and lately when I start it after i get off school it will just blow hot air from the air condition. The engine temp. jumps up to about 250 after about 3 mins. The stupid pervious owner just put water in the radiator and so now it has like rust, and a kinda of mud Inside it. I drained the radiator and put fresh coolant in it. But it still over heats. I'm thinking that its a clog somewhere in the engine. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem with camaros or if they do how did they fix it. :meh:
Below Reality

Postby Below Reality » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:46 pm

You likely need to have the entire cooling system back flushed by machine and then add the new coolant.

But.....

If what you say is true, I'd seriously count on replacing a few parts of the cooling system, and possibly the head gaskets.

Adding water to the coolant is fine, so long as the mix ratio is correct for the outside temperatures. While running just water will not initially harm the engine; doing so for a lengthy time can result in corrosion, overheating, head gasket damage, and engine failure.

Water turns into steam when it boils, steam pressure builds up within the engines cooling system and eventually takes the weakest path out when the pressure is too high. Head Gaskets, Freeze Plugs, hoses, or even in severe cases, cracking the block.

A vehicles cooling system was designed to withstand fluid pressure, not gas pressure.

The Chevy 3.4L V6 is known for having issues. It's just not a great engine to begin with when compared to the 2.8 and 3.1 V6's in the same family.

I'd start by back flushing the entire cooling system, then replacing all the hoses, the thermostat, and then filling it with the correct mix of water/coolant. Try that, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you have some more serious issues with the car.

Good Luck!
[color="Lime"]"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true."

- James Branch Cabell[/color]

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

-George Carlin
crow

Postby crow » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:59 pm

"*****IN CAMARO, *****IN CAMARO
I ran over my neighbors
*****IN CAMARO, *****IN CAMARO
Now it's in all the papers.
My folks bought me a *****IN CAMARO with no insurance to match;
So if you happen to run me down, please don't leave a scratch.
I ran over some old lady one night at the county fair;
And I didn't get arrested, because my dad's the mayor.
Doughnuts on your lawn
Tony Orlando and Dawn
When I drive past the kids, they all spit and cuss,
Because I've got a *****IN CAMARO and they have to ride the bus.
So you'd better get out of my way, when I run through your yard;
Because I've got a *****IN CAMARO;
And an Exxon credit card.
Hey, man where ya headed?
I drive on unleaded."

Sorry about that, man. I couldn't resist bringing up a good Dead Milkmen song.:D

Arg! foiled by the curse detector! %$%@#%!!!
KU40

Postby KU40 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:07 pm

yeah, I have the 3.4 and it's absolutely terrible. I just had issues last week with my timing belt, that is definitely not a cheap problem. Unfortunately I found out about it's inherent issues about a week after i bought the car, but was stuck because i emptied my savings to get it. never do that.

anyways, check the heater core. although the radiator is obviously a problem too. but when I had my cavalier Z24 that had the 2.8, the heater core went out and it kept overheating and A/C would blow hot, it actually blew out smoke right when it broke.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Patented17

Postby Patented17 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:44 pm

alright thanks for the info and replys. Im hoping some day ill get it fixed lol but right now im broke:cwm19: lol so i guess ill be borrowing my grandpas old truck again.
wagz

Postby wagz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:32 am

Below Reality wrote: possibly the head gaskets.

x2

flush it, if thats no good then get a compression test, doesnt cost too much but it will let you know if you have a head gasket leak
home sub
Dayton Audio Titanic MkIII
250watt parts express amp
3cuft box @ 26hz
Patented17

Postby Patented17 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:38 am

Ok, I flushed it and its all clean put new coolant in it. Still overheating im going to try that compression test tommorow. I think it might be that the theromstat is stuck open or stuck close, because the previous owner only just put water in the radiator and Im guessing the water boiled. So now it had as kind of mudd in my radiator i cleaned it tho there is still some left. So i think that might have kept the thermostat open or close(dont know which postion makes the fluid come in or out). Im going to check it today to see if it has that mud crap on it.
RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:28 am

cheapest bet would be a thermostat. Not hard at all to put in.
Francious70

Postby Francious70 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:03 am

1st thing I'd do is a thermostat, they're like $5 and take all of 5 minutes to replace.
Below Reality

Postby Below Reality » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:54 am

Patented17 wrote:Ok, I flushed it and its all clean put new coolant in it. Still overheating im going to try that compression test tommorow. I think it might be that the theromstat is stuck open or stuck close, because the previous owner only just put water in the radiator and Im guessing the water boiled. So now it had as kind of mudd in my radiator i cleaned it tho there is still some left. So i think that might have kept the thermostat open or close(dont know which postion makes the fluid come in or out). Im going to check it today to see if it has that mud crap on it.

How did you flush it?

It was not just a pour in bottle was it?

That part is kind of key.

It needs to be done with a machine or by water pressure from a hose through the heater hose; and an apen radiator to let the water flow through and carry the bad stuff out. The car does have to be running durring this process.

It may take a couple of complete flushes to get everything out.

Our company's flatbed truck ran into a similar situation with it's cooling system and I basically had to leave the truck running with a water pressure flush running through it's cooling system for the better part of a day.

Like I said, it could take a while, or a couple of flushes to get everything out.

While you are at it, be sure and pressure wash the exterior of the radiator and condenser completely. Removing any debris on the outside can significantly help as well.

Thermostat and hoses are next.

You won't need a compression test to know if the head gaskets are bad.

A simple cooling system pressure test will let you know, plus it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Mind you, a compression test is not a bad thing to have done from time to time, simply to know where your engine stands.
[color="Lime"]"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true."

- James Branch Cabell[/color]

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

-George Carlin

Return to “Automotive Performance”