All 4 Kumho's finished.

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
UNIT 6639

All 4 Kumho's finished.

Postby UNIT 6639 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:46 am

I have about 44,000 miles on these tires and all 4 of them are done. They still have a whole lot of tread on them but something funny happened to them.

They are all worn on the inside of the tire. One just blew out last week and it looked as if the tire was going to separate from the wheel starting from the inner side of the tire.

I have no idea how they wore out on the inside of the tire but still look new on the rest of the tire. There are even holes in the tire in places. The belts are showing through the holes.

These tires are not cheap and I have now taken them off the car and put the factory rims back on.

I will never buy anymore Kumho products again. Anyone have any idea why my tires wore out in this fashion.

If it helps my car is a 2004 Nissan Altima and the aftermarket rims were some chrome 17"s I got from sears.
2004 Altima 2.5s
Pioneer HU
Stock comps
eD 9.1
15" Avalanche ported
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:29 am

your car is out of alignment. it's not the tire's fault.

Tires are like subwoofers in that they are the most passive parts of the system. They have no problems unless some other force acts upon them, unless there is a manufacturer defect. Your sub won't blow unless you give it too much power or rip apart the suspension by giving it too much power in an enclosure that won't support it. Tires won't blow unless you run them flat so they build up heat, or they wear funny if your car is out of alignment, have bad shocks, or some other front end part is worn.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
John

Postby John » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:23 am

I'd by far blame car, rim, setup/install or user error before the tires...First off, you should have replaced your tires well before they got this worn ( The belts are showing through the holes). This sounds like a classic observation I can make of people around town who have rims improperly added to their car, and you can actually see the huge lean which causes this kind of wear. You're complaining because you put 44k on kumho 17" tires? That's more than 10 k over the treadlife guarantee for most (which is usually 30k). Perhaps you sohuld have done a little bit more reasearch before you when ahead with this all...tires wear out buddy.
josh99ta

Postby josh99ta » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:27 am

Maybe it's your fault and not the tires? Make sure you have proper air pressure and a good alignment. Sounds like you neglected basic maintenance and now you're paying. Dont blame the manufacturer.
2006 Pontiac GTO :: Stock and Staying That Way
1999 Pontiac Trans Am :: Gone but Not Forgotten
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:14 am

i had a set of kuhmo ecxta 77's(the CHEAP ones). for how much i beat on them, they didnt wear too bad(~8000 before they were bald...first rwd car+tires that arent sticky = lots of brakestands. at $55/piece, i wasnt too concerned). what DID concern me with them though, was that the first half of the tread lasted probably 6000miles, and the second half went by in about 2, yet my driving habbits didnt change at all, and i had no alignment problems.

anyway, wear on the inside of you tires blatantly points to an alignment problem, either excessive negative camber, or excessive toe in. Im gonna take a wild guess here. along with those 17's, did you lower the car, and not take the neccesary steps to put the camber back to sped?
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:51 am

if its at all 4, its excessive neg camber...on most cars you can't get too much toe set in the back. Neg camber and improper rotation (lack thereof) caused this one.

the 17's are larger than factory size IIRC, and as such probably affected alignment there, then toss in any springs or just no alignment (or bad factory alignment) and you are at the problem.

Besides, 44k on a set of tires really isn't too bad.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
WeDgE

Postby WeDgE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:32 am

black300zx wrote:anyway, wear on the inside of you tires blatantly points to an alignment problem, either excessive negative camber, or excessive toe in.

Toe-out = wear on inside of tire

Toe-in = wear on outside of tire

;)
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:30 pm

UNIT 6639 wrote:I have about 44,000 miles on these tires and all 4 of them are done. They still have a whole lot of tread on them but something funny happened to them.

They are all worn on the inside of the tire. One just blew out last week and it looked as if the tire was going to separate from the wheel starting from the inner side of the tire.

I have no idea how they wore out on the inside of the tire but still look new on the rest of the tire. There are even holes in the tire in places. The belts are showing through the holes.

These tires are not cheap and I have now taken them off the car and put the factory rims back on.

I will never buy anymore Kumho products again. Anyone have any idea why my tires wore out in this fashion.

If it helps my car is a 2004 Nissan Altima and the aftermarket rims were some chrome 17"s I got from sears.

Your alignment is screwed - nothing wrong with the product...

And getting 44k out of them with a screwed alignment is paramount to how decent of a tire they are. :)
Yo.
RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:28 pm

hell, that's ALOT of miles out of a tire, especially in less than 2 years.

Maybe he meant 4,400?
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:34 pm

[quote="WeDgE"]Toe-out = wear on inside of tire

Toe-in = wear on outside of tire

]

doh! thanks for the correction
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies

peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(