All 4 Kumho's finished.

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
UNIT 6639

Postby UNIT 6639 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:55 am

OK so it was my fault. I am no tire expert. I did not think that all four would wear out due to an alignment problem. I was under the asumption that the front would wear only.

No I did not lower the car or add any springs. I also did not know if I needed a new alignment after putting the after market rims on.

Also the reason I thought that the tires were defective was because they had plenty of tread left on the outer side of the tire.

I apologize for bashing Kumho. I am actually happy to know it was my fault because I did like the tires. Plus I bought a brand new one that has about 2 thousand miles on it so I felt like I was out 130 bucks for that tire due to the other three dying.

Yes my alignment is off and I guess its time to repair this issue before putting the rims back on.

Thanks everyone for your input. Lesson learned the hard way.
2004 Altima 2.5s
Pioneer HU
Stock comps
eD 9.1
15" Avalanche ported
UNIT 6639

Postby UNIT 6639 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:05 am

John wrote:I'd by far blame car, rim, setup/install or user error before the tires...First off, you should have replaced your tires well before they got this worn ( The belts are showing through the holes). This sounds like a classic observation I can make of people around town who have rims improperly added to their car, and you can actually see the huge lean which causes this kind of wear. You're complaining because you put 44k on kumho 17" tires? That's more than 10 k over the treadlife guarantee for most (which is usually 30k). Perhaps you sohuld have done a little bit more reasearch before you when ahead with this all...tires wear out buddy.

Yea John you are right. The treadlife is exactly 30k. By the way you responded you sound like a BAD tire dealer. Sorry if this thread offended.

And why research when I have you good people like you to help me out when I have a problem. At least I did not go down to sears and complain to the manager about the tires and feel completely dumb when he explained it like you did.

Thats why I love these forums. I can ask a dumb question and get blasted with out face to face humiliation occurring. God bless America.

Thanks John.
2004 Altima 2.5s

Pioneer HU

Stock comps

eD 9.1

15" Avalanche ported
UNIT 6639

Postby UNIT 6639 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:11 am

RADEoN wrote:hell, that's ALOT of miles out of a tire, especially in less than 2 years.

Maybe he meant 4,400?

I wish. Actually I had a little over 1000 miles on the car when I put the rims with these tires on. The car now has 47k and cange on it.

I commute from WV to VA 5 to 6 times a week at 97 miles one way. I have killed one car already and had to pull my Altima out of the garage and use it as a work car.

It had about 6 to 7k on it before my Toyota died. And look at it now. I guess I should be praising these tires instead of bashing. I apologize to the tire and the company. I will slow my roll next time before complaining.
2004 Altima 2.5s

Pioneer HU

Stock comps

eD 9.1

15" Avalanche ported
RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:11 am

Ah. Well you got a hell of alot of life out of those tires... no sadness ensues.
John

Postby John » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:52 am

UNIT 6639 wrote:Thanks John.

No prob <tips hat>, sorry I came across the way I did, it was early, you certainly got your money's worth though, I'd imagine you could get a fair amount if you'd get that toe fixed, good luck with the next set you have...

The small-shop mechanic that does most, if not all, of my work that I won't do...he won't usually put tires on a big rim or sell a rim unless the person let's him take a look (or he knows them of course). Most people don't want help, others to see what there doing, or they want to save money. He always says it'll save you money in the long run, not to mention be a little safer, if you don't totally know what you are doing.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:36 am

do you rotate your tires? If so (like you should, every 6000 miles or so), that's how the ones on the back get worn. they go to the front, wear badly, then get switched to the back and those that were on the back now go onto the front to wear badly.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:06 am

If I didn't get my tires for free, I'd rotate them every oil change. ;)
UNIT 6639

Postby UNIT 6639 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:49 am

John wrote:No prob <tips hat>, sorry I came across the way I did, it was early, you certainly got your money's worth though, I'd imagine you could get a fair amount if you'd get that toe fixed, good luck with the next set you have...

The small-shop mechanic that does most, if not all, of my work that I won't do...he won't usually put tires on a big rim or sell a rim unless the person let's him take a look (or he knows them of course). Most people don't want help, others to see what there doing, or they want to save money. He always says it'll save you money in the long run, not to mention be a little safer, if you don't totally know what you are doing.

Thanks again John. I wish someone at the shop I bought my tires and rims from would have told me to check the alignment after putting the new rims on.

I thought that because the car was brand new that the alignment would be ok. Oh well.
2004 Altima 2.5s

Pioneer HU

Stock comps

eD 9.1

15" Avalanche ported
KU40

Postby KU40 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:42 am

well your alignment may not have been off then. hitting bumps in the road and things can offset the alignment, so unless they started wearing badly immediately after putting on the new rims, they may not have been the problem. and since you got 44k out of them, chances are your alignment hasn't been bad for very long.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300

Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded

SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:46 am

what year nissan? curious because I had a similar issue with my wifes nissan frontier from the factory, excessive outer wear (bad toe)...and I know the 350z's have had alignment issues during their first and second year as well.

curious.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.

Return to “Automotive Performance”