Anyone See Top Gear?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:11 pm

Top gear > > > Horsepower TV & Car and Driver.

i get tired of HP TV because ALL they ever talk about is building push rod single cam v8's... as if that is the way to HP....
Car and driver does too many reviews of cars that no one cars about, everyonce and a while they give you a treat...but for the most part its "look at this new 2006 camry, its improved in blah blah blah ways blah blah blah" and they always say these uber sluggish cars are "firm in the corners yet keep a good ride quality" or some BS like that.
Top Gear shows what you want, truely fast cars and profesional drivers driving the hell out of them. i LOVED the episode when he went for a ride with the lambo test driver....that lambo's body was so ragged out...like a 400,000 car and he is out cutting donuts, there was a huge dent inthe rear fender, and he about made the host **** his pants going into a hairpin at over 100mph yet he was smileing and was relaxed the whole time. i have that portion of the TV show saved on my computer.
there was also the one where the Uber Evo VIII keeps up with a Murchelargo... that was a great episode as well.
DeMoN2091tB

Postby DeMoN2091tB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:55 pm

I thought one of the funny ones was when they had some old ladies out there trying to do donuts, another was british professors burning rubber, and besides all of the awesome cars they test, you can't beat the stig, testing that is.

It was also pretty funny, the taller host was at a 200turn racetrack trying to break a 10min lap in a diesel jag IIRC. They also do a quite a bit of real world testing, sure they drive the hell out of anything they get there hands on, but they also do practicality tests of what people really want, like taking the new range rovers and stuff like that and driving them offroad and stuff, and getting it stuck like 5 times lol. But i wish the show was just longer....a good 2-3hrs straight of the show i could deal with, per night that is :).
HT
Yamaha HTR-5630-Vifa P17SJ-00 6-1/2"-LPG 26NAFM-Tempest-7cf @ 21hz Eventually building towers for RS225, WR125, LPG 26nafm(or)BG Neo3

Car 2005 Scion tC
Processing-IVA-W200/H701
Amps- Next VRz 4.400, (2)2.400
Tweeter- LPG 26na
Midrange- Diyma 2" Dome
Midbass- Extremis 6.4
Substage- DIYMA Ref 12"
Raammat BXT60, Ensolite
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:17 pm

CBFryman wrote:Top gear > > > Horsepower TV & Car and Driver.

i get tired of HP TV because ALL they ever talk about is building push rod single cam v8's... as if that is the way to HP....

And what is wrong with pushrod v8s? HP TV has a segmented audience, it isn't for everybody. Top Gear is more for the enthusiast and C & D is for people who want to hear how much better imports are than domestics.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:19 pm

DeMoN2091tB wrote:I thought one of the funny ones was when they had some old ladies out there trying to do donuts, another was british professors burning rubber, and besides all of the awesome cars they test, you can't beat the stig, testing that is.

It was also pretty funny, the taller host was at a 200turn racetrack trying to break a 10min lap in a diesel jag IIRC.

The N-Ring small course... that was a cool episode, see the people out there after work turning in laps...
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:40 pm

nothing wrong with pushrod v8's, but when they DID do something different they riced out a civic...WTF??

DeMoN2091tB wrote: They also do a quite a bit of real world testing, sure they drive the hell out of anything they get there hands on, but they also do practicality tests of what people really want, like taking the new range rovers and stuff like that and driving them offroad and stuff, and getting it stuck like 5 times lol. But i wish the show was just longer....a good 2-3hrs straight of the show i could deal with, per night that is :).

not all real world testing though, in that episode with the Evo VIII they did the most retarded thing ive ever seen the guy do, raced a ford wagon, both in overdrive, from a 30mph roll to show turbo lag... WTF?

i know they know better than this.

#1 the Evo has a much higher overdrive, meaning the wheels are getting less torque.

#2 the Evo is AWD, meaning more friction meaning more powerloss... but this goes with #3

#3 the Evo is a high powered TURBO engine. meaning a MUCH lower compression ratio and less advanced timing, the engine wasnt made to make power at all the 800RPM they where trying to race with., even get it up to 1500 RPM with the turbo just begining to barely make boost and it would have been a LOT more fair. this is FAR from realworld. if yo uwanted to accelerate you wouldnt floor it being in overdrive going 30mph...hell you wouldnt be in overdrive going 30mph at all if you knew how do drive for ****...

it was still an awsome episode though.

Return to “Automotive Performance”