Anyone See Top Gear?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
nismo

Postby nismo » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:17 pm

Big Mack wrote:Image

Big Mack

So what happens when you're next to a curb and try to swing open the door? You just scraped the hell outta the 'front' of your door on the curb :cwm11:

Eric
Jmac

Postby Jmac » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:19 pm

zac.carlson wrote:It was the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo. Same basic chassis and body design as the Elise, it was designed by Lotus. Only real difference is the turbo. If I remember correctly, the Elise is 180 or so bhp, where as the VX220 Turbo is 200 bhp.

A front engined version is coming our way next year to be sold as the Saturn Sky, according to Top Gear.
The Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice don't use the same chassis as the Elise. Nor does the newest generation of the Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster ... GM developed their own chassis to save money so they could compete with the Mazda Miata ($20,000-$25,000) rather than with sports cars ($40,000-50,000 like the Elise).

BTW, it's known as the VX220 because the original model used a 2.2 liter Ecotec engine (same engine that's in the Cavalier/Sunfire and Cobalt/Pursuit).
mbuchman

Postby mbuchman » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:51 pm

CBFryman wrote:for the price, i would pay to have it bought in england and shipped over here. no one else would have one. but i dont have the money and it wouldnt be the greatest of daily drivers either (though with a boost controller i would imagine it would get nice MPG being so light).

Aren't their import laws on cars like that unless you actually got the car properly modified? So it would be hellaexpensive to get one.

My favorite car so far is definately the Zonda back in the first or second American episode.

BTW Penguin, its on Discovery channel, Wednesdays at 10P

Matt
wagz

Postby wagz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:07 pm

mbuchman wrote:Aren't their import laws on cars like that unless you actually got the car properly modified? So it would be hellaexpensive to get one.

My favorite car so far is definately the Zonda back in the first or second American episode.

BTW Penguin, its on Discovery channel, Wednesdays at 10P

Matt

eh yea i think theres something about emissions and saftey and all that **** unless its going to be strictly a show car or will never be driven outside a race track

pull a noble and ship it in 3 peices and call it a kit car (not sure what kind of peices)...deff the best way to build a car that legally doesnt need to meet any sort of regulation

hey and on that koenziggereasjdasd;fgnsa, wtf is with the break rotors, like i see blue dots going around that dont look to be an actual part of the rotor itself...and as far as i know the koen's break rotors were never drilled and slotted in the front, only the rear...decoration?
home sub
Dayton Audio Titanic MkIII
250watt parts express amp
3cuft box @ 26hz
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:48 pm

Yeah if you import a car it has to be certified by DOT, EPA, etc. to meet with federal emissions and crash safety standards...
zac.carlson

Postby zac.carlson » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Jmac wrote:The Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice don't use the same chassis as the Elise. Nor does the newest generation of the Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster ... GM developed their own chassis to save money so they could compete with the Mazda Miata ($20,000-$25,000) rather than with sports cars ($40,000-50,000 like the Elise).

BTW, it's known as the VX220 because the original model used a 2.2 liter Ecotec engine (same engine that's in the Cavalier/Sunfire and Cobalt/Pursuit).

I record Top Gear each week, and was watching the episode in question at the time I was writing my response. Just giving the information as it was given on the show...
John

Postby John » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:40 pm

nismo wrote:So what happens when you're next to a curb and try to swing open the door? You just scraped the hell outta the 'front' of your door on the curb :cwm11:

Eric

:cwm17: Umm, it'd be just like any other low car...Many newer completely stock f-bodies wil just barely clear most curbs around here and they'll grind into the lawn if you swing them open...
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:11 pm

would cost less to get one of thoes over here than an GT-R skyline, im sure they will pass emission and safety tests no problem or with just a high flow cat installed (its the safety tests that cost mucho denaro, but they have more safety features than the elise, such as air bags).

you can get a faster car for the price of importing and legalizing it, but it would be more of a WOW factor than anything... the car scares me, ive felt 0-60 in 5.0sec flat in a modded 3rd gen RX-7... 4 point w/e seconds in an even smaller car...sounds fun.
DeMoN2091tB

Postby DeMoN2091tB » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Pagandi Londa.....need i say more.

BTW i wish they had more TV shows out there that were more like Top Gear, i've watched everyshow since it started on discovery on Wed. at 10pm, est. Awesome show. BTW the Ariel
Atom is awesome, i'd love to drive one, but for all out looks and performance, old school look that is, Can't beat the Morgan Aero 8, in the Black and Silver that they tested....OMG nut on myself awesome.

I love the show.
HT
Yamaha HTR-5630-Vifa P17SJ-00 6-1/2"-LPG 26NAFM-Tempest-7cf @ 21hz Eventually building towers for RS225, WR125, LPG 26nafm(or)BG Neo3

Car 2005 Scion tC
Processing-IVA-W200/H701
Amps- Next VRz 4.400, (2)2.400
Tweeter- LPG 26na
Midrange- Diyma 2" Dome
Midbass- Extremis 6.4
Substage- DIYMA Ref 12"
Raammat BXT60, Ensolite
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:59 pm

I hated TG at first, the british accents are pretty bad, but the more I watched it the more I liked it.. They really drive the **** out of the cars, I like that :)

Return to “Automotive Performance”