Bent Rims????

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
Oak244

Bent Rims????

Postby Oak244 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:53 pm

Always great when general maintenance of a car gets in the way of our audio building! I had to change the exhaust system from the Cat back, which cost me $300, so there went my subwoofer for another month... To top that off I have another problem I would like advice on...

I have always had a car with Aluminum wheels or my truck had custom chrome ones... Well anyway, I drive a Geo Prism now and the car has steel rims with hub caps. I am fine with this, however I have to drive into the city every other day, and about every six months it seems like I bend one of these rims. I have replaced 2 already, and right now I feel the car wobbling again which makes me think yet another is bent! I am getting sick of this.

So if I changed to custom rims, what kind would you suggest to stop this constant bending? I live in the north so it has to be able to withstand salt. The car has small 13" wheels, but it seems the Tire Rack shows I can do a 13-70, 14-60, 15-50, 16-40. I want to keep this as cheap as possible... any ideas? I do not want this to interfere too much with the progress of my audio system, but since its too cold not to do fiberglass, it seems I have all winter now to buy the audio stuff!
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:35 pm

Rims only bend for a reason, so what the heck are you doing? Do you hit a lot of curbs?

Last time I bent a rim I drove over an island in a parking lot at 20kph... Be more careful with your driving is all I can say, not to be insulting. I drive quite rough and I have only bent like one or two rims in my whole life.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
Oak244

Postby Oak244 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Atomic Fusion wrote:Rims only bend for a reason, so what the heck are you doing? Do you hit a lot of curbs?

Last time I bent a rim I drove over an island in a parking lot at 20kph... Be more careful with your driving is all I can say, not to be insulting. I drive quite rough and I have only bent like one or two rims in my whole life.

Adam

Here is a better idea of what is happening to my car,and why I have to spend $60 every six months to fix a bent rim! There are many spots I can think of on my way down to school where the asphalt is buckled around a bend in the road. There is one spot where the Interstate slows to 45 mph to take a bend, and the shift from the street to the bridge and back on to the street is like going off road. Another spot is close to my school, where every winter they cut out this section of the road to make it flat for the snow plows, and every spring its start to buckle again and we have to hop over this natural made speed bump around a bend at 45mph everyday.. Sometimes you actually feel the car hop sideways as you go over it on both these curves.. I can think of 2-3 more similar areas on my drive down there, but you get the idea.

So now you see, its just bad streets and no way I can help what happens.. I just need something more durable then factory steel wheels. I drove a 1993 Ford Probe GT with its stock wheels (Alloy) and drove these same streets at much faster speeds and never broke a rim... So I assume the Alloy rims were stronger then these cheap factory steel rims. Well not that cheap when you have to buy new ones every few months!
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:27 am

steel is fairly bend resistant and going to an alloy won't help too much in most cases unless you stick to a heavier rim. As you go up in inches, your sidewall will go down which will transfer more jounce/impact to the rim. Your best bet for cheap and bend resistant would be a 14" that are pretty widely available. You are right that the GM is probably a cheap steel wheel...did that model ever come with alloys?

and when was the last time those rims were balanced, might just be the balance getting out of whack, or perhaps even alignment that a new rim/tire fixes for a few months till it wears in to the alignment. Have you checked those recently?

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
John

Postby John » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:54 am

How about the suspension? If the road are that rough....
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:19 pm

Oak244 wrote:Here is a better idea of what is happening to my car,and why I have to spend $60 every six months to fix a bent rim! There are many spots I can think of on my way down to school where the asphalt is buckled around a bend in the road. There is one spot where the Interstate slows to 45 mph to take a bend, and the shift from the street to the bridge and back on to the street is like going off road. Another spot is close to my school, where every winter they cut out this section of the road to make it flat for the snow plows, and every spring its start to buckle again and we have to hop over this natural made speed bump around a bend at 45mph everyday.. Sometimes you actually feel the car hop sideways as you go over it on both these curves.. I can think of 2-3 more similar areas on my drive down there, but you get the idea.

So now you see, its just bad streets and no way I can help what happens.. I just need something more durable then factory steel wheels. I drove a 1993 Ford Probe GT with its stock wheels (Alloy) and drove these same streets at much faster speeds and never broke a rim... So I assume the Alloy rims were stronger then these cheap factory steel rims. Well not that cheap when you have to buy new ones every few months!

Dude, there's nothing there that would cause a rim to bend... A rim bends when it comes in direct contact with a hard object. The only way that can happen is either clipping the side of the rim on a curb or other object, or by hitting something so hard with the tire that the object compresses the tire and impacts right into the rim.

The roads in my city are as bad as anywhere... Crappy patches, cracks in the road, construction... I also drive over speed bumps at full speed (I don't slow down for them) and I do just about every other brutal thing to my van I can do... And the rims don't bend.

Hard impacts to your tire will not damage your rim in anyway, unless it pushes right through the tire and hits the rim, which involved hitting a large object at high speed, like I did in the parking lot. Regular driving with no clipping of curbs or anything of that nature should not ever damage rims.

If you are going through rims so frequently (however you are doing it; it's not normal) I would be extremely hesitant about spending hundreds or thousands on aftermarket rims, as they will get damaged just as easily, and are not so easily replaced.

Adam
Found something better.

SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero

Return to “Automotive Performance”