Snow Tires

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
danssoslow

Postby danssoslow » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:13 pm

X-OvrDistortion wrote:I don't know if I can go with anything smaller then a 17". I did find these that might work though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8013699437&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Definitely the best looking snow tires I've ever seen. Far cry from the knobbies I had in mind.
No. Really.

soundcannon wrote: i am an english wiz
Oxygen

Postby Oxygen » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:10 am

Nokian has some great tires, and a few sizes to fit 17's and 1 size to fit 18's (225/40R18 XL)

I'd really reccomend you check out nokian. I was told i can expect 6 years out of my set.
The tread pattern on the Rsi winter tires is really neat, the deaph of the tread varies in every seperate slit in each tread block to give huge gripping ability in turns.

The shop i got them at reccomended these the most, even over more expensive rubber. Although Manitoba tends to get a lot of snow. http://www.nokiantires.com
- Premier 860MP
- Adire Kodas
- PPI PCX 2125
- XXX 15 2cf sealed
- BEtter Audio 1600M1
Sounds awesome
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:47 am

Oxygen wrote:Nokian has some great tires, and a few sizes to fit 17's and 1 size to fit 18's (225/40R18 XL)

I'd really reccomend you check out nokian. I was told i can expect 6 years out of my set.
The tread pattern on the Rsi winter tires is really neat, the deaph of the tread varies in every seperate slit in each tread block to give huge gripping ability in turns.

The shop i got them at reccomended these the most, even over more expensive rubber. Although Manitoba tends to get a lot of snow. http://www.nokiantires.com

Rsi tires cannot be used in the cities I believe. I do not think that you can use studed tires.

I am going to call the local shop and see what they can get those for. If I can get winter traction for a cheap price, I am so there dood!
Oxygen

Postby Oxygen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:32 pm

Rsi is the studless version. The Hakkapeliitta 2's are the studdable ones.

I was reccomended the RSI's over the Hakka 2's because you maybe get 1-2 years out of the studs then your just on the rubber with less traction then the Rsi's would give.

I don't know if this helps, but i got my tires/rims at Kal Tire.

edit: seems there are no kal tires in the US. Nokian's site has a dealer finder.

Also i'd double check on what sizes are available if you want 18's. I was looking online and there may be some 245's.

Getting setup this winter was rather pricy for me. I needed to buy specific rims ($80ea), since i plan on getting summer rubber in spring. I believe the Rsi's were $137.00cdn each.
- Premier 860MP

- Adire Kodas

- PPI PCX 2125

- XXX 15 2cf sealed

- BEtter Audio 1600M1

Sounds awesome
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:53 pm

Oxygen

Postby Oxygen » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:47 pm

Any decent winter tire should do you well. I went with the nokians because of the huge amount of show we can get here.

I think we got like 30cm for our first snowfall, in the last 24 hours.

I'll take a picture of the Rsi's tread pattern if you want to see it.
- Premier 860MP

- Adire Kodas

- PPI PCX 2125

- XXX 15 2cf sealed

- BEtter Audio 1600M1

Sounds awesome
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:54 pm

Oxygen wrote:Any decent winter tire should do you well. I went with the nokians because of the huge amount of show we can get here.

I think we got like 30cm for our first snowfall, in the last 24 hours.

I'll take a picture of the Rsi's tread pattern if you want to see it.

I called the local dealer and he said that they do not make on for my car in that size. And the next step up, are special order. We all know what that means....$$$
Oxygen

Postby Oxygen » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:40 pm

Doh! yeah big $$. That's too bad.

There's a site out there where some rally driver reviews a bunch of diffrent makes, don't remember the site though, and it was sometime in august when i was looking.

I'm probably going out driving tonight to see how good these nokians really are, as i just dug my car out.

The ebay link you supplied looks to be a good deal, they seem to be expensive tires new. Should give nice traction, but i don't know much about michelin. I've only had a chance to look at their new X-ice tire.

Edit: here's that webpage: http://www.snowtire.info There's also a forum with lots of information.
- Premier 860MP

- Adire Kodas

- PPI PCX 2125

- XXX 15 2cf sealed

- BEtter Audio 1600M1

Sounds awesome

Return to “Automotive Performance”