Smashed rear view mirror = No audio.

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
UNIT 6639

Smashed rear view mirror = No audio.

Postby UNIT 6639 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:44 am

Fell asleep behind the wheel after working 2 16 hour shifts at work. Hit one of those orange drums near a construction site on the highway.

Rear view mirror on drivers side was broken off. The only thing left was the wire which is now blowing in the wind.

Stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things. When I was starting the car to leave I heard a click. Then the lights on the dash went out as well as the radio.

Now I cannot see anything on the instrument panel ie gas gauge, speedometer, mileage and RPM,s.

Its cool in the day time but at night I have no idea how fast I am going or how much gas is in the car.

Everything else thats electrical works in the car except the things I listed.

I checked all of the fuses and they all are fine so I have no idea what to do next. Please help.
2004 Altima 2.5s
Pioneer HU
Stock comps
eD 9.1
15" Avalanche ported
John

Postby John » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:45 am

I always thought those were usually called side or side view mirrors...

Do you have defrost or mirrors that are electrically adjustable by a motor?

UNIT 6639 wrote:Now I cannot see anything on the instrument panel ie gas gauge, speedometer, mileage and RPM,s.

So you have audio, or no audio?
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:53 am

John wrote:I always thought those were usually called side or side view mirrors...

They are, but he's probably still overly tired.

John wrote:Do you have defrost or mirrors that are electrically adjustable by a motor?

An excellent question...

John wrote:So you have audio, or no audio?

UNIT 6639 wrote:... Then the lights on the dash went out as well as the radio.

No audio, based on that statement...

UNIT 6639 wrote:... Now I cannot see anything on the instrument panel ie gas gauge, speedometer, mileage and RPM,s.

Its cool in the day time but at night I have no idea how fast I am going or how much gas is in the car.

I checked all of the fuses and they all are fine so I have no idea what to do next. Please help.

The FIRST thing you should do is get some sleep. It will do you no good to try and troubleshoot being that dead on your feet.

Check to see if you damaged anything else, and if the wires that were damaged are shorting out. Also, did you check and see if perhaps the dimmer was turned down?

Is it possible you damaged the front lights at all? You may have blown a main fuse (the big ones under the hood). Does your car have turn signal indicators in the mirrors? That could hose you, big time.

Get some rest, then get back to us.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
UNIT 6639

Postby UNIT 6639 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:54 pm

Big Mack wrote:They are, but he's probably still overly tired.

An excellent question...

No audio, based on that statement...

The FIRST thing you should do is get some sleep. It will do you no good to try and troubleshoot being that dead on your feet.

Check to see if you damaged anything else, and if the wires that were damaged are shorting out. Also, did you check and see if perhaps the dimmer was turned down?

Is it possible you damaged the front lights at all? You may have blown a main fuse (the big ones under the hood). Does your car have turn signal indicators in the mirrors? That could hose you, big time.

Get some rest, then get back to us.

Big Mack

As I type I am working yet another 16 hour shift. Anyway thanks guys, sorry if I was not clear. The car is a 2004 Altima, head lights work, turn signals work, dimmer is set as high as it will go, no turn signals in the mirrors, could not get the main fuses out only the small 15a blue ones.

Thanks guys.
2004 Altima 2.5s

Pioneer HU

Stock comps

eD 9.1

15" Avalanche ported
Show_galant

Postby Show_galant » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:47 pm

wow, that must hurt... ummm....get sleep, and get an altima manual and maybe you can then trace down the circuits....
Galants.org Creator/Originator
Behind every great fortune is a crime.
-----------------------------------------------
Galants.org
mohsye

Postby mohsye » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:58 pm

16 hours? i put in 20 hours on thursday, got 4 hours or sleep fri morning and still had time to get wasted friday night and take an ACT this morning :P should get a 28ish.

anyways.

Same thing is somewhat wrong with my car except my dash lights don't work and my cruise quit on me.
UNIT 6639

Postby UNIT 6639 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:50 am

It was a fuse I was unable to find. I checked the 2 fuse boxes under the hood and all the fuses were fine. I did not know there was another fuse boxe in the interior of the car.

Well there is and once I found that out I changed a blown fuse and everything is fine. I also got my side view mirror fixed. It needs to be painted to match the car. funny thing though, when I move the mirror with the control the signal from the radio cuts out. It didnt do that before. Oh well.
2004 Altima 2.5s

Pioneer HU

Stock comps

eD 9.1

15" Avalanche ported
RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:13 pm

look for a short in the wiring that led to the mirror
IloveFallout

Postby IloveFallout » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:05 pm

i agrwe

Return to “Automotive Performance”