Colder air = Vroom

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:05 pm

For thoes proud of barking 2nd gear in an auto and peeling out... that isnt fully due to cold air maing slightly more power...warm the tires up and see how well they do thoes things.
oh and gasmileage decreases in cold weather, denser air means more fule and when your block is cold your engine has to use more gas to keep the engine running... and driving a manual sucks because if you arent careful your first few start offs will end quickly in a stall untill the engine is warm.
Cool weather = good
cold weather = hell
hot weather = hell
elyk89

Postby elyk89 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:21 pm

CBFryman wrote:For thoes proud of barking 2nd gear in an auto and peeling out... that isnt fully due to cold air maing slightly more power...warm the tires up and see how well they do thoes things.
oh and gasmileage decreases in cold weather, denser air means more fule and when your block is cold your engine has to use more gas to keep the engine running... and driving a manual sucks because if you arent careful your first few start offs will end quickly in a stall untill the engine is warm.
Cool weather = good
cold weather = hell
hot weather = hell

that's true but it's still fun while it lasts
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:07 pm

John wrote:Plus, well, forget the engine, it's nice to drive with out shivering and shaking uncontrollably...

Troo, but if you let it warm up for 5 minutes with all vents closed, the engine should build up enough heat to throw it into the car almost immediately upon hitting the switches. And idling a car for 15 minutes absolutely KILLS the fuel economy. Besides, when it's 35º below, you are going to shiver no matter what. That's too effin cold to be outside. S'why I don't live in MI anymore...I can take cold pretty well, but the salt on the roads and idiot drivers were just far, FAR more than I could take. Plus they had some ridiculous laws saying you weren't allowed to kill stupid people...:D

Big Mack
Cuddles

Postby Cuddles » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:46 pm

CBFryman wrote:..and driving a manual sucks because if you arent careful your first few start offs will end quickly in a stall untill the engine is warm...

:cwm15: Hate when that happens. To the point of almost stalling so you have to feather the clutch to save it.
elyk89

Postby elyk89 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:43 pm

well, my cold weather fun is over... cold tires are not fun when trying to do a little autoX; ended up with one very dirty white beretta. so this is where i call it quits for my summer car. michigan winters suck.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:41 am

elyk89 wrote: michigan winters suck.

How cold is it up there? It was a balmy 88 degrees here yesterday. :p

As I said, no miss the MI winters...Image

Big Mack
elyk89

Postby elyk89 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:08 pm

it's been anywhere from 35-45.... just awesome.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:16 pm

so far the coldest its been is 38 here...yes in florida. its really going to suck when the temp starts droping below freezing and i have to start cleaning the ice of the windsheild before going to school... :(

Return to “Automotive Performance”