Intake for Auto tC?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
DeMoN2091tB

Intake for Auto tC?

Postby DeMoN2091tB » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:36 pm

I'm thinking about doing a few performance things to my tC, and i was wondering really if a Intake was worth its money......

I have a 2005 Scion tC, and its an auto. Trying to get back that extra little umpgh after installing all of my audio equipment and such, and hauling around another person in my hatch......

So is it worth the extra little bit of power, what kind of sound could i expect, and anything else.....

I would like to get a SC for my tC, but its about $3k :cwm20:
HT
Yamaha HTR-5630-Vifa P17SJ-00 6-1/2"-LPG 26NAFM-Tempest-7cf @ 21hz Eventually building towers for RS225, WR125, LPG 26nafm(or)BG Neo3

Car 2005 Scion tC
Processing-IVA-W200/H701
Amps- Next VRz 4.400, (2)2.400
Tweeter- LPG 26na
Midrange- Diyma 2" Dome
Midbass- Extremis 6.4
Substage- DIYMA Ref 12"
Raammat BXT60, Ensolite
SERG4U

Postby SERG4U » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:31 am

DeMoN2091tB wrote:I'm thinking about doing a few performance things to my tC, and i was wondering really if a Intake was worth its money......

I have a 2005 Scion tC, and its an auto. Trying to get back that extra little umpgh after installing all of my audio equipment and such, and hauling around another person in my hatch......

So is it worth the extra little bit of power, what kind of sound could i expect, and anything else.....

I would like to get a SC for my tC, but its about $3k :cwm20:

and dont forget that the SC is for 5sp only....at least for now.

I got a AEM SRI for my corolla auto. After putting on the 17" XRS matrixs wheels It made my car slower and my MPG went down.

After adding the SRI it helped. As long as you drive like you did before it will help some.
Dude but the intake sounds nice! and you with a 2.4 as were mine is 1.8 I'm sure it will sound much nicer in yours.

I think its worth it....mine was $178 I think. I would go with an SRI (Short Ram Intake) insted of a CAI (Cold Air Intake) ok As far as sound SRI sounds better. As far as performance it depends on were you hang your RPMS around. I use my car for work and I stay in the city I'm always in the 2k-3.5K rang. So for me a SRI is better. If you are always going above those RPMS then get a CAI.

You see the thing that scares me about the CAI is that the tube goes down to were your fog lights are, and if it rains alot were you live then dont get a CAI cause you can get hydro lock....in other word you no long will have an engine. You can get a bypass value. Its an opening for the intake at the mid point of the intake so your car is always getting in air.
Alpine 9855....got me the ipod hook up as well
Polk Audio db's all around
Kicker SX900.4
Kicker SX900.2
Kicker 12"L7
DeMoN2091tB

Postby DeMoN2091tB » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:13 am

It will most likely be a SRI, but i think that the pricicng for one is somewhere b/w 250-300. My car redlines around 6k IIRC, don't quote me though.

SC can work for the Auto if i read right, you just need to get the ECU recalibrated, and it takes alot of work and money......TRD has developed it i think.
HT

Yamaha HTR-5630-Vifa P17SJ-00 6-1/2"-LPG 26NAFM-Tempest-7cf @ 21hz Eventually building towers for RS225, WR125, LPG 26nafm(or)BG Neo3

Car 2005 Scion tC

Processing-IVA-W200/H701

Tweeter- LPG 26na

Midrange- Diyma 2" Dome

Midbass- Extremis 6.4

Substage- DIYMA Ref 12"

Raammat BXT60, Ensolite
josh99ta

Postby josh99ta » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:17 am

A short intake will take in hot, underhood air. Bad for performance. A cold air intake takes in air cooler than that of the engine bay, so you get a little more out of it. Doesn't have much of anything to do with your RPMs. Only the actual intake manifold runner lengths (and to a far lesser extent, the exhaust manifold lengths) will coincide with RPM differences depending on which way you go with them. A simple intake just gets the air in, just like an exhaust gets the air out.
2006 Pontiac GTO :: Stock and Staying That Way
1999 Pontiac Trans Am :: Gone but Not Forgotten
newguy

Postby newguy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:42 am

If I were you, I'd wait and check out the Scion forums until some folks get their intake setups on a dyno. I don't usually trust vendors' dyno charts. On an auto, from my experience, CAI's are better. When my '93 Altima 2.4L auto was modded, the WAI let it pull better up high but the CAI improved bottom end and still helped some up top.

And like Josh mentioned, SRIs will suck a lot of hot air unless completely protected by a chamber,etc so many times they don't tend to gain much compared to a CAI...

One other thing, some cars actually will not gain much from an aftermarket intake and can lose some throttle response, so do your research.

Jeremy
jnespappa

Postby jnespappa » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:51 pm

In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
SERG4U

Postby SERG4U » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:46 pm

yeah the tC is very nice I was going to get one, but got sick of waiting for the s/c and I had to get a car!

check out www.scionlife.com I go on there still from time to time.
Alpine 9855....got me the ipod hook up as well
Polk Audio db's all around
Kicker SX900.4
Kicker SX900.2
Kicker 12"L7
DeMoN2091tB

Postby DeMoN2091tB » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:55 pm

Thanks everyone, I just seemed to be missing my get up and go power now, the car seems more laidback and handles better than before with the added weight of the Sub box in the rear. I would just love to get a % of that power back, with my sub box still in the car. Weight is a big problem with cars like mine.....where you can definently feel the difference between driving alone, and having a person with you, or in your trunk.

My sub box weighs around 50-75lbs possibly more.....With a spare tire, and amps and such i wouldn't dobut i'm over another 100lbs or so. But the car sounds completely awesome. But i do need to redo my rear and get some carpet down and finish it all off, But i always have the thoughts of dropping my tempest, either IB somehow, or going with a sub that can do just as good if not better in a smaller box (smaller box=less weight). Parents won't let me even think about it right now though.

And i mentioned something about a few performance upgrades to the tC to them and they about skinned me for even thinking it....lol.
HT

Car 2005 Scion tC

Processing-IVA-W200/H701

Tweeter- LPG 26na

Midrange- Diyma 2" Dome

Midbass- Extremis 6.4

Substage- DIYMA Ref 12"

Raammat BXT60, Ensolite
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:14 pm

what makes me luagh is the fact that in most cars, excluding thoes such as Hyundia's which are ran pig rich from the factory, CAI gains 1-5% more power Maximum, most in the 1-3% range...you make 150whp, 3% gain gives you an amazing 4.5hp...not even enough to feel much of a difference.
this is the reason i decided agianst intake on my truck..."gains 15hp" acourding to K&N...did some research, gains 15hp on a 5.7l chevy or something like that...my truck...and amazing 3-5hp depending on the dyno used...
usually going from manifold to headers are your best bang for buck bolt on in most cars, but DO YOUR RESEARCH, fallowed by a good cat bck exaust, tune up (programer) intake.... this is especially true on inline engines which are a lot cheaper to get headers for in most cases.
if you want to make real power upgrades cams, intake manifold, headers, heads, and a proper tuning are the best way to see REAL gains. however i dont know if cams heads and all that are avalable for the tC as of yet.
nourdmrolnmt1

Postby nourdmrolnmt1 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:30 pm

better get the wind deflector repaired when they send you your recall notice first :D
god knows what im gunna do

Return to “Automotive Performance”