Saturn Sky

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
Justin W
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula, California

Saturn Sky

Postby Justin W » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:47 am

Saw one today... looks a lot like the pictures I've seen of the Pontiac Solstice... not sure how different they really are. In fact I assumed it was a Pontiac Solstice until I compared a couple shots on pontiac.com and saturn.com.

But overall a little cleaner... front end & back was nicer looking in my opinion.

Wanted to get a close look... but it looks like they were trying to do a commercial or photo shoot with it... oddly, they had the badges and logos covered with black electrical tape.

I could understand that if it was awhile ago... but they have released photos of it for quite awhile. Not sure why they had the tape.
Justin W

Listen with your ears... not someone else's.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:57 am

I believe the sky hasn't hit the market yet, only the solstice is selling as of right now.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:20 am

Dude in my building has a Pontiac Solstice. Looks neato. He has it under a car cover now.
Justin W
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula, California

Postby Justin W » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:16 pm

Sound_Miata wrote:I believe the sky hasn't hit the market yet, only the solstice is selling as of right now.

-Greer

That must have been why they were covering the badges... since it's not on the market yet... but it's not like it hasn't been announced & pictures released.

If you go to the Saturn site... it shows the Sky as a "future vehicle".
I think it's not supposed to come out until 2006... I would think by early Summer at the latest.

I'm pretty sure the picture on this page is the exact car we saw...
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/index.jsp
The one we saw had the same painted generic license plate... same silver color... and the photo looks like it was taken on the road that we saw the car (& crew) on... it's a curvy 2-lane canyon road between Simi Valley & the San Fernando Valley (near LA).

Last year in January... we saw a crew filming a commercial (or doing a photo shoot) for the new Mustang Convertible... they had the PCH (northwest of Malibu) all closed off...
Justin W

RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:46 pm

hopefully it doesn't have a **** poor mechanical durability.
nismo

Postby nismo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:57 pm

Much as I hate GM, the Ecotec motor under the hood is likely to prove a VERY stout motor long-term. There's probably gonna be a few parts that won't be real durable, but overall GM is getting better. :)

Eric
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:29 pm

is the Sky the FF version of the Vaxuall 220?
nismo

Postby nismo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm not familiar with the Vauxhall, but the Sky/Solstice are front engine-RWD cars. So I'm gonna hypothesize that they're not likely the same car...the Sky/Solstice are a brand new chassis IIRC.

Eric
Justin W

Postby Justin W » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:18 pm

CBFryman wrote:is the Sky the FF version of the Vaxuall 220?

I think they are pretty different...

Vauxhall 220 = Lotus Elise... for the most part... pretty sure they both use a Toyota engine.
Justin W

CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:39 pm

same frame, different body different suspension set up.

however they said they where going to have a FF version of the "220" throuhg saturn in comming years about 1 1/2 years ago on top gear avalable in america. nothing in the same as far as perfomrance/drivetrain but the body and chassis will be similar.

Return to “Automotive Performance”