AutoX and Stock ClassD

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:35 pm

Son of a *****... that sucks...
Oh well, saved me money i guess..

Not going to get a catback, but i'll do most of the rest...
Good tires
Good brake pads
Bleed brakes (good idea)
Higher flowage air filter (K&N Still a good choice?)
Shocks... hrm..? Got any suggestions? The wrx forums are very useless in this regard. They can teach me 900 ways to go fast in a straight line, or to drag, but no one has any ideas about suspension.

Looks like I can go front sway bar too, just not rear. contemplating that, but it seems it may not be that helpful.

Thanks for the help Greer, i was looking back in history the other day to when you passed me in postcount...
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:56 pm

K&N will work

shocks, depends on how serious you want to get, from koni single adjustables to double (compression & rebound) adjustable Konis that run 400 a piece...are we talking national or regional competitive? (prob neither until you go full dot race rubber) Bilsteins are a nice choice as well, I just prefer konis (if avail) as I like the adjustability over the KYB's. Tein also apparently has a nice set but I've never driven them. In the miata, the bilstein kit I test drove was just...harsh

a bigger front sway would make it understeer even more, only way I'd go to a different front sway would be if I could go to a hollow bar of the same diameter, or a slightly smaller diameter, this would shave some weight up front and slightly smaller would give you bit faster turn in and less oversteer. The draw back is that it would be a slightly more "floppy" in track situations where the same front and a bigger rear bar would be more beneficial.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 pm

ok, stock shocks it is... 400/ea sounds ubar expensive.

what do you think:
The Azenis RT-615 in 205/40R16 size(898 revs/mi), or the
Hankook in any of the following sizes..
215/45ZR16 854 revs/mi
225/45ZR16 841 revs/mi
245/45ZR16 817 revs/mi
205/50ZR16 838 revs/mi
225/50ZR16 811 revs/mi
205/55ZR16 811 revs/mi
Stock size is P205/55R16 = 811 revs/mi.

I'm probably going to go with the Hankook 225/50 myself. Other choice is 225/45 IMO.

Both will kinda fit on a 6.5" rim.

-NDG

Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:30 pm

having never driven the hankooks I can't comment on them but I did like the azeni's when I drove em.

well koni single adjustables can be had much cheaper, they just aren't what i would say is a nationals level shock setup. Tirerack has Koni single adjustables at $168/$163 (f/r) respectively.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*

slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
khaosman

Postby khaosman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:54 pm

If you are racing just to have fun, which I assume you are, don't worry too much about what class you are in. These Iowa events aren't that huge anyhow :)

Those Koni single adjustables would be a good start, along with the rubber. Your car will handle so much better too. Maybe throw in some stiffer springs (which would change your class though). Plus cars look so much better lowered :D

The most important thing is getting more drive time in. I'm fiending for some racing... arg!
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:29 pm

Pretty sure the Waterloo,IA and the Des Moines, IA events are as far from nationals as you can possibly get (except maybe North Dakota, buffalo riding never caught on in scca)

The wrx forums are all happy about the hankook tires. I guess the azenis are a little better tire, but don't come in appropriate sizes for the wrx, so until late '06, the kooks are the tire to beat.

I'll look into those adjustables. I'm going to try to compete stock for a year, then i'll consider STX'ing against you khaos.. :)

khaosman

Postby khaosman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:59 pm

The Hankooks are considerably cheaper than the Azenis as well. If for some reason I don't go R-comp this spring, then I'll probably give them a shot as well.

Well... I suppose the only thing that makes us close to Nationals is Chuck Hemmingson driving at a few events. He is a Subaru driver (professional, I believe) and flat-out amazing. Fast fast fast and consistent. He won Touring 2 at the SCCA runoffs... it'll be on speed channel next week, Monday or Tuesday @ 3am (not sure which day).

hehehe., it'll be fun to race :D You'd probably beat me, too much weight and not enough power!

Return to “Automotive Performance”