price of tint from local stereo shop ...

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
kevox

price of tint from local stereo shop ...

Postby kevox » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:37 pm

$250 + tax to remove the current tint
$250 + tax to put new, darker (he said 35%, is this actually dark enough that you can't see through?) tint on.

I was like :eek: awefully exhorbitant rates aren't they!!

What is the general price for getting windows tinted (dark tint)?? This is on a 97 Eagle Talon so it's not like there's a lot of windows...

I also found it funny how their 4 gauge Stinger wiring kit was $80 and he didn't know what the Big Three was when I was telling him why I needed more 0 guage than I bought LOL.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
WeDgE

Postby WeDgE » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:46 am

You can remove your old tint in about 20 mins with an industrial razor blade... ;)

Otherwise I'd say he's a bit on the high end for new tint. I would think $180 + tax is a good figure for a Talon.
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:25 am

i paid $210 for my z to be tinted with %20. From what i've seen, tint looks a bit darker than it actually is on eclipses/talons. %35 will probably give you a semi-dark smoked look.

As for removing the tint - do it yourself with a razorblade. If you have a rear window defroster, I'd suggest getting the tint removed professionally from it as long as the will guarantee they won't ruin the defroster lines. I knicked a few lines on mine, and it takes significantly longer to melt ice/frost now.
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
--m--

Postby --m-- » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:48 am

Seems high to me I had my hatchback tinted 3% for $190 CDN with a lifetime waranty. Razor blades and window cleaner with amonia works wonders for taking off old tint. It is time consuming though. %35 tint you will be able to see through. get him to show you some samples before you decide. If you want it very dark (sucks for backing up) your gonna want minimum 20%. Limo black is 5% or less.
Once you've hit rock bottom there's only one way to go....sideways
KU40

Postby KU40 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:01 am

only experience I have with this is I had to get new tint put on a window after I had to get it replaced following a break in on my car, and it was only 30 dollars for the passenger side window. I got the darkest tint that was legal, which I think is 35%
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
i-need-bass

Postby i-need-bass » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:01 am

my brother had his accord tinted and i think it cost about 240.
RE Audio Thump Wagon of Rochester

2 12" RE Audio SX/HC hybrids
Amp...Coming soon...maybe lanzar 2000d or something else
Pioneer DEH-2700-soon to change
Polk Audio DB525 5 1/4" Coaxials

4 cu ft tuned to 32 Hz
kevox

Postby kevox » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:40 pm

black300zx wrote:i paid $210 for my z to be tinted with %20. From what i've seen, tint looks a bit darker than it actually is on eclipses/talons. %35 will probably give you a semi-dark smoked look.

As for removing the tint - do it yourself with a razorblade. If you have a rear window defroster, I'd suggest getting the tint removed professionally from it as long as the will guarantee they won't ruin the defroster lines. I knicked a few lines on mine, and it takes significantly longer to melt ice/frost now.

Dang, is 20% legal where you are? This guy told me 35% was "about" the lowest they could go while staying legal. It's very good to know about this razor blade method:) ALthough my rear window does have defroster lines through it so I guesss that's a no-go.

So would you suggest I take the front 4 window's tint off and then have just the rear window for a professional to de-tint or just have him de-tint everything? Just so I'm clear on that one...
Seems high to me I had my hatchback tinted 3% for $190 CDN with a lifetime waranty.

If you can see through 35%, it's definitely not dark enough! 3% though...that sounds insane lol. He said limo tint was illegal, why? I don't understand why I couldn't at least get limo tint on my rear 3 windows? Isn't my property MY OWN business???? --m--, do you have any pics of your tint:D?
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:54 pm

kevox wrote:Dang, is 20% legal where you are? This guy told me 35% was "about" the lowest they could go while staying legal.

Nope - 70% is the lowest you can get legally in my area. It literally looks like saran wrap. That being said, i've never once gotten hassled for it in 2 years. Cops around me only will hassle you for it if they're looking for a reason to pull you over. In fact, i was pulled over for an illegal left turn last feb or march. It was night and my windows were up. I rolled both front windows down after i pulled over, and the cop didn't question me about it, even though it was about 30 out:cwm12:

kevox wrote:So would you suggest I take the front 4 window's tint off and then have just the rear window for a professional to de-tint or just have him de-tint everything? Just so I'm clear on that one...

I'd say do all 4 side windows yourself, and leave the hatch to the pros as long as they say they won't knick the lines. On my hatch, the bottom half of it doesn't have lines. If yours is like that, i'd do everything except within maybe 2" of the lines. That should minimize costs for removal.

kevox wrote:If you can see through 35%, it's definitely not dark enough! 3% though...that sounds insane lol. He said limo tint was illegal, why? I don't understand why I couldn't at least get limo tint on my rear 3 windows? Isn't my property MY OWN business???? --m--, do you have any pics of your tint:D?

Yea, 35% is a bit light for my tastes. %20 give a nice dark smoked look, without really hindering vision much. In my area, all windows behind the front side windows don't have a limit. You could paint them if you wanted. The reason there is limits on how dark you can go is mainly for police safety. When you're approaching a car with extremely dark tint, you have no clue what's going on inside. For all you know, they could have a gun up to the window waiting for you to come up.

When i get home this afternoon i'll take pics of my windows to give you an idea of what 20% looks like.
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
kevox

Postby kevox » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:51 pm

WOW, 70% is the lowest you can go in your area legally! That's aweful. I appreciate the input and look forward to those pics:)

black300zx wrote:In my area, all windows behind the front side windows don't have a limit.
That's good to hear...means it might be like that here too:)
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:56 pm

DOH!! forgot to get pics:(

heres an old pic where you can see the tint on the hatch and sides. I'll try to get a better one tommorow
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride

Return to “Automotive Performance”