why would someone do this to my car?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
kevox

Postby kevox » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:35 am

grassroots421 wrote:
...that's not a tsi is it?

haha I wish, TSI is the turbo model correct? Mine is as base as you can get...lol. 4cylinder, manual windows, manual door locks, no hatch release button (has to be opened from the back with a key...) but at least it requires a gas release button to gain access to the gas tank (Y) SO people can't just walk up and steal my gas...
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
kevox

Postby kevox » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:39 am

black300zx wrote:

The good thing is that your cars paint isn't faded, and looks to be in fairly nice shape. It should be cake for a decent shop to just repaint that small area and blend it in.

Oh you think so? THat's awesome news! Maybe I will look into it...thanks for the hope you have restored in me:) lol
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
NDMstang65

Postby NDMstang65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:57 am

ok thats all i needed to know...definately time for a trip to the body shop
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:12 am

kevox wrote:Oh you think so? THat's awesome news! Maybe I will look into it...thanks for the hope you have restored in me:) lol

Yea. Do you really think they repaint the whole car or panel for every little fender bender:cwm12:

I'd guess it might be a couple hundred
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
NDMstang65

Postby NDMstang65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:40 am

It's a metallic red

it'l be more then a couple hundred in materials alone :)

1/2 pint of a metallic red for a nissan pickup that we painted the tailgate for last year was 68 bucks....not including thinner, clear coat, hardner or any materials to tape the whole truck off from over spray...

paint/body work aint cheap :)
black00

Postby black00 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:49 am

look dude.........
take that part off......
take it to Abra auto body.....
find a guy about 25 years old that paints up in that joint......
And tell him you'll give him $50 bux to repaint it in his spare time.
He'll do it.......they all work on the side..
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:19 am

NDMstang65 wrote:It's a metallic red

it'l be more then a couple hundred in materials alone :)

1/2 pint of a metallic red for a nissan pickup that we painted the tailgate for last year was 68 bucks....not including thinner, clear coat, hardner or any materials to tape the whole truck off from over spray...

paint/body work aint cheap :)

To touch up a maybe 2'x1' section:confused: When I painted my whole z metalic black, i only spent about 3-400 in paint. You probably payed ALOT more than a shop will pay for it. Yes red is an expensive color, but not THAT expensive.

Thinner, hardner, clear coat, and other painting supplies the shop will buy in bulk, so the prices will be MUCH cheaper than you paid.
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
black00

Postby black00 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:21 am

black300zx wrote:To touch up a maybe 2'x1' section:confused: When I painted my whole z metalic black, i only spent about 3-400 in paint. You probably payed ALOT more than a shop will pay for it. Yes red is an expensive color, but not THAT expensive.

Thinner, hardner, and clear coat the shop will buy in bulk, so the prices will be MUCH cheaper than you paid.

Um...ndmstang's family business is exactly that....a body shop / paint shop...he knows what he's talkin about...

on the side note...if you do what i said.....the painter will probably just gank the paint and clear coat from the paint closet and do it under the radar...
NDMstang65

Postby NDMstang65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:22 am

black300zx wrote:To touch up a maybe 2'x1' section:confused: When I painted my whole z metalic black, i only spent about 3-400 in paint. You probably payed ALOT more than a shop will pay for it. Yes red is an expensive color, but not THAT expensive.

Thinner, hardner, clear coat, and other painting supplies the shop will buy in bulk, so the prices will be MUCH cheaper than you paid.

i have a body shop 30 feet from my house

with a ppg mixing rack

trust me, i know what it costs.
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:33 am

:)
black00 wrote:Um...ndmstang's family business is exactly that....a body shop / paint shop...he knows what he's talkin about...

on the side note...if you do what i said.....the painter will probably just gank the paint and clear coat from the paint closet and do it under the radar...

So is my dad's:)

I'm not doubting that it might be more than a couple hundred, but i've painted 2 of my own cars(w/ help of my dad), and my wheels for my z. Paint for my daytona was around 300(plain black), paint for my z was 350-400(Oem metalic black), and paint for my 4 16" wheels was about 50-75(an oem toyota metalic grey).

I'm not saying that my "estimate" on the price was right, as it was just a semi-educated guess. I just had a hard time believing that paint to re-do a spot that small would cost a couple hundred alone. If metallic red paint really is 3-4x the price of metallic black, then i guess i'm wrong.

Obviously the prices i paid for the paint weren't the prices you'd pay if you walked into an automotive sherman williams as a consumer. Now if shops charge the customer more for the paint than they pay, I'll proceed to put my foot in my mouth:)(ie - retail price is 500/gallon, shop pays 300/gallon, but charges the customer 500).
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride

Return to “Automotive Performance”