why would someone do this to my car?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
fugyaself

Postby fugyaself » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:44 am

NDMstang65 wrote:no no no wait a second

can you hang your fingernail in the scratches?

if you cant hang your nail in it you stand a chance with LIGHTLY sanding it with hot soapy water and 2000 grit sandpaper....then buffing the clear coat back out with some 3m finishing compound called finesse-it...

Best stuff ever!

You really should try and buff that out. I cant tell if that grey is the primer or just a light reflection from the scratch in the clear. Either way, most of that can be buffed out. You might be ok with anything that is left.
"Part of understanding is actually comprehending the reasoning behind the statements, not just the grammatical structure." - Dan Wiggins

"And no, dont smoke your cone - either acidentally or on purpose" - Kyle

Americanism
black00

Postby black00 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:46 am

black300zx wrote::)

Now if shops charge the customer more for the paint than they pay, I'll proceed to put my foot in my mouth:)(ie - retail price is 500/gallon, shop pays 300/gallon, but charges the customer 500).

THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT!

Now you got it.
Now if your dad helped you.....
You didn't pay for labor
You didn't pay tax
You didn't pay for mark up on paint.

This world aint free homie ;)
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:09 pm

[quote="black00"]THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT!

Now you got it.
Now if your dad helped you.....
You didn't pay for labor
You didn't pay tax
You didn't pay for mark up on paint.

This world aint free homie ]
:) I'm plenty aware of all the costs i DIDN'T have to pay for. Factoring in labor, it would have probably been a ~2k paint job. If you include all the body work i did, probably 3k or so.

I was simply talking about cost of paint, and that based on the cost of paint for what i've done, i found it hard to believe that paint for that little spot would alone be a couple hundred.

Didn't realize shops marked up paint too. Wanna come up and help me stick my foot in my mouth, since i'm having a bit of trouble with it:cwm21:
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:50 pm

no, most scratches are in the clear coat. They don't get down to the bare metal of the body. The clear coat is a clear layer of paint that goes over the car. By removing part of that layer with the buffing compound, you may be essentially able to remove the appearance of the scrath. Most of that silver color you see could be transfer from the key (keys are plated in nickel or chrome or brass, all are metals that transfer easilly to other surfaces). To demonstrate this, take your keys and rub them on a piece of paper. You may see a little grey mark. If not then just pretend like you do, for the purpose of this discussion. If you use a buffing compound (think of it as very fine sand paper in liquid form) and it doesn't go away, then you are sh*t out of luck, and will have to get that area painted.
NDMstang65

Postby NDMstang65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:03 pm

fugyaself wrote:Best stuff ever!

You really should try and buff that out. I cant tell if that grey is the primer or just a light reflection from the scratch in the clear. Either way, most of that can be buffed out. You might be ok with anything that is left.

Yep

That stuff + green 3m foam buffing pad = teh shine! :)

- Course i charge the people retail for the paint, i go by the book...what the book says to charge is what they get charged.
fugyaself

Postby fugyaself » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:08 pm

NDMstang65 wrote:Yep

That stuff + green 3m foam buffing pad = teh shine! :)

- Course i charge the people retail for the paint, i go by the book...what the book says to charge is what they get charged.

It even smells good :)
"Part of understanding is actually comprehending the reasoning behind the statements, not just the grammatical structure." - Dan Wiggins

"And no, dont smoke your cone - either acidentally or on purpose" - Kyle

Americanism
black00

Postby black00 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:21 pm

black300zx wrote:
Didn't realize shops marked up paint too. Wanna come up and help me stick my foot in my mouth, since i'm having a bit of trouble with it:cwm21:

;) na man...you still young....i been around 30 years.....you live and learn...you just learned something new thats all...... we all here to help share what we know right!?
NDMstang65

Postby NDMstang65 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:37 pm

fugyaself wrote:It even smells good :)

Sho does! :) :cwm22:
kevox

Postby kevox » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Well I now have even more marks on my car:cwm15: Although this time not from vandalism, just some irresponsible people that accidentally hit other people's cars when opening their doors !! :@ I noticed a new spot on the driver's side quarter panel today as well as two, yes TWO, little marks (about 2" away from each other, almost parallel, about .5" long) to the lower right of the spiral:cwm15:

Man before you know it I'm gonna need a whole paint job:(
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:44 pm

that's why I drive a crappy old car, no clear coat, plain white paint, nothing that looks special, everyone just looks over the thing, Now, on the other hand once I put my truck on the road, I will be the most paranoid person in Canada...

Nigel
'03 S-dime ext. Cab.
Dropped 3" all around
Shadow billet grill
De-Trimmed/De-Badged
18" Beyern Type Five's in Hyper Silver
Nexen N3000 245/45ZR18 rubber
Eurolite clear tails
clear corners
Truxedo Truxsport Tonneau Cover

Alpine CDA-7998 source unit
Clarion SRS 1686 6.5" comp set up front