Some new goodies for the Z

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
black300zx

Some new goodies for the Z

Postby black300zx » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:38 pm

Since january or so i've been picking up some goodies for the Z. Over x-mas break i picked up a wrecked '90 5speed for a parts car. My engine's getting up there in miles, and i saw this as an opportunity to get an engine cheap to put in down the road. I paid $550 for the car. I kept the engine(runs), trans, power steering rack(mines on it's last leg), differential, axles, MINT dashboard(mines beat), and still wound up selling $500 worth of parts from it, so i more or less got all of the above for $50 :)

Anyway, a couple vendors were having winter sales that ended around the end of January, so i spend that $500 on some goodies.

Jim Wolf Tech. "pop charger" intake ($90) and an ASP underdrive pulley($125 w/ belts) purchased from Import Parts Pro:

Stainless headers from AMZ performance. Regulary 350 + shipping. On sale for 300 shipped

Got a NICE tax return check, so i picked up some more goodies from Courtesy Nissan last week.

120k mile maintenance kit. Includes the timing belt, TB tensioner, both TB idler pulleys, new studs for the tensioner and pulleys, water pump, t-stat, cam seals, springs and seals for the VTC, and a bunch of other stuff that is easy to replace with the front of the engine apart - $480

and since i was paying shipping for the 120k kit, i figured i'd pick up the "Fairlady Z" decal for my 3rd brake light

One of these coming weekends I'll finally start tearing down the engine to see what it needs. I'm not in any rush to swap the engine in, so I'm making sure it's fresh as possible before it goes in. I know buying the headers seem kinds back-asswards since the rest of the exhaust is bone stock, but they're a PITA to put on with the engine in the car, so i figured it would save ALOT of headache down the road. I've got a 5lb pretzel barrel that i've dedicated as my "exhaust fund". I throw all my spare change in it, and a few buck every week or so. I've got about 40-50 since mid-january, so i'm hoping to have a few hundred by the end of the year.
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:05 pm

Is that your spooge sock on the floor......:D
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:20 pm

:confused: I don't see a sock
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
newguy

Postby newguy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:24 pm

I remember reading that the VG's stock cam gears could be adjusted. I think SCC mentioned that most were off by enough of a margin to make a noticeable difference....Those headers should make a nice little difference..mine did.

I don't know how much of a mechanic you are, but I picked up a little 'kit' that interfaces directly with my Altima's ECU via the Consult port and I get to watch things like A/F, MAF voltage, O2, TPS, timing,etc in real time. Only ended up costing $150 shipped w/the USB hookup. You need a laptop though...

Jeremy
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:49 pm

newguy wrote:I remember reading that the VG's stock cam gears could be adjusted. I think SCC mentioned that most were off by enough of a margin to make a noticeable difference....Those headers should make a nice little difference..mine did.

Yea, from what i've seen, the headers get you a nice gain(relative to other bolt ons).

If it was scc that had the silver or white project 300zxTT, i'd take anything they say with a grain of salt. They had some basic mods on it, and were dynoing it at 7lbs of boost and wondering why it wasn't making even stock numbers. Yea - stock boost is 9lbs and the car was stuck in safety boost:cwm11:
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
Ezekiel81923

Postby Ezekiel81923 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:52 pm

u forgot some things

like an intercooler

and turbos...at least two
Pioneer -- A/D/S -- AA Poly Mids -- Helix Dark Blue --
-- Orion HCCA -- Oz Matrix Elites -- Stinger -- Knukonceptz

Next In Line: a/d/s P4100
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 pm

Ezekiel81923 wrote:u forgot some things

like an intercooler

and turbos...at least two

and if i'm going that route, lower compression pistons, a boost controller, new exhaust manifolds, downpipes, piping for the intercoolers, bigger injectors, new or reprogrammed ecu, yadda yadda yadda.

If i were to go turbo, i'd buy a wrecked TT as a donor and swap everything. Add a full exhaust, reprogrammed ecu, lightweight flywheel, sport clutch, and a 1 piece driveshaft and my z should be pretty damn fun:)
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
Slusbe

Postby Slusbe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:48 am

^^well hey, you got lucky with that last wrecked Z, might get lucky again...:)

can't wait to hear how all the goodies perform, and having all those extra parts for $50 is just awesome. Where do you store all that anyway?
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:42 am

Slusbe wrote:^^well hey, you got lucky with that last wrecked Z, might get lucky again...:)

can't wait to hear how all the goodies perform, and having all those extra parts for $50 is just awesome. Where do you store all that anyway?

Don't really have the time for a TT swap right now anyway.

As for the parts, the engine's on an engine stand at my dad's shop, the trans is underneath it. The axles and steering rack are up in this loft at his shop. The dashboard is sitting on the front of the '70 mach 1 in my garage, an the diff is sittin on the floor in the garage.

Hopefully I should get to the track in a month or two and get some times:)
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
grassroots421

Postby grassroots421 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:31 pm

those are some sick looking headers for 300 bucks!
Premier P960mp | Autotek MM3000.1 @ .35ohm | MT 18 | YT Starter | HC2000 Secondary | ZX 650.4 | RS 6.5s front and rear

Return to “Automotive Performance”