My new project... "WTH was I thinking?"

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
nismo

My new project... "WTH was I thinking?"

Postby nismo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:20 am

Last Friday, I picked up a Tornado Red 1991 Audi Coupe Quattro just southeast of Pittsburg, PA. It is a 2.3 liter inline 5 cylinder with 4 valves/cylinder. These cars were only made from 1990 to 1991, and a total of about 1730 of them were imported during those years. They are a bit of a rarity, as the one I own is the only one I've actually been around. This car ONLY came with a stick, and has about 170 hp @ 3300 lbs. It's not a speed record holder, but it feels fast.

I have limited experience with automotive repair, so this is definitely going to be a learning experience. Audi's are one of the most durable vehicles around, but from a reliability standpoint, they suck. The mechanicals don't break, even when throwing 3-5x the stock hp through the AWD tranny. The problems with them are nearly always electrical or vacuum-based. As a side note, a clutch job is booked as 7.5 hours of labor :).

I'm about to start my journey into maintaining and modifying my car.

From what I've seen so far, my car needs the following:
-Rust fixed
-Underbody coating removed and replaced (considering Line-X spray on bedliner)
-Tranny bushings
-Diff Bushings
-Control Arm bushings
-New shifter (gonna be Billzcat)
-Brake lines (mine are rusted to hell)
-MC/SC removal and replacement

Things I want to do:
-Torsen rear diff (purchased)
-PT code 3.6 V8 swap (purchased)
-Audio system - will be documented completely
-S2 front/rear bumper (European OEM)
-RS2 headlights (European OEM)
-B4 hood (Next generation US OEM)
-S2 hubs (European OEM)
-Big brakes (hopefully Porsche Big Reds)
-RS4 18" wheels

Right now, I'm not hardly making any money, but I stand a good chance of tripling my income here soon...which will feed my new-found addiction nicely. Pics are currently at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/illusionsnismo/album?.dir=7856

Comments?

Eric
nismo

Postby nismo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:03 am

Here's a pic of the goal of my modifications (though in coupe form):

Eric
KU40

Postby KU40 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:22 am

just don't get rims like the car in that first picture has and you'll be ok for looks I think. good luck with the project, sounds like a bit of work. but it's pretty cool that it's so rare.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:38 am

toss a total repaint in man, reds are hard to match, especially doing front/rear bumpers & hood! otherwise fun choice.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
nismo

Postby nismo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:22 am

KU40 wrote:just don't get rims like the car in that first picture has and you'll be ok for looks I think. good luck with the project, sounds like a bit of work. but it's pretty cool that it's so rare.

That pic is of the car from the factory...I already have those wheels. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they're growing on me.

Sound Miata wrote:toss a total repaint in man, reds are hard to match, especially doing front/rear bumpers & hood! otherwise fun choice.

-Greer

I'm gonna have to get a repaint for the rust that's on my car :( But I'm not sure whether to keep bright red (not a huge fan), but then again the car looks great in that color. If I don't keep it, it'll probably get sprayed in Nogaro Blue from newer Audi's.

Eric
E`40

Postby E`40 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:26 pm

looks like a fun project.....good luck to ya,..hope the job turns out in your favor....
http://www.termpro.com/asp/competitorstats.asp?Competitor_ID=32722

Kinetik Power Cells
Ohio Generator
Hooker Audio