exhaust noise

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
andi

exhaust noise

Postby andi » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:48 pm

hi i just got a borla exhaust with a 3" straight pipe installed on my lincoln aviator. it sounds great and all but after the while the noise inside the cabin gets a little annoying. does anyone know if borla makes a silencer or the use of dynamat to dampen the outside noise?
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:45 am

Replace the Catback with the Borla Hush. That'd do it.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:47 am

other alternative is to change the note just a bit by using an inline resonator. This will deepen the tone a bit and will normally get rid of the internal drone, after that, you are looking at replacing the muffler to something quieter as NDGeist said or dynamating/insulating around the exhaust to prevent the noise from getting in. However, think, if your exhaust is annoying you in the car....what is it doing to those driving around you?

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:48 pm

Yeah, you could dynamat under the carpet in the far back, and that would help a bit. But the mentality that "everyone else should hear this, but I think it's annoying" is f'ing dumb and you should be sterilized for having said opinion.

I'd replace the cat-back with a less noticable version, or do what greer said. But yeah, think of society. No one wants to hear your small wang compensation 2 blocks away (that goes for you too, Harley riders).
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!

There are only 10 types of people in the world,

those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:28 am

Sound_Miata wrote:if your exhaust is annoying you in the car....what is it doing to those driving around you?

-Greer

Well said.

I don't know about you guys, but I get extremely impressed and envious as soon as I hear a loud car coming down the street. I could only wish to be that cool. :rolleyes:

Your car has a muffler for a reason. Do everyone around you a favour and find a better way to get your jollies.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero

Return to “Automotive Performance”