buying power mirrors...

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
kevox

buying power mirrors...

Postby kevox » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:38 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8060807100&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
I'm thinkin' about buying those because a) they're powered and my stock ones are not

and

b) That would give me an easy place to put the RE tweets on the interior of my car rather than fiberglassing a whole new set of pillars...

BUt my question is this: do I need to buy a separate power mirror kit to actually be able to use those or will they come with their dedicated mirror toggle button(s)? If th ey don't come with the button(s), how much would a set cost and where can I get some?
edit: oh and my current mirrors are black, as well as the top of my car so those would blend in perfectly without needing to be painted.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
John

Postby John » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:14 pm

Ask the seller, I don't know that anyone can really say...As in, are they simply a replacement, or a complete new system? I'd be worried if they had all the necessary connections and wiring in addition to the controls, and that the motoring units come with/are in the mirrors as your vehicle doesn't have them...you could also look for some mirrors with a heating / defrost unit...
kevox

Postby kevox » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Ok, I will ask the seller.

But power mirrors with defroster's built in! That's awesome and I'd so need one of those for next winter. Any idea where to find such a piece?
John

Postby John » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:31 pm

...junkyard...lol, no idea, never had to buy and/or install (newer) mirrors before, just the old metal and glass ones...

I don't like those mirrors you have linked to, with the additional lights. I'd get some with no lights at all, but that's just me...

Guessing you are willing to play around and work on the install, not something that'll just fit up easily...That might be another thing to think about, the amount of work required to do this. If you are willing to work, go for something a little different, as in more sport/stream lined, idk get some corvette mirrors or something...lol
kevox

Postby kevox » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:37 pm

John wrote:...junkyard...lol, no idea, never had to buy and/or install (newer) mirrors before, just the old metal and glass ones...

I don't like those mirrors you have linked to, with the additional lights. I'd get some with no lights at all, but that's just me...

Guessing you are willing to play around and work on the install, not something that'll just fit up easily...That might be another thing to think about, the amount of work required to do this. If you are willing to work, go for something a little different, as in more sport/stream lined, idk get some corvette mirrors or something...lol

Yeah I plan to put some fiberglass work into it to make the tweets fit but the thing is: I'm new to fiberglass so I don't wanna get in too deep if I don't have to and it'd be a heck of a lot easier to fiberglass a ~4"H x 2.5"D triangle than a whole pillar from the dash to the roof on each side! So that's what makes me wanna get new mirrors...to eliminate the stock knob there that I have to use to adjust the mirrors and which makes it impossible for me to put my tweets in there.

I don't care for the lights too much either (although they are a lot nicer than the Diablo power mirrors on ebay...) but their only seems to be 3 options for power mirrors on ebay (at least when I search for Eclipse and Talon mirrors) and one of them doesn't have the lights BUT it looks like it is scratched up (despite being brand new, like a bad paint job or something) so I don't wanna go with it.

If I knew where else to get power mirros (without spending a lot of cash) I would definitely reconsider my options.
John

Postby John » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:59 pm

Imo...I would reconsider this totally, and look to spend more on it, possibly quite a bit more. Looking at those ebay mirrors, the price (cheap), and that what they are made of is also not mentioned...you may get stuck with some really cheap/thin abs peice of crap you wouldn't want to use. Since you mentioned you're willing to work on it with fg, you may want to look at something made out of fiberglass (at least the base...
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:53 pm

John wrote:Imo...I would reconsider this totally, and look to spend more on it, possibly quite a bit more. Looking at those ebay mirrors, the price (cheap), and that what they are made of is also not mentioned...you may get stuck with some really cheap/thin abs peice of crap you wouldn't want to use. Since you mentioned you're willing to work on it with fg, you may want to look at something made out of fiberglass (at least the base...

I agree completely. 2 reasons. A) the power motors cost more than that in a decent mirror, so there's no way they made an extruded housing, mounting bracket, and did all necessary testing to be a quality product 2) those lights are HIGHLY ILLEGAL. You are 100% not allowed to have a blue light like that facing the front of the vehicle. It's akin to having strobes or red lights on the front -- a MAJOR no no to the po po. If you get caught having those, you could face serious charges (like impersonating a police vehicle) in many states. Yes, I know your car is far removed from looking like a po po mobile, but it doesn't matter. And yes, I am speaking as someone who's seen it happen in front of them. I told the guy not to do it, and he did it anyway. Served him right, and it cost him upward of $800 in fines. If you really want power mirrors, search a junkyard and ask them if they are a member of your states auto recycling group. Many times, they can put a call out for you for free to the other yards in the area and around the state to see about pieces like that. I've used this service several times in locating new interior pieces for friend's vehicles (power seats rock!). Most of the time you can get pretty damn good deals, too. We got a set of unpowered buckets with mounting brackets that worked and were completely clean for $100 for an S-10. Bolted right into the factory location for the bench, and were far more comfortable. Gave the truck a completely new look for a ridiculously cheap price. I'd look into it heavily :)

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
John

Postby John » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:07 pm

Oh, idea...what was that site with all the used parts listings? I know a few people have used it/mentioned it here...
kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:40 am

John wrote:Imo...I would reconsider this totally, and look to spend more on it, possibly quite a bit more. Looking at those ebay mirrors, the price (cheap), and that what they are made of is also not mentioned...you may get stuck with some really cheap/thin abs peice of crap you wouldn't want to use. Since you mentioned you're willing to work on it with fg, you may want to look at something made out of fiberglass (at least the base...

You make a very good point.

I had no idea the blue lights were illegal; I'm definitely not getting that set now!
I don't even konw where a junkyard is around here so that's not an alternative for me. Guess I'll just have to look harder and not expect to end up with the tweets in those easy spots:(

Return to “Automotive Performance”