buying power mirrors...

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
John

Postby John » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:11 am

kevox wrote:I had no idea the blue lights were illegal

No offense intended, that is kind of a common sense thing...but you are of canadian origin as well...so we'll let it slide... :D :P
kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:34 am

John wrote:No offense intended, that is kind of a common sense thing...but you are of canadian origin as well...so we'll let it slide... :D :P

It's just that I see cars driving around with what I perceive to be blue'ish lights (disclaimer: lol) and I always assume they're stock (since they're not too uncommon) so I didn't think they were illegal.

Green/Gold lights are still legal right? Thinking of the ones on NFS: Underground...not any particular ones I've found.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:53 am

kevox wrote:It's just that I see cars driving around with what I perceive to be blue'ish lights (disclaimer: lol) and I always assume they're stock (since they're not too uncommon) so I didn't think they were illegal.

Green/Gold lights are still legal right? Thinking of the ones on NFS: Underground...not any particular ones I've found.

Are you referring to HID's as stock headlights? They have a bluish hue to them, and yes, they are legal provided they were original equipment on the vehicle. Aftermarket kits are normally NOT approved by the DOT. If strictly enforced, such as the stings I've read about in CA (the state, not the country up north), can lead to some good fines/impounding of the vehicle. How's this one grab you...you modify the car for better drivability, put better parts in that will last longer. You lower the car 1 inch. Because your headlights are now below the minimum distance to the ground, they can impound it.

As for the green/gold, it depends on where they are, if they flash/strobe, and how big they are. If they are being used as turn signals, gold (I'm thinking more like amber) lights are fine, but it's not legal to have green lights. Turn signal indicators on the front of a vehicle are supposed to be amber. "Clear corners" and products like that are NOT approved by the DOT. It's amazing to me the amount of products that are sold that are illegal to use on street vehicles, but have a small disclaimer to prevent people from suing. "You didn't read the 'fine print' " is their way of protecting themselves.

Like I said, find some stock ones. There's gotta be a junkyard that's not farther than a fone call, right? (they have this amazing thing called "FedEx" now) ;)

Big Mack
John

Postby John » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:06 pm

Big Mack wrote:It's amazing to me the amount of products that are sold that are illegal to use on street vehicles, but have a small disclaimer to prevent people from suing. "You didn't read the 'fine print' " is their way of protecting themselves.

Offroad use only, check your local laws...:cwm12:

kevox wrote:Green/Gold lights are still legal right? Thinking of the ones on NFS: Underground

Good place to look for the legalities is definitely in that game. :D

Was there an offered stock option mirror for that car (or a like model) that is powered/etc? I say make some fone calls, look for that first...
kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:28 pm

John wrote:
Good place to look for the legalities is definitely in that game. :D

lol I know eh:D
I contacted via email a couple places on car-parts.com and am awaiting a reply. That seems like an online "junkyard" lol so maybe I'll get lucky and find something.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given

Return to “Automotive Performance”