Building a 302...

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
95Honda

Building a 302...

Postby 95Honda » Tue May 16, 2006 2:38 pm

My little brother is a college student going to Central Washington University. He has a pretty bad-*** Bronco that he has been building up with the money he makes during the summer time loading pallets of Soda on to trucks for Safeway. He has done a lot to it by himeself including a 10.25 sterling rear, lockers, 4:56 gears, new Tranny and T-case, 6" lift, nice tunes, bumper and winch.....

I'm pretty proud of him for all the work he's done, and hey, he's also my younger bro.... Well, anyway, he calls me last week and tells me he threw a rod in the motor and is going to part the truck out to try and make some money back because he doesn't have the money and know-how on rebuilding the motor... So I tell him hold up, I'll figure something out...

Well, this weekend, I borrow a buddies 20' box van and 24' trailer, driver 200 miles to his school, pick up the Bronco and drive it back. Now I got this big black SOB sitting in my driveway....

Here's my question, since I've already commited myself to this, I have to figure out the best way to go about it. It's coming outta my pocket to, so Imma be smart about it. I will pull the motor out this weekend and start tearing it down. Now do I-

1- Just pay for the machining of the block ($200) and heads ($250 assembled) and buy a rebuild kit ($?)

2- Have a short block built ($600 + 90 day warranty) and heads ($250 assembled) + rockers, pushrods, oil pump and gaskets.... ($?)

3- Have a long block built ($1170 with 7 year waranty).....

It is a 90' (Multipoint fuel and roller cam model) and I am going to have some relief and polish work done on the heads..... I have probably built 10 motors before from the ground up, so that isn't a problem.... I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra few hundred to get the 7 year warranty?

Also, does anyone know the best online source for master rebuild kits? I checked Summit already, but I know there are better, I have a PAW catalog, but it's 5 years old....

Any suggestions/inputs welcome....

-Mike
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
milenk0

Postby milenk0 » Tue May 16, 2006 8:16 pm

i would go to autozone with the bare block, and get one of their rebuilt motors w/ warranty, then (assuming all accesories and intake/exhaust are still good) bolt all those parts back on.
And Shepherds we shall be, for Thee my lord for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

DO NOT BUY FROM LOW-HZ OR PENNYPUSHERS OR SHOWRIDES.NET
k-mart

Postby k-mart » Wed May 17, 2006 4:13 pm

95Honda wrote: I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra few hundred to get the 7 year warranty?

Any suggestions/inputs welcome....

-Mike

Yes, I think it is.
zilch
DanWiggins

Postby DanWiggins » Wed May 17, 2006 9:30 pm

Get the block and heads ground. Then get a 331 stroker kit. He'll thank you for the extra torque...:)

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio®
What box do you want? SQ or SPL? Neither. You want SQL, which is an entirely different thing. You want the box to quad and give lots of Hertz...

[color="Cyan"]We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams[/color]
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Thu May 18, 2006 5:49 pm

Imho, it depends on what your brother plans on doing with the car after he gets done school. If he plans on doing major motorwork to it, or putting a bigger engine in, there's not much point in paying extra for a 7year warranty.

On the other hand, if the engine you put in is gonna stay in it till it dies, then I'd jump on the 7year warranty
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
ford302redneck

Postby ford302redneck » Fri May 19, 2006 2:18 am

D.S.S has great rebuild kits. www.dssracing.com Not the cheapest priced but one of the best quailty for Ford motors. But If I was you I would get a shortblock for that price.
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Mon May 22, 2006 11:03 am

I pulled the motor out yesterday and found out was what wrong. One of the rods was snapped clean in half, piston all seized up in the bore.....

So I ordered the long block this morning, it will be done next week. Heads will be ported and polished, and a few other things. I have headers for it, 2 chamber flowmasters, 3" exhaust (stuff was already on it). Throttle body spacer, high flow intank and a few other things. It should run pretty good. I think my brother will be better off with the warranty.....

95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Mon May 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Here is a pic of the motor coming out. I had to take off the fromt wheels and tires to get it low enough that the cherry-picker would clear the front.

I also have an extra MSD 6A I may throw on for him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Thu May 25, 2006 9:07 am

Sandblasted the headers, oil pan and valve covers. Painted the headers with VHT 2000 degree ceramic primer and grey topcoat. Painted the oil pan and valve covers with VHT 500 degree engine paint. He wanted red, wierd color for a Ford V8, but I used a ford red, I think it is a color of some of thier 6 cylinders. Looks good so far, motor should be ready this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

black300zx

Postby black300zx » Thu May 25, 2006 10:51 pm

looks good - can you be my big brother and build up my engine when it dies :p
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies

peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride

Return to “Automotive Performance”