I got to drive a Saturn Sky

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
rthompson

I got to drive a Saturn Sky

Postby rthompson » Tue May 16, 2006 10:30 pm

it handled like it was on rails, and despite being really cramped, i was able to run through the gears nicely without my knees hitting anything.

Honestly going in i was expecting to have to rev the hell out of it to not kill it off the line.... I was pretty suprised, i was expecting a gutless wonder and it really wasn't. I havn't looked at any numbers, but it felt maybe not quite as stron g as my Turbo Talon that i had. I would definatly recommend anyone to give one a test drive, but honestly i need more power and more room. I am a big guy and i am used to cars with real power, but the Redline might be something to try..... i guess it is supposed to have 260 HP compared to the moderate 177 in the one i drove, it should haul ***.

Oh as far as the handling.. i got to take it out on some curvy streets and some general city driving, but with the traffic i wasn't going to be annoying to my fellow motorists so i kept it sane, and it was pretty amazing handling, very light.... DANG it is hard to describe it, but it was really really FUN. When i was done driving i was literally shaking... i wanted to go more, and i wanted to take it to BIR and give it a spin on a road course and take it to a limit that just isn't legal on a city street... the balance is better than any car i have ever drove (i hope my friend lets me drive his 2003 Corvette this summer)

Couple notes, the interior was very nice, it looked really classy, but there were a few things that bugged the hell out of me... just the little things were irritating. The door locks were all but unreachable in such a cramped cockpit with a guy with broad shoulders like mine. The door handle i had to search for, it should have been 4 inches lower, and the power window levers were placed way too far back, it would have been just about as easy to use my right hand to reach across my body and use the window switch as to use the retarded thing with my left hand.... again i am a big guy and a smaller guy might not have this problem. The guages were small, but very easy to see and fit in very well with the theme of the interior. I am a touch over 6'1" and i was kind of annoyed with how low the headliner was, it was very low, couldn't see much of the sky, and there is no looking over your left shoulder to check the blind spots, the mirrors are the only way to see to the left. Overall there were more things that i liked about the interior layout than the complaints, but right now it is the gripes that are coming to mind... oh yeah they could have found a better place for the power point. The cupholders are nicely hidden, there are three of them but the one up in the console is best used when you are alone in the car... but who would want to risk spilling a drink in this beautiful car..... yes i said beautiful, and it is indeed a Saturn... did i just say that..... This thing is incredible, i thought i liked the looks from all of the mag pics, but seeing it in person it was a whole different ball game, i even looked at it in Motor Trend afterwards and wondered if it was the same car that i had been just drooling over.... seriously NONE of the pics i have seen have done it justice. I thought it was alright in the mags.... but that didn't prepare me for the real thing. The Solstice is a nice looking car, but the Sky is soooo much better!!
Duffman says a lot of things... oh yeah!!

"Don't think about greasy pork......" Jakezor
Derek

Postby Derek » Tue May 16, 2006 11:23 pm

your broad shoulders make you sexy.

i don't care what anyone says.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Wed May 17, 2006 1:39 am

Me and my brother have a deposit down on a Redline... Expecting to order around July, still expecting a Fall delivery..

They are much better served in person. The Solstice looks alot better in person too me, the Sky has always been awesome looking though :)

The Redline will indeed have 260hp, and 260tq.. the torque curve on the car is awesome.. makes 250 at 1500 and 260 the rest of the way.. no turbo lag :)
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu May 18, 2006 12:50 am

I agree with the solstice looking alot better in person. I wasn't a fan until I saw one. Dang sexy cars. With that being said, I still like the sky better.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu May 18, 2006 8:48 am

I saw a sky the other day. How much are they?
rthompson

Postby rthompson » Thu May 18, 2006 4:33 pm

$26,000
Duffman says a lot of things... oh yeah!!

"Don't think about greasy pork......" Jakezor
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Sun May 21, 2006 9:07 pm

They start at around 24 and the Redline is supposed to be offered for 2-3k over the base price with options.
Ezekiel81923

Postby Ezekiel81923 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 pm

sky is definitely pimp
Pioneer -- A/D/S -- AA Poly Mids -- Helix Dark Blue --
-- Orion HCCA -- Oz Matrix Elites -- Stinger -- Knukonceptz

Next In Line: a/d/s P4100
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon May 22, 2006 1:08 am

They are definately fun little cars they are good for what they are intended to do.. I am a big guy and could never drive one daily, but for a weekend warrior or a little track car, its perfect.

Return to “Automotive Performance”