a/c problems

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
black00

a/c problems

Postby black00 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 pm

so it don't get cold at idle....
max....level 4.......still not cold...
when you get moving for a bit it'll get cold
so i figure...its been 2 years since it took anything from a can of recharge...maybe it needs a bit more...( i know nothing about this stuff mind you )
I click on the gauge.....where you are supposed to click onto (next to the condenser)....and it instantly goes red on the meter to 150psi...when not engaged...and drops ALOT when it engages again.

This freaks me out........ and I can't find anywhere to tell me what PSI it should be....everybody tells me under the hood by the firewall...blah blah blah.....there ain't nothing there......
and I can't find a manual to save my soul.......
can anybody help?

S-10, ext cab, 2wd
4.3 auto (fully loaded)
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Wed May 31, 2006 2:13 am

Don't need a/c need bigger speakers
cctrol

Postby cctrol » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:24 pm

The 150 psi when not in operation is normal. that is the pressure of the refrigerant at that temperature. When the compressor starts, it begins to 'pump the refrigerant through the system. this creates a 'suction side' and a 'discharge side' to the compressor. the pressure drop is normal as the compressor begins to 'draw' the refrigerant from the line that you are monitoring. The fact that there is pressure there, says that there doesn't seem to be a major leak. The fact the compressor starts says that the low pressure cutout switch (safety) is functioning properly.
The problem you describe sounds like the electric condenser fan (found near radiator) isn't runnung. it could be a blown fuse, bad relay, bad motor, etc.
If it is running, the condenser may be dirty. wash thoroughlh with a garden hose through the front grille.

Good luck.
Hey, don't look at me like that, somebody was bound to say it eventually.:meh:
black00

Postby black00 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:31 pm

cctrol wrote:The 150 psi when not in operation is normal. that is the pressure of the refrigerant at that temperature. When the compressor starts, it begins to 'pump the refrigerant through the system. this creates a 'suction side' and a 'discharge side' to the compressor. the pressure drop is normal as the compressor begins to 'draw' the refrigerant from the line that you are monitoring. The fact that there is pressure there, says that there doesn't seem to be a major leak. The fact the compressor starts says that the low pressure cutout switch (safety) is functioning properly.
The problem you describe sounds like the electric condenser fan (found near radiator) isn't runnung. it could be a blown fuse, bad relay, bad motor, etc.
If it is running, the condenser may be dirty. wash thoroughlh with a garden hose through the front grille.

Good luck.

will do!

Thanks man
cctrol

Postby cctrol » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:59 pm

Any luck solving the problem?
Hey, don't look at me like that, somebody was bound to say it eventually.:meh:
black00

Postby black00 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:21 pm

Yes...
I took what you said
and 2 certified blah blah blah mechanics with all kinds of degrees and one certified NHRA blah blah blah..
Here is the part i left out.....
I have electric fans that kick on at 190degrees.

SO!!!!!!!!!!
Here is how it went...
In the beginning...i did my remote start...and came to truck......still hot...wtf
Recharge?...so i got can...no luck.....pressure confused me too...
One mech says...just let it empty...and see what happens.....you said the same thing somewhat...and to clean off the condenser.....so i did....
Truck on 15 minutes...can won't go no further.....air never gets cold.
TILL.....i start moving......
Then its fine.....so i couldn't figure it out.....=
I didn't know until my buddy that posts on here sometimes as TANK..said the condensor has to have air blowing over it for the air to be cooled.
I don't have a condensor fan......
I have electric fans.....
Fans never turn on when i'm recharging cause i got the friggin hood up......
:cwm21:
So...hell no it'll never start cooling itself...
SO BASICALLY.............
Because i didn't know crap about A/C and how it REALLY works......i've been chasing my tail for a few weeks....I thought.....compressor kicked on...no cold air......problem!
So between you...and a few others.......
I've realized WHY the damn thing hasn't been cooling at idle...... :cwm17: ........cause the fans ain't kicked on to make the last piece of the puzzle happen.

THERE..............i'm a tard........
I don't know much about A/C...and i'm a goober.......

BUT!!!!..
Thanks to you.....and a little help from my friends.......i got it figured out......and corrections to be made are easy......and i got the parts in hand to do it now ;) thanks my man....
black00

Postby black00 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:43 pm

I just got done putting the clutch fan back on.......
your boy put the fan on backwards on the clutch then installed the whole thing.....
so i had to take it all back off........(WHICH IS NOT EASY AT ALL) and reinstall it all......
I just wanna say...........DAMN CHEVY ENGINEERING AND THE IDIOT THAT DESIGNED A CLUTCH FAN THAT MOUNTS BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you..............that is all.
nismo

Postby nismo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:03 pm

Every fan controller I've looked at has an option that allows you to turn the fans on at a certain temperature OR when the A/C comes on. I know you already switched, but a controller like that would allow you what ya need ;)

Eric
black00

Postby black00 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:43 pm

[quote="nismo"]Every fan controller I've looked at has an option that allows you to turn the fans on at a certain temperature OR when the A/C comes on. I know you already switched, but a controller like that would allow you what ya need ]

Yes there was a 3rd prong..thats for manual overide or aux trip...
BUT...
I didn't want the constant abuse of my voltage.. ;) remember who you dealing with here...

Return to “Automotive Performance”