I think I killed my computer.

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Thoraudio

I think I killed my computer.

Postby Thoraudio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:07 am

OK, I confess... I really don't know alot about computers, but I got my DIY/Don't be afraid to break it attitude from my dad...

and I may have broke it.

OK, replacing a power supply in my computer. The fan on the old power supply was dead/dying, so I got a new one. This one.

It is a 20+4 pin ATX unit.

This is were I screwed up. My MB is a 20 pin, so I unattached the extra 4 pins. Well... that 4 pin connector is the same as the 12v 4 pin atx connector. I connected that one to the 12v in, instead of the right one (P9 I think?).

Plugged in and powered on the PS. The green led on the MB lights up. Hit the power switch, nothing happens. Not a blink anywhere.

Pull it apart, figure out what I did wrong, attach P9 as it should be. Plug in, green led lights up, power switch... nothing.

Break out the MM and check the power switch, and it's fine.

Guess maybe I got a bad PS, and hook the old one up (it worked, just had a bad fan). Same thing. Green MB led comes on, but absolutely no response with the power switch.

For the record, some other (stupid) things I did that may have hurt.

When I built this computer 2 years ago, I used some supplied plastic stand-offs to attach the board... they were ALL broken (the only thing holding the MB up was the video card :cwm16: . I bolted the MB down.

Re-attached my cpu fan.

Installed a PCI USB 2.0 card.

Any thoughts or ideas?

time to look for a new computer/mb?
whyfore is I here?
Big Mack

Sorry to say it...

Postby Big Mack » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:03 am

...but I think it's deadeded.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html

I found the info there to be very helpful.

ImageImage

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:02 pm

You can test the power supply for functionality by completely removing it from the case and unplugging everything, then unplug it from the wall. Then, on the large 20 or 24 pin connector, use a paperclip to jumper one of the black wires to the only green wire. Then plug the supply in, and turn it on with the switch in the back if it has one. Make sure, of course, that the supply is set to 120v and not 220v if it has that option or it will instantly die. The fan should spin up and this will verify that your supply is working.

Check the capacitors on your motherboard that are closest to the plug for the 24 or 20 pin atx connector, there should be a row of them next to some IC's or FETs. The capacitor tops should not be bulged or deformed in any way. Asus power sectors are notorious for doing this.

It is paramount to invest in a good, name brand power supply and to spend at least $50 on it. FSP group, SPI, Antec, and the almighty PC Power and Cooling are the best power supplies. I won't even use anything else. I bought a 750w Pc Power and Cooling silencer 750 EPS, and it is a solid unit that has not given me any problems whatsoever. They are so overbuilt.
Thoraudio

Postby Thoraudio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm 99%+ sure the power supply isn't the problem. My old PS is still functional (although the fan is spotty), and when I put it back in the system it still wouldn't turn on.

I'll check the caps, but I never saw any of the magic smoke leave...

BTW, looking for new mobo's is freaking addictive...

Oh... this one looks good, but for $20 more I can get a better one...

and I'll need a new CPU to go with it.... A celeron D will do me fine...

but a Core 2 duo is only $50 more...

but the mobo only has a PCI express slot... so my AGP video card is worthless...

only $100 for a new one.... but they're alot nicer for $150....

ARGHGHGHHHH!!!!
whyfore is I here?
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:47 pm

May have fried the board. Hanging from the video card didnt help it much either. It may be time to move on to bigger and better. :)
Sucks that you cant go down and buy a copy of XP anymore. Vista FTL.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Thoraudio wrote:BTW, looking for new mobo's is freaking addictive...

ARGHGHGHHHH!!!!

LOL, I couldn't agree more!! I love it when it's time to build a new PC, but at the same time, I hate it because I always find screaming deals and put it all together and then friends want one and the same deals aren't there, so it costs more. Such is life...

Big Mack
flakko

Postby flakko » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:37 pm

happened to me once. power switch didnt work. try flashing your bios. then it worked.
Thoraudio

Postby Thoraudio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm

flakko wrote:happened to me once. power switch didnt work. try flashing your bios. then it worked.

color me stupid... but how do you flash the bios when the thing won't start at all...
whyfore is I here?
Thoraudio

Postby Thoraudio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:36 pm

and the answer is.... number C.

The mobo needed stand-offs.... all is well.
whyfore is I here?
Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 pm

CBFryman wrote:May have fried the board. Hanging from the video card didnt help it much either. It may be time to move on to bigger and better. :)
Sucks that you cant go down and buy a copy of XP anymore. Vista FTL.

last time i was at newegg they had it.....
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”