BIIIIG computer cases

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
flak_monkey

BIIIIG computer cases

Postby flak_monkey » Thu May 17, 2007 2:21 am

I need a new case, I have an E-ATX motherboard. That's 12"x 13," and it's in the old Alienware, chieftec dragon, chenming 601, antec style case.

The hard drives fit in two cages to hold six drives, but the rails for the cages block the heat sink fan if either of the two is installed, and the HSF won't fit, so I had to go with a 1u Opteron cooler. I'm toying with the idea of selling the computer, but I need a new engine and swapping to a v8 is expensive. Not to mention the audio upgrades I'm doing...

So I'm left with getting a new case. I learned my lesson this year when my room got up to 90 degrees when the AC broke, and I had three HDD failures. I need better cooling. I've got two identical seagate 72.10 320gb's, one's in now and the other's for RAID 0 when school's over and I can reinstall the OS. Then I eventually want RAID0 with a backup. Maybe raid0 +1. Dunno yet. But I need a new case for that and liquid cooling.

Anybody use any Lian-Li cases? I've gotten to build one at work, but it was the PC1000. There's not a lot of reviews out there for the full towers. I would be looking at the Lian Li PC75-B. Any thoughts? I'm trying to get the noise down though, and having lots of 80mm fans in the current case isn't cutting it, and the Lian Li has a bunch of 80mm's. Any other suggestions?

Even if I do get a new PC altogether instead of just upgrading to one 8800gtx, watercooling all around, and two dual core opterons, I will still need a case that can take an EATX MB.

Oh, has to be aluminum and around $250. Window is a must.

What 'yall think?

I'd be interested to see what NDGeist says, because I know with two DC opterons, he's got to have a biggol' case too.
robberry

Postby robberry » Thu May 17, 2007 7:40 am

The Coolermaster stacker is a very nice large case. I have a dual pump watercooling system in mine, and there is still plenty of room for a second power supply and there are still six or seven open hard drive slots. Plus there is still plenty of room to work in there. I see that it's largely been replaced by the stacker evolution though. It sounds like it's pretty similar, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu May 17, 2007 9:17 am

I've actually only got the antec 900 case, it only supports ATX boards and i'm ok with that because i've got a late model Asus server board that's ATX (but only has 4 expansion slots, the second CPU pushes them out of the way)

Around the time i built my current box I was looking for cases like you are looking for now. I will tell you there aren't that many out there that are decent and/or are in your price range. One thing to know, as it might open a few doors for you, is that E-ATX isn't actually a standard, the ATX standard is 9.6x12 as you know, but the 12x12 boards are actually typically considered "SSI EEB" format. While this is irrelevant in the real world, you might find some cases that are SSI EEB ready (sidenote: SSI CEB is not the same, CEB is similar to ATX).

I've always been a fan of Antec, although i'm not sure they make anything that will support your board. lian-li makes a phenominal case, and i'd go with them if you can find one within your budget. the other that I was considering was the Coolermaster CM Stacker, it's *REALLY* big, and capable of a whole lot of expansion... I prefer the looks of the old stacker (the 810) myself, but I don't believe it has a window.

A buddy of mine has a Coolermaster that he bought when his Xeon board wouldn't fit in anything else, it fit great from what I remember. I just asked which one and got: "Don't recall the model... It was the only one that was all aluminum and EATX on NewEgg at the time..." so i'm not sure how much help this anecdote is.

-Chip
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:06 am

Lian-Li makes some damn nice (albeit expensive) cases. http://www.directron.com/ has a nice selection of cheap and hard to find cases. They'll prolly have something you'll like
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu May 17, 2007 9:19 pm

Well the new stacker (the black one, 830?) looks hella cool, with NINE 12cm fans.
OOOH! I'm going with that one, thanks!
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Fri May 18, 2007 9:51 am

flak_monkey wrote:Well the new stacker (the black one, 830?) looks hella cool, with NINE 12cm fans.
OOOH! I'm going with that one, thanks!

$230 for a CASE??? :cwm16:

I bought a nice black "scorpio" (no idea why they call it that) with a power supply for $60, and it had a $20 rebate. Came with 6 fans in it, and it's worked for 3 years on almost continuous duty. Has a window, too, with LED fan already included. I got mine at Fry's Electronics. I cannot imagine what would make a CM case soooo much better for $170 more. Oh, and mine has space for 4 HDD's, 2 floppies, and 4 opticals. I've been VERY happy with it. Just my $0.02.

[url=http://shop1.outpost.com/{yMXIWfJRnDHuP0fzZJzl9A**.node3}/product/3850927;jsessionid=yMXIWfJRnDHuP0fzZJzl9A**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG]This one here[/url]

I do realize that it's not big enough to fit your mobo, but there has to be a better option than a $230 one.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Fri May 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Sadly, there probably isn't... E-ATX cases are expensive due to low quantity demand. Anyone who does make one generally is one of the top tier case makers, so it's pretty expensive and has features not found in the cheaper cases.

I love my Antec nine hundred case.. the 220mm fan in the top does more than i expected, even on it's medium setting.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!

There are only 10 types of people in the world,

those who understand binary, and those who don't.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun May 20, 2007 4:30 am

Dude, when you pay $3k for a workstation (student loans and early graduation gifts FTW!) then having to pay $230 or so for a case is of little consequence. Especially when you are talking about that size of case. I believe that with all the number of large fans this case allows, I'll be able to forgo liquid cooling. I am still gun shy from the last time. Even with non-conductive coolant, still make a mess and cause downtime. I'll post pics when I get it. I'll be sad that there's no window, but I doubt that will last too long. Four 120mm fans on the side panel, all with washable filters, IS TEH SEXXORS!
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun May 20, 2007 4:32 am

Brief side note, this is the case that all of the dual Quad Core AMD setups are being demoed with at press releases. Look at the pics, there's that four by 120mm fan bracket with green fans in it.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”