Attention VISTA users: is it worth it?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:33 pm

how would I know? I don't use them anymore
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:35 pm

Bleh...Shut your corn hole.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:36 pm

I never mentioned anything about 25megs. I just said they hog memory, specifically norton.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:12 pm

I was saying that on my computer, right now, it is only using 25mb of ram...moron:cwm18:
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:26 pm

vfootballphs wrote:Where do y'all get that it isn't?

Years of IT work, much the same as Flak and ND.

vfootballphs wrote:Bad experiences?

Yes.

vfootballphs wrote:Maybe not keeping up with updates?

Or possibly Norton having some of the slowest and least up to date 'updates' out there.

vfootballphs wrote:No experience with the corporate version?

Experience across the spectrum, and I've found their products to be expensive, overrated, and resource draining. The load created by Norton products is far more than it should be. Loading that software shouldn't bog down a machine that has all the latest drivers and plenty of RAM (1GB), but it did routinely. Don't even get me started with how much it affected overall download speeds and performance. IMO, simply not worth the time or the $$. I much prefer the CA product line, as it is virtually transparent performance wise, and does a much better job.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Norton For the LOSE!

so, as far as antivirii go... but what WOULD you suggest? I've been using avast for a bit now.
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Hrm. Maybe the school system and I are just lucky? Seriously, I don't know what to say. It's what we've used and it works great for us so I haven't questioned it. I guess I can give a few of the others a try and see how I like them, though. Although, personal experience is tough to beat, whether it be good or bad.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:25 pm

vfootballphs wrote:I was saying that on my computer, right now, it is only using 25mb of ram

How much RAM do you have? If you have 512MB, that's 5% of your RAM. If you don't consider that somewhat of a resource hog for a program that's supposed to be running in the background, I'm not sure what you would refer to it as. Applications like that shouldn't be using that much. Especially when you consider the way it uses it. Norton's program stays almost at the top of the priority list, so everything else is a 2nd tier operation once it's installed. That, to me, is not good. It should be set for middle priority, as it's not supposed to be a nuisance to run.

And Member, avast works well. If you're looking for something that is a bit more in-depth, as I said, the CA works pretty well.

Big Mack
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:31 pm

I have a gig. AIM uses that much, explorer uses roughly that much, Opera WAYYY more. It hasn't negatively impacted my computer use any...well except when I am up doing something on here at 2:30 when I have the scan scheduled for. As far as priority goes, mine's showing normal. What's the average usage of some of the other popular clients with real time protection?
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:35 pm

vfootballphs wrote:Hrm. Maybe the school system and I are just lucky? Seriously, I don't know what to say. It's what we've used and it works great for us so I haven't questioned it. I guess I can give a few of the others a try and see how I like them, though. Although, personal experience is tough to beat, whether it be good or bad.

It's hard to have your professional opinion taken seriously when you only have experience with 1 product.

I know you feel like you've been doing this for a decade, and that's cute, but as you mentioned before, you're only 20, any "experience" you have now will pale in comparison to what you'll have at 25, and i'm sure that will pale to 30.

You have a lot of learning to do, and going into the world thinking/acting like you already know everything is going to limit your success, especially in the IT industry. You'll notice that very few people will open up and give up what they do and how long they've been doing it in this thread. I'm pretty certain that at least three of those people know a lot more than you and have been doing it for quite a bit longer.

-Chip
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”