Decent monitor?

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
Big Mack

Decent monitor?

Postby Big Mack » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 am

I thought this was interesting...

32" LCD HDTV with HDMI and PC input

Not the greatest brand, but I have friends who own one, and for $500, it seems like a good deal. Anyone have/use one?

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 pm

I wouldn't use it as a computer monitor since it is fairly low resolution (1366x768). But it might be a decent TV.

Now if you are fairly blind 1366x768 might be ok, but I like 1650x1080 or greater.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Well, I figured since I don't use my current monitors on the ultra high resolution settings, that part wouldn't really matter. I can't see the super small icons or text when it's running at that level :(

I guess I fall into the "fairly blind" category. I'm contemplating it mostly for the TV. I think 32" might be too much monitor.

Big Mack
prion

Postby prion » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:25 pm

I have a friend with the same spec lcd that you are looking at as his monitor and he is very happy with it. Of course he came from a 15"@1024x768 so that was an improvement in resolution for him. And he has a large desk so he can sit back several feet from it. Personally, I think that is the ideal PC monitor size, but resolution is more important to me so I got a 20"@1680x1050.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:29 pm

prion wrote:I have a friend with the same spec lcd that you are looking at as his monitor and he is very happy with it. Of course he came from a 15"@1024x768 so that was an improvement in resolution for him. And he has a large desk so he can sit back several feet from it. Personally, I think that is the ideal PC monitor size, but resolution is more important to me so I got a 20"@1680x1050.

Thanks for the input. How can you guys see the icons on the screen running at that size? I run my current 19's at like 800x600 because anything out of that ratio higher makes my icons super small, and the text even smaller. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't see paying for ultra high resolution that I cannot use. I was contemplating a 24" that does 1900x1200, but again, not sure if it's worth it unless I can actually see the results. My main TV is 1080P, and I definitely can see that, but it's also 60+ inches.

Big Mack
prion

Postby prion » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 pm

I sit at most 2 feet from the monitor, so I have no problem reading the text or seeing the icons. I also use cleartype for XP, which helps me with legibility a bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx

Also, if you use or plan to use Vista, the way they handle font and icon size vs resolution has improved, so you can run a high res and still have big text and whatnot.

I just want to fit more info on the screen at once, and like i said I'm practically sitting on the monitor (if you sit close it's just like a big screen :)) so that works for me. But if you can't do it comfortably then don't worry about it. My friend is proof that 720p can work long-term - worst case you can setup a small second monitor if you need more real-estate.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:10 pm

We use similar monitors at work for production, so they don't have to print drawings..

The resolution is poor, but if your eyesight is going ti might be a temporary fix.

Myself, I run SXGA (1280x1024) at home because this 6yo LCD only supports that high, and UXGA (1600X1200) on my CRT's at work. The text is small, but i was gifted with good eyes, so i can see/read everything.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Sawzall

Postby Sawzall » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:48 pm

The brand is fine - and the dirty secret of TV's is that probably only 4 big companys make all the panels and probably 3 or 4 companys build the chip sets - and then maybe 4 or 5 build houses in China/Korea/ROC and the like build them and slap someone's name on them. The heavy lifting design work is done by the chip builders - and then its "marketing".

(The exception to the rule are the Japanese companys like Sony and Mitsi - but thats a whole 'nother story).
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:31 am

Sawzall wrote:The brand is fine - and the dirty secret of TV's is that probably only 4 big companys make all the panels and probably 3 or 4 companys build the chip sets - and then maybe 4 or 5 build houses in China/Korea/ROC and the like build them and slap someone's name on them. The heavy lifting design work is done by the chip builders - and then its "marketing".

(The exception to the rule are the Japanese companys like Sony and Mitsi - but thats a whole 'nother story).

Yep, I've known this for years. There are 3 companies that make LCD's, but there are plenty of build houses. There are even build houses here (Syntax/Brillian). Sony, Mitsubishi, and the others aren't really exceptions, though. Matsu****a (Panasonic) is one of the biggest builders of LCD panels, and they're Japanese. I'm not buying the TV. I haven't got a "real" need for it right now, so best to hold off and let the prices continue to slide lower for the better quality products. :) Thanks for all the opinions, though, boys. Much appreciated.

Big Mack
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:38 pm

Acer makes a fantastic monitor. I love my AL2616w (1900x1200) 26" and it was only about $600-$700 (I paid cost so it's lower). Their 24" is nice too. And I can play HDTV signals over it.

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”