New pc build

General discussion about computers and their related items, and open requests/chat about our own gaming server.
s3sqguy

New pc build

Postby s3sqguy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Thinking of building a new tower this fall, cheap and upgradable with a reasonable video card maybe single SLI card to start. So, I wanted to go AMD but looks like a cheap C2D is much more upgradable on a board with faster memory. Also want lots of stuff on the board and prefer to have the raid that can run IDE. I need firewire also. Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations, its been a few years since I put them together and I have not had that much research time yet. I shopped up a few boards on newegg a while back I'll dig them up. My board is old but I tried to put a faster cpu in it and the socket is trashed, it is breaking off where the cooler hooks on. I'm not sure I want to mess with all the OC stuff or not like this one would.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm

Alright. Intel boards have a decent warranty. I've used other boards like MSI before with good results and I LOVE Tyan but they are very expensive and for workstations and servers mostly. I would look at what features you like the best. ASUS boards are overrated and fail a lot.

Corsair and OCZ makes solid ram, but others are out there that are good too. For video cards, the nvidia 8600 gt is a great card and BFG Tech offers lifetime warranties. I would get SATA drives. They are cheap. I got a seagate 7200.10 3gb p/s 320gb drive for $72 off newegg. I would do raid 0 for performance but understand the risk. Serial ATA raid1 is not slow like IDE raid as I understand it, so that's an option too.

The core 2 duo is still on top for now, and prices are falling. So it's a matter of preference really, and for the price, AMD is still a fantastic value. A good power supply is VERY important. PC Power and Cooling makes the best IMHO. Creative is a good standby for a nice soundcard but there are better ones. Putting the system on a battery backup is good, it will help with dips and spikes in ways that a surge protector will not. MAKE SURE you put the ethernet line on a surge protector. More surges come through the cable and phone than any other place. And they WILL get hit. One lightening storm and I had upwards of 75% of computers in the shop that came in that week turn out to be totally fragged. Cost of repair exceeded the value of the unit in most cases. All of them were hit through the ethernet port.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Also, you can take comfort in the fact that I'm not a hobbyist or a geeksquad employee, I work microsoft certified in a certified shop.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:26 am

^^ some good advice there.

I've been contemplating building a new HTPC, and this board is on sale right now.

ABIT is a good name, and that board has just about every feature on it possible. And that price is phenomenal, IMO. Under $80 after rebate is sweet. And, it's not old technology, it's brand new stuff, so it's totally upgradeable and not limited by fading stuff like AGP slot only or no SATA control.

Pair that up with a good processor, and you've got yourself a nice core system to build from.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 am

I don't know if you will be able to find many boards that support PATA raid. IDE is just going by the wayside.
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:54 pm

Thanks for the great info, here are a couple boards I was looking at last spring but might be new stuff out now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130082
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128321

I bought there before, but just using them for an example.

I had planned on just going barebones because I have to buy everything like cpu, memory, board, drive, GPU, OS....all at once instead of part of it. I have IDE/AGP. It seemed like one could pay more for a C2D and get the slowest cpu then go much faster on cpu/mem later than AMD could....though my AMDs have served me well all three of them.

Have a cable modem onto a firewall router, then to a hub and to most of the PCs. I have good surge strips on all of them...been there done that.

I have bought some older games I need to run on it, but no new ones I don't have time to play the good old ones only in winter. Think newest for example is Starwars battlefront II so I don't need to go hogwild ahead of that for video. Was thinking a cheaper SLI and I could add a second for good performance in a year or so?

Mostly I just need to access some older IDE, I toyed with the idea of the nvida raid where I could raid the older IDE but use mostly for storage. I have raid on this machine with 2 IDE and after a couple months it died and I was hot. It was striped and windows just didn't see it anymore, it would for a bit and then not work. Got most of my stuff off it, drives were new and good, put it back on there as mirrored and it has worked fine since so I don't get it. Its a promise on the board, an Iwill MB. It has worked good for the most part, bios died once and they sent a new chip. It will freak out if you turn it off and back on or on quick after the power to it is turned on...and not boot. It must need to stabilize. I have another power center on it I turn it off when not in use.

Not sure what OS to go with either, but need peer to peer here. I have to move stuff here in house so not sure, might just use for games and this one for the net. Just network it for loading patches and stuff and keep it offline. I don't do those games.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<

Return to “Computer / Gaming forum.”