Eclipse Head

General car audio discussion area.
jlaine

Eclipse Head

Postby jlaine » Wed Nov 10, 1999 7:21 pm

I am thinking of scrapping my SonyES 7850 head for the Eclipse 5506 head, but I cannot find a dealer who will do a demo and go any lower than MSRP. Has anyone seen and heard this unit? I am NOT happy with my Sony ES head, there are some design bugs that need to be worked out of it, and I was looking into a replacement. If anyone can tell me what they think of this head, and who I might be able to get in contact with to get one at a decent price I would appreciate it. Anyone who has gotten a chance to go around the block with this head, any pro's-con's?? How was the SQ? Rca outputs clean? Anything you have is greatly appreciated. Thanks
TBass

Postby TBass » Wed Nov 10, 1999 7:42 pm

That is a very great head unit, I heard alot of good things about it, the bad thing I heard was that it skips, but I just think that was cause someone put a very dirty CD in the player, but I do sell the Eclipse 5506, and have some in stock at my dealer, e-mail me at tbass@carstereos.org if you are interested.

Later
dhelmick

Postby dhelmick » Wed Nov 10, 1999 8:41 pm

I have a 5504 which is essentially the same unit except for a 5volt output on mine instead of 8 volts. Its a great unit. Very clean sound from the RCA's. There is no built in amp, which eliminates noise. Mine skips too, even on new CD's sometimes, and I have a CD cleaner too. You would think for a CD player like eclipse it should not skip, but maybe i'm hitting too much bass. Who knows. I paid $569 for my 5504 and I know the 5506 is like 800 retail. I run mine to an EQ and crossover anyhow, so you might not need that extra voltage if you have a high powered crossover. Either way the unit has a tilting front panel, really nice remote, disk naming, also it supports CD-text disks so it displays song titles. I know i'll keep this CD player for a long time.
SQ T

Postby SQ T » Wed Nov 10, 1999 9:45 pm

If you want to stick with Sony try the CDX-C910, Sony's top of the line(last year's) it's a great unit has lots of features, it was $899 2 years ago, the price should have dropped by now since they came out with the C-90, which is also great, but retails for $1199. I have the C-910 and never had a problem with it skipping and I went over some major pot holes, it's clean, no built-in amp. Just in case you wanted to stick with Sony Image

SQ T
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Thu Nov 11, 1999 12:35 am

Excellent, I will look into the Sony one first... Thank alot SQ T I kinda wanted some reassurance of Sony's line, after my dissapointment with their 7850 model...

Return to “Car Audio”