i've posted too many times tonite, but now i need help

General car audio discussion area.
Derek

i've posted too many times tonite, but now i need help

Postby Derek » Thu Nov 11, 1999 1:50 am

i got my mtx 4300x today, and hooked it up to my mb quarts 6.5 components. its been so long, i forgot how good they sounded, damn i'm excited. anyways i set the crossover at 80hz. you can hear so much outside of the car, i've got a saturn (plastic doors). i've used about 3 cans per door of sound damping spray, and i'm wondering if xtc baffles would help keep some the sound in the car. i know they keep soundwaves from subs from killing your coaxes in rear deck, etc. will they keep soundwaves in the car? and what else can i do cause i think i'm losing some sound here. thanks guys.

------------------
Time is something that may change me, but i can't change time, so F*C& IT!!
clay

Postby clay » Thu Nov 11, 1999 2:21 am

well here is an idea. If you dont want to add more sound deadining material then you can try something with the XTC baffles. They are also used to keep water off the speakers but you can try this. Buy the XTC baffles then cover the baffles with fiberglass and make small enclosures. The XTC's will act like a template in building the enclosure. Just a thought
see ya
clay
Tman701

Postby Tman701 » Thu Nov 11, 1999 4:53 am

Hey Clay, you just gave me a great idea! Since im building my sub enclosures out of fiberglass im gonna go ahead and build enclosures for my front and rear speakers. Now I only have to buy one XTC baffle for front and back instead of one for each speaker!

Later,
Tman
90 RX-7 GXL
clay

Postby clay » Thu Nov 11, 1999 7:33 am

no problem.!
see ya
clay
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Thu Nov 11, 1999 8:30 am

Saturn's have plastic doors?! You may be at a loss there, I am thinking that after the amount of spray you added that if the sound didn't dampen that you may be suffering from the door panel itself moving from the action of the woofer through the frame. If you are truly worried about the sound dissipating, I would go ahead with the baffles, and see if you can reinforce the area around your speaker while you are in there, remember, you are putting a hell of alot more power through the factory speaker hole than what the engineers designed it for, so in some cases a little creative engineering is needed to create a stable surround. Good luck and hope it helps!

[This message has been edited by jlaine (edited 11-11-1999).]
Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Nov 11, 1999 11:24 am

ok clay, i'm an idiot with fiberglass. where do i get it, how do i do it, etc, etc, etc.

thanks guys
clay

Postby clay » Thu Nov 11, 1999 5:07 pm

well I havent been to the states for a while but I think maybe the local hardware store might have it. If not, www.selectproducts.com does. Get the matt or use fleese. Hre are a couple places that show how to use fiberglass. http://www.concentric.net/~Rx7guy/fiber.HOWTO.shtml http://www.rtol.net/scornell/HowTo.htm
good luck. If you need anything else let me know
see ya
clay
Tman701

Postby Tman701 » Sat Nov 13, 1999 3:48 am

I dont know where you live but down here in Miami I get my fiberglass supplies from local Marine shops. They usually have everything imaginable for glassing. Hoep that helps.

Later,
Tman

Return to “Car Audio”