PLEASE HELP ON ECLIPSE SUB QUESTION!!!!

General car audio discussion area.
JASON

PLEASE HELP ON ECLIPSE SUB QUESTION!!!!

Postby JASON » Thu Nov 11, 1999 4:20 pm

I called eclipse on a box for my 3 8812's. They said 4 cubic feet ported. There is no way I can get it to be 4 cubic feet with 4" ports. I can only get it down to 6 cubic feet. I want a ported box for stricly spl!! I have three 4 inch aero ports. The widest I can go is 42 inches 19 high and depth has to be at least 19. Please help.
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Thu Nov 11, 1999 5:12 pm

Why does the box need to be 19" deep, your ports? If that is the case you should give a little and choose different ports or cut them short. There is little choice you have if you want to follow Eclipse's recommendations... Sorry, but you have to make a decision, or switch to a sealed box.
JASON

Postby JASON » Thu Nov 11, 1999 5:54 pm

I guess it does not have to be 19 because they said to do it 4 cubic feet it would make the ports 14.6 inches long with 4 inches or so from the back of the ports to the back of the box. I want to know the loudest box for these. I can cut the ports shorter if needed that was just how long they are now.
TBass

Postby TBass » Thu Nov 11, 1999 9:01 pm

If you are going for Strictly SPL, I understand, but I would put those subs in a sealed box, with 3 8812s with about 700-900 watts each, you should hit 150 db, I hit 145db legal with only two of them. These subs sound so clear and loud in a sealed box. Sealed boxes are cheap too, so it doesn't hurt to try it out first. Then go with ported if it doesn't meet your expectations.

T-Bass
Phloodpants

Postby Phloodpants » Thu Nov 11, 1999 11:26 pm

You can use 90 degree elbows to fit those ports in better. As a bonus, and elbow joint is acoustically 50% longer than a straight pipe, so if you measure the elbow through the middle, and it's 10 inches, it's 15" worth of port.
jayb

Postby jayb » Fri Nov 12, 1999 2:50 am

i think what tbass said is about right. 3 sealed with plenty of power would be outstanding, i think that would be crazy loud. but if you don't like it go ported. Image

------------------
Everyone likes a little ass, but no one likes a smart ass.
Reaper

Postby Reaper » Fri Nov 12, 1999 4:43 am

Come on, am I the only pioneer here besides Phloodpants? Image

Well, I personally only have about 900 total watts for my pair of 8812's so I'm venturing into the world of ported. Just do what Phlood said and use 90 degree elbow ports. You CAN make it fit. It might be tricky.

While I'm talking about tight fits, we took a box that was the same size as my ported one being built for my two 8812's and went to put it in the car to get an idea of clearance and it wouldn't fit sideways into my trunk. SO, we had to pull the seats down, slide it in lengthwise all the way into the cabin, straighten it, and slide it the right way into the trunk. BUT there is a lip on my back deck, so we had to unscrew my back deck, lift it up, slide the box all the way in, turn it, slide it into the trunk, and bolt down the rear deck. Downside, I better decide the first time exactly which way I want the ports firing. Upside, I'd love to buy popcorn and watch a thief try and get my box out (over 100lbs with subs in it). Image
audioinstaller

Postby audioinstaller » Sat Nov 13, 1999 12:32 am

Build a 2 cu/ft box(external) & put it inside your 6 cu/ft box & presto,your 6 cu/ft box is now 4 cu/ft...
BTW...I'm with TBass, those subs work so well in a sealed box...

Return to “Car Audio”