Hertz: HSK165 or Milli?

General car audio discussion area.
isamu

Hertz: HSK165 or Milli?

Postby isamu » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:24 am

Hi. I am going to get some Hertz speakers. My installer has recommended the High Energy HSK165, but I hear the Millis are better. I would like to know just how much better the Millis are over the High Energy HSK165? Is it a night and day difference? Also, how much MORE would I be looking at if I decided to go with the Millis? Does the better sound quality justify the extra cost?

My installer has quoted me a price of $700 for a set of six HSK165s(two tweets and four 6 1/2 mids). Is this is a good deal?
KU40

Postby KU40 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:04 am

are the Milli also known as MLK2's? I can't find anything on millis but I found a site with three component lines for Hertz- ESK, HSK, and MLK. The MLKs are 800 dollars more than the HSKs according to that site.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:39 am

isamu wrote:Hi. I am going to get some Hertz speakers. My installer has recommended the High Energy HSK165, but I hear the Millis are better. I would like to know just how much better the Millis are over the High Energy HSK165? Is it a night and day difference? Also, how much MORE would I be looking at if I decided to go with the Millis? Does the better sound quality justify the extra cost?

My installer has quoted me a price of $700 for a set of six HSK165s(two tweets and four 6 1/2 mids). Is this is a good deal?

Why doesn't your installer have them available for you to listen to if he's recommending something that costs significantly more? Your ears should be the final judge of what you're looking for. I'd be very leery about buying them without listening to them at all. If they're harsh...then what do you do?

Not having heard either, since the last set of Hertz I heard were the originals a few years ago, I cannot comment on whether or not they would be "worth it". When I heard them, the MLK's were better than the HE's.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
REVpuggie

Postby REVpuggie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:15 pm

I own the hsk165 , to stay in the budget and brand of the Hi-energy , go for the "hsk 165L" and add Hv70 mids to them , add the 3 way x-over to them or filter active , it will go deeper , cleaner , louder and more controlled
isamu

Postby isamu » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:55 am

REVpuggie wrote:I own the hsk165 , to stay in the budget and brand of the Hi-energy , go for the "hsk 165L" and add Hv70 mids to them , add the 3 way x-over to them or filter active , it will go deeper , cleaner , louder and more controlled

What exactly is an Hv70 and a 3-way X-over? Link?
REVpuggie

Postby REVpuggie » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:30 am

just go to www.hertzaudiovideo.com , look for hi-energy comp , the stuff you'd wanna look for in that series is the tweet HT25 the mid HV70 and kickbass HV165L (you could double on these) add a filter to it,found under accesories , the 3w.20 is a match ...
Sawzall

Postby Sawzall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:24 pm

I can't seem to find a dealer for these in the US at all - anybody have a link?
REVpuggie

Postby REVpuggie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:26 am

every dealer that has FOCAL speakers or AUDISON amps , should be able to supply HERTZ speakers , cant seem to find a dealer eighter , if you'd have to import it yourself, dont bother buying stuff like this it would be very cost inefficient ,

dont get me wrong, the mille series is a different approach to the focal utopia be series , absolutely no crap , but very expensive ( 1800 euros / 2500 USd for the MLK3) , the set I suggested would be around 600 USd without importing costs
Sawzall

Postby Sawzall » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:17 am

Importing is not a problem - my brother works for a French company with offices in France, Germany, Israel, Singapore and relationships with other folks all over the world... but the sad thing is that alot of stuff is more expensive at home than it is someplace else due to the taxes.

My problem is hearing the things in the first place. Its great that something gets a good review, but its my ears that have to be happy with the purchase.
Config

Postby Config » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:58 am

If you're still looking for a dealer in the states, and happen to be in Northern California (Roseville, just north of Sacramento), then you're in luck! Car Audio Innovations has a setup with a wide range of Hertz speakers on display:
http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/default.htm

I'm still waiting for my car to be done, but after listening to all the other component sets they had on display (JL Audio, Focal, Dynaudio, JBL, and more), the choice was very easy for me to go with the Hertz hsk163.3 sets. They sounded absolutely amazing, and it's totally true, their midbass is VERY clean and VERY powerful! The highs are incredibly smooth and full of life as well, and I only heard the 2-way system! I gave the Milles a listen as well, but in all honesty, the quality coming out of all the speakers comparied to the hsk's didn't seem work the $1000+ dollars more per set.

I'll definitely report back in a week or so when it's all finished.

-cfg

Return to “Car Audio”