Sound Damping

General car audio discussion area.
Sawzall

Sound Damping

Postby Sawzall » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Major prep step for the car - deaden out some of the noise. Lots of hype out there for a bunch of really overpriced products, so to cut thru the noise: What have you guys used - like it or hate it?

Anybody tried this: http://www.quietcoat.com/index.html ? I like the concept of spraying it over applying mats. Much better potential coverage and a lot less labor than rolling the mat down. And since I have an air compressor why not? Their air gun is actually pretty reasonable.
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:55 pm

I can't help with that but it reminds me of the first time I worked on a Porsche years back. There was a small dent I fixed near the rocker. I ground on it to pull it out. Man they had this gravel guard stuff on there that was tough as nails just to grind off this little spot and pretty thick. I get to looking and the entire underside of the car is soaked in this stuff, it sure looked factory. Later I drove it and yeah, it was quiet inside. Even then the car was older and I could not find a hint of rust any where, domestic cars were a lot cheaper but tin cans compared to how that was made.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:07 pm

s3sqguy wrote:I get to looking and the entire underside of the car is soaked in this stuff, it sure looked factory.

It is factory. I have a friend who repairs Porsches, and we were talking about how they put it on to protect from rock chips and then simply paint it like it's regular body panels. Apparently the stuff they use is easily primed/painted and ends up looking the same colorwise. Obviously the texture is there, but the one he had on the lift was probably 20 years old and looked great still.

As for the QuietCar stuff, it seems kinda pricey if you need 2 gallons to do a "basic" job (according to them), and that doesn't include the trunk. I've used the fake dynamat from Parts Express with great effect. You can get one of the bigger mats for about $12-13, and it adds mass quite easily. Sure, not as easily as spraying it, but how much are you going to spend on the spray and how valuable is your time?

You might ask X-over what he used. He just did his Excretion for deadener.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:22 am

I've used raammat once and liked it. it's gotten more expensive since then though.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:15 am

Cascade VBX-1 from parts express, sprayed 5 gallons into my dads F150, night and day difference.....
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:14 am

95Honda wrote:Cascade VBX-1 from parts express, sprayed 5 gallons into my dads F150, night and day difference.....

x2. I have used that on multiple cars/trucks.
Sawzall

Postby Sawzall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 pm

Big Mack wrote:As for the QuietCar stuff, it seems kinda pricey if you need 2 gallons to do a "basic" job (according to them), and that doesn't include the trunk. I've used the fake dynamat from Parts Express with great effect. You can get one of the bigger mats for about $12-13, and it adds mass quite easily. Sure, not as easily as spraying it, but how much are you going to spend on the spray and how valuable is your time?
Big Mack

I did some math - thankfully nothing harder than long division - on the cost per square foot on this stuff, Parts Express and Dynamat products.

The mat products:
$2.16 for the cheap Parts Express mat
$3.60 for Dynamat from Amazon reseller
$5.12 for Cascade VB-2HD from Part Express

Now the sprays:

$1.73 for Cascade VB-1X (but I have doubts about their covereage estimates.
$2.40 for the QuiteCar
$3.70 for DynaSpray from Amazon reseller.

Seems to me if the spray stuff works as well as the mat then from a cost stand point its a winner, regardless of the brand you chose in the end. Of course, how does it work compared to the mat is the $64,000 question - well, actually about a $300 question.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:17 pm

I have used both spray and mat types. I will use spray as much as I can. Ease of install is worth it's weight in gold.
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Me being cheap these days because of having a million other more important issues to deal with...and since I don't care that much about dampening right now...I just got some peel and stick from Menards. It was real cheap. Anyway, my point is you might be able to use that type of thing in some areas to cut costs...like use that p&s on flat floor areas then spray the wheel wells, things like that unless you are going to pull your carpet at a show. I got the little rolls and sealed off the rear deck and around my baffle with it, then did some of the trunk. Did under the rear seats and will do the doors when I get them apart again. Mostly just angled and flat areas anyway so should not have an issue should it come loose...but the stuff is really sticky. I do not want to add a pile of weight to my car either, it affects mpg and handling and that is important or I would go back to driving other vehicles full time that serve my needs better. Some areas I listened or pounded on it and just did the noisy spots. Heck I got a loud stereo in this car so I could not hear the road noise....:)...when the windows are down, but obviously to listen to music loud or quietly. But then again I don't care that much about looks just don't want to see anything but the HU and only care about how it sounds. I hide everything I can.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
F3M4

Postby F3M4 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:24 am

I know I'm a little late here, but for future reference this stuff: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=55

Absolutely owns.

They also have a heavy duty version.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=0&products_id=572

Return to “Car Audio”