X-over

General car audio discussion area.
Shooter61

X-over

Postby Shooter61 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:14 am

Alright so 3 years does a lot to a persons knowlege, as well as the the poorly configured equipment he was running. So I made a big boo boo and put my x-overs in my doors and now the terminals are all rusted, the driver cuts in and out, and I just really need to reconfigure, and replace my x-overs.

First of all what should I purchase. I know nothing about x-overs except sort of what they do. The drivers and tweeters are 5.25" CDTs from their HD line. Do I need to purchase more than their low end model? http://www.cdtaudio.com/crossovers_08.htm The EX-450? Will I hear a difference will a higher end X-over? Or is this just a waist of time?

Second, where should I mount the new X-overs. I'm driving a 98' Grand prix. Where do you guys have yours? Please keep in mind that I would not like to put it anywhere that would involve re-running speaker wire through my car.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryan
Show before go, can't lose your license for being too loud

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
CDT HD 5.25 Braxial *Front*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:50 am

Crossovers in passive systems are usually made specifically for that model line. So it's not necessarily that the low end model will be worse, it might just be that the crossover won't be the best fit for the speakers. You might email CDT asking them the difference between the two crossovers. They may have tried to get away with using the same crossover or at least a lot of the same parts to cut down on costs.

You'll have to run another length of wire through your door jam no matter what because you'll be placing your crossovers inside, but you can minimize the length by putting them right by the door. Right now I have mine under the seats. But if the crossovers are small you could probably fit them up under the dash.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:55 am

KU40 wrote:Crossovers in passive systems are usually made specifically for that model line. So it's not necessarily that the low end model will be worse, it might just be that the crossover won't be the best fit for the speakers. You might email CDT asking them the difference between the two crossovers. They may have tried to get away with using the same crossover or at least a lot of the same parts to cut down on costs.

You'll have to run another length of wire through your door jam no matter what because you'll be placing your crossovers inside, but you can minimize the length by putting them right by the door. Right now I have mine under the seats. But if the crossovers are small you could probably fit them up under the dash.

That's good to know about the crossovers! Thanks for the help I'll have to e-mail CDT here and find out.

I appreciate it,

Ryan

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
nismo

Postby nismo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:17 pm

One thing you can do is put your xover inside the door, between the interior panel and the inner door skin. If you do that, just make sure that the wire goes UP into the terminals, and any moisture will drip away from the crossover. If you still have the factory plastic to use, put it in there and cut only a hole big enough for the wire to go through.

Eric
Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:39 pm

put them inside a baggy...in the door...seal with lots of duct tape.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:39 pm

Derek wrote:put them inside a baggy...in the door...seal with lots of duct tape.

Haha that must be a Cedar Falls quick fix because that is EXACTLY what I did. But I do need to replace them, and I don't want it TOOO cobbled together when I get the new X-overs.

Thank you all for the input, I will have to look into all of these options when I get the new cross-overs.

Thanks,

Ryan

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:34 pm

WOW what a conincidence, I just got on Ebay dinking around and seeing what would come up and I found a close out on the Sat net 400 Xovers from Woofers etc. for 20 bucks! These are the entry level crossovers but to my understanding the big difference from the 400 up to the reccomended "hd" X-overs is that they introduce the imaging tweeter output.

Any other input on this?

Thanks,

Ryan

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Shooter61 wrote:Haha that must be a Cedar Falls quick fix because that is EXACTLY what I did. But I do need to replace them, and I don't want it TOOO cobbled together when I get the new X-overs.

Thank you all for the input, I will have to look into all of these options when I get the new cross-overs.

Thanks,

Ryan

damn right it is...first set of passives i put in a door, rusted all to **** :)
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:44 pm

So I got the X-overs today and installed them. As far as I can hear there is no difference in the SQ of the higher end X-Overs to the lower end. BTW I only got the passenger side in, but on my 98' GP I mounted it on the front wheel well, and put a screw right into the sound deadening. Works like a charm and is nice and close to the point where my door is, and the source wire.

Later,

Ryan

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:45 pm

BTW Derek, the baggy did not seal in the least bit, in fact I think there was standing water in the bag. Perhaps more duct tape?

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's

Return to “Car Audio”