I think I'm screwed

General car audio discussion area.
Vh3i55u

I think I'm screwed

Postby Vh3i55u » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:04 pm

So I ordered the amp kit today and found out they didn't have the one I wanted anymore, they offered to give me another amp kit that was worth 10 dollars more for no extra cost. It turns out that the amp kit they're sending me has a 150 amp fuse... Will this fuse screw up my whole system? What are my options?

Thanks!
[font='Times New Roman']If at first you don't succeed then sky-diving isn't for you[/font]
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:13 pm

The fuse on the power wire is there to protect the wire, therefore, if the wire that the fuse is on can handle 150 amperes then that's fine. The equipment that your running should have it's own fusing to protect the individual components, and as long as the total sum of current draw for the components isn't more than the 150 ampere fuse on the wire, then you're good to go.

Nigel
'03 S-dime ext. Cab.
Dropped 3" all around
Shadow billet grill
De-Trimmed/De-Badged
18" Beyern Type Five's in Hyper Silver
Nexen N3000 245/45ZR18 rubber
Eurolite clear tails
clear corners
Truxedo Truxsport Tonneau Cover

Alpine CDA-7998 source unit
Clarion SRS 1686 6.5" comp set up front
OZ Audio ME 12.4 in a 2 cube ported box at 34 Hz
JBL GTO 601.1 II Sub amp
JBL GTO 75.2 II comp. amp
12 sq. ft. Dynamat Extreme on roof
kevox

Postby kevox » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:14 pm

If the fuse is bigger than your amp(s) combined fuses then no it won't do you much good; your amps will be long gone by the time that fuse every blows...this is why it's important to match fuses correctly (anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that I am...). Don't worry though; all you need to do is buy an extra fuse of the correct rating to support your amp(s) and put it in the fuse holder instead of the 150A that it came with!
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
Vh3i55u

Postby Vh3i55u » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:24 pm

So it would be best for me to buy, say, an 80 amp fuse?
[font='Times New Roman']If at first you don't succeed then sky-diving isn't for you[/font]
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Nigel wrote:The fuse on the power wire is there to protect the wire, therefore, if the wire that the fuse is on can handle 150 amperes then that's fine. The equipment that your running should have it's own fusing to protect the individual components, and as long as the total sum of current draw for the components isn't more than the 150 ampere fuse on the wire, then you're good to go.

Nigel

Nobody cares about the wire; the fuse is to stop the battery from exploding if there is a dead short.

That said, the 150 amp fuse will still provide protection.

The fuses on the amplifier itself are there to protect the amp, and should be matched exactly as the manufacturer specs them.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Atomic Fusion wrote:Nobody cares about the wire; the fuse is to stop the battery from exploding if there is a dead short.

Actually you do care about the wire. If you were to short out your power wire the wire would instantly melt increase to a temperature of around 1000 degrees (if my memory serves me right) and could start your car on fire. So yes you are also worried about the power wire.
Show before go, can't lose your license for being too loud

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
CDT HD 5.25 Braxial *Front*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
Vh3i55u

Postby Vh3i55u » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:55 pm

is that supposed to mean that I can't use a 150 amp fuse?
96s10lover

Postby 96s10lover » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:59 pm

ok here it is. Everyone cares about the wire. Everyone cares about everything. If you total fuse value of your amps is 80, to avoid any problem that usually will not come about, go spend 3 bucks on an 80amp fuse. Problem solved. Yes, if you short your wire it can melt and be dangerous, but the 150 amp fuse would stop that anyways
96s10lover©

CBFryman wrote:BHAPAMFID

Bass Heads Agianst Punk Ass Mudder Foking Immature Dumbasses

Staying Loud While Staying Condsiderate

:D
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Shooter61 wrote:Actually you do care about the wire. If you were to short out your power wire the wire would instantly melt increase to a temperature of around 1000 degrees (if my memory serves me right) and could start your car on fire. So yes you are also worried about the power wire.

Did you read that on the back of a cracker jack box? Instantaneous super-heating, combined with a rip in space-time? :)

The battery is the primary concern, not the wire... Most heavy duty wire used in car audio applications can handle the surge current from the battery without heating to extreme temperatures... Certainly enough to burn you, perhaps enough to melt carpet and plastic, but not enough to cause massive ignition... The battery on the other hand, will get much, much worse than that, and is up front where there is fuel flowing around.

So yes, we're all concerned about everything, but the fuse is there primarily to protect the battery.

Adam
Found something better.

SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
--m--

Postby --m-- » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Vh3i55u wrote:is that supposed to mean that I can't use a 150 amp fuse?

You can use the 150A fuse. Switch it to a lower value if it helps you sleep better at night ;).
Once you've hit rock bottom there's only one way to go....sideways

Return to “Car Audio”