removing air bubbles from vinyl...

General car audio discussion area.
kevox

removing air bubbles from vinyl...

Postby kevox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Ok here is a port I've poured my heart & soul into to make look good for the latest box I've had the honor of undertaking...
Beautiful? I think so....

And about 24hours later here's what happened...sorry for the poor pics - flash made it impossible to see anything but non-flash made it too dark...
I can still push these air bubbles back down but they pop right back up after a few seconds. My question is how can I treat and hopefully fix this???? I'm guessing that if I heat it it'll only get worse but I've never dealt with this before so I really don't know...

This is EXTREMELY frustrating as it looked dang near perfect after a good 4 hours of putting the vinyl on - I was so proud of myself:) but now this is gonna ruin everything...

Any of you guys know how to minimize or eliminate the air bubbles? This is the vinyl veneer Parts Express sells....stick-on stuff.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Looks like your box has a case of herpes there....

Anyway, if there's no adhesive on the bottoms of the bubbles to stick them down, you're about out of luck. I highly doubt heating will help, although for lack of options I'd try a blow dryer on the bubbles. You might be able to inject a bit of glue into each bubble with a needle, but that will leave holes.

What exactly is the final finish on that curve? Is it wood filler? Obviously, there is some kind of reaction going on there... My suggestion would be to cut out the bubbles with a knife, fill them with some kind of filler - ideally something other than what you used the first time around - sand it flat, and then put a second layer of vinyl over the whole thing.

I had bubbling issues with that stuff as well... It's not fantastic, but obviously there is something going on just in that specific area.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
kevox

Postby kevox » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:58 am

There actually isn't a single thing under there besides MDF! Near the very top and bottom of the bend there was a slight resin deposit but I sanded those down perfectly and I used 220-grit on the whole panel (after using 150-grit) so theres definitely nothing to react with in the bend...

Oh and you said you had bubbling issues with this as well.....did you find a way to cure those bubbles or how exactly did you take care of them?
I'm not sure what I'll do at this point....
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:32 am

that's going to be inside the box, right? Why get so worked up over something you'll never see? Granted I'd want it to look the best, too, but I think realism about the situation should calm the nerves. I'd just poke them.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:26 pm

kevox wrote:There actually isn't a single thing under there besides MDF! Near the very top and bottom of the bend there was a slight resin deposit but I sanded those down perfectly and I used 220-grit on the whole panel (after using 150-grit) so theres definitely nothing to react with in the bend...

Oh and you said you had bubbling issues with this as well.....did you find a way to cure those bubbles or how exactly did you take care of them?
I'm not sure what I'll do at this point....

Did you make sure the surface of the wood was very clean? A primer may have helped... The bubbles may be dust deposits or loose surface debris that has stuck to the backer glue.

I never found a good cure for the bubbles other than just rubbing them back down. However, you might want to try using 3M aresol spray glue on the surface of the wood to stick the material down. It's extremely sticky glue... You spray it on, and let it dry a bit until it becomes very tacky. This may help with adhesion.

Adam
Found something better.

SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:48 pm

Super 77 FTW!
kevox

Postby kevox » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 pm

KU40 wrote:that's going to be inside the box, right? Why get so worked up over something you'll never see? Granted I'd want it to look the best, too, but I think realism about the situation should calm the nerves. I'd just poke them.

No this is how it will look - very visible...
fbi90909

Postby fbi90909 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:21 pm

ouch. nothign i can add to what's been said about helping your situatiion. though i've never really dealt with vynil. but! soo where did you get that vynil? i'm makin a kerfed box and i want to 2 tone it's color. i want the baffle/port to be like red or brown with wood grain while the rest of the box be black or metallic gray.
kevox

Postby kevox » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 pm

fbi90909 wrote:ouch. nothign i can add to what's been said about helping your situatiion. though i've never really dealt with vynil. but! soo where did you get that vynil? i'm makin a kerfed box and i want to 2 tone it's color. i want the baffle/port to be like red or brown with wood grain while the rest of the box be black or metallic gray.

I think you'll find the mix you're looking for here...
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=135

And if you want real vinyl that is thick and requires glue then they offer a few choices as well...
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=833

I have one yard of this stuff (in black) and although I haven't used it yet I'm definitely under the impression that it is MUCH better to work with - granted it does not give you that sick wood grain finish :(
KU40

Postby KU40 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 am

oh, interesting. well then I may say like Adam said and get rid of the holes by any means necessary then add another vinyl layer. Or else just scrape this one off and start anew. Did the same thing happen to the other side's piece?
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300

Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded

SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)

Return to “Car Audio”