Speaker suggestions

General car audio discussion area.
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Avoid RadioShack at all costs. What size speakers are you working with?
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Oh and would you want component speakers or coaxials?
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:31 pm

todd.brust wrote:Avoid RadioShack at all costs. What size speakers are you working with?

I agree. Tokyo Shack = garbahg. And since it's a Ford built after 1998, chances are they're 5x7/6x8 Todd ;)

I'll second Craigslist or Fleabay. Millionbuy as well. Bought some stuff there, and had good luck.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Oh forgot about the Ford. Thanks Mack. I need someone to point out all my mistakes again! :)

If the fronts are in fact 5x7s, I saw a set of JL XR5x7s coaxials for a shade under 200 plus shipping on ebay. The same thing I have in the Towncar. Great sounding speakers if you ask me. Otherwise maybe custom mount some 5.25"s or 6.5s components would work good also.

brianhalv

Postby brianhalv » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:02 pm

I don't actually have the car yet, I'm getting it this weekend so I don't know what size speakers. I don't know what the difference betten components and coaxials is. Would you only put new speakers in the front and not the back? I'm basically going to take any advice you give me because your better at this **** than I am haha.
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:58 pm

I would go fleabay shopping. Should be able to pick up a 4ch for 50-80 with good power. Find some good quality speakers for the front of your choice. Coax is woofer/tweeter in one, quality ones sound pretty good...IMO good enough if you are poor. Ford is usually 6x8 and 5x7 will fit. I have 5x7 comps and in back coax. I'm going to see if 6x9 fit in back with a ring for more midbass fill, but mostly I use those when outside the car. Comps are separate woofer and tweeter with a crossover box. I mounted my tweeter to the door panel in front of the woofer, on a bracket angled up toward me. They usually sound the best, but it depends on the brand and what you like, even the install to a point. The fronts will dictate the quality of sound in the car, so spend what you can there.

I would not worry about the rears right now, see if you can mount a sub IB into the deck or rear of seat (I have 4 12s in the seat and empty trunk). One 12 even or two 10s would help and use the rear of 4ch to run it. If you get one around 75-100x4 it should, of a good brand with all the crossovers in it. I tested a sub on a a4004 audiobahn, not the greatest but it bumped in the house nice. Idea is to get going and swap to cooler stuff as you go. Also have seen 5ch go for under 100 they are simple answer but can't do as much when you expand the system. Some have class d sub section that will take less power. Otherwise run a 4ch and later mount a sub and get a smaller class D around 400wrms that will run most things. Less power is good so you don't have to mod the car much, just buy a 4ga kit and you are good. I got one for $20 on auction. I bought speakers on there too, but often you can't find what you want unless you can wait.

If you shop you can put together a whole system for little unless you are brand sensitive. I bought a cheaper retail chain brand 2ch 500wrms amp new in box for <$40, an unopened return. It would run subs just fine for a while or run high side. It is kind of big though, even has a fan. Point is it will work until you get better. It can be harder to shop if you are not familiar with all the amp brands. I mean if you are strapped for cash you can buy lightning audio strike 1kw and kenwood 900rms class D amps for 100 all the time. They work, the strikes don't like vibration but the guts are not bad in them. That is pretty cheap power without going to a no name amp.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
brianhalv

Postby brianhalv » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:03 am

How nescessary is an amp for this?
brianhalv

Postby brianhalv » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:28 am

This is the seller that is selling the JL speakers you mentioned:
http://stores.ebay.com/Autosounds4less-Public-Warehouse_Speakers_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ8551265QQftidZ2QQtZkm

... Anything else that catches your eye? It looks like there are some good deals.
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:14 am

The necessity of the amp depends on your budget. A decent set of coaxial speakers will sound good off of head unit power, however a decent set of speakers will shine with better amplification and power.

X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:33 am

Infinity Kappa's that wont break the bank.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2934

A cute lil amp

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3729

There is $300 there. Then you need to buy wires (power, rca, ground and remote)

Should all be doable with a little left over. The speakers are 5.25's, you might be able to get away with something bigger, like 6.5's. If so, sweet.

For 6.5's. You can go with RE for a little more.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4927

RE is known to put out good stuff.

For wires, look at http://www.Knukonceptz.com. Good prices and good wire.

Not a CDT fan, but for the money.....hell....hard to go wrong.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5207

Return to “Car Audio”