MX 12 Problem

General car audio discussion area.
plushDJ

MX 12 Problem

Postby plushDJ » Wed May 07, 2008 7:09 am

Hey all, woot for 1st post!!

So I just got a MX12, fully knowing there was a problem with it. I was playing with it and there is something rattling, from what it sounds like, in the vc former. There is also a scratching sound when you push the cone down (from what I'm guessing it's the thing rattling around) but not when you push up. Does anybody know what this could be? Could I do a partial (maybe just new cone+surround) recone and dig out whatever's rattling in the process??
Oh and fyi the coil looks to be new with no discoloration so it def doesn't look like it's from abuse.
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed May 07, 2008 11:13 am

I had the exact same problem with my brahma. When I pushed down it made a noise but not up. The triple joint was starting to fail (where the cone, spider and former come together). I did some repairs myself and it still works to this day. I am not sure what the suspension and everything looks like but pull the sub and look at where the suspension meets the former and see if the glue is failing.

If the MX has multiple spiders(I would not be surprised to find out it does), it could very well be one under the top one. If it is under warranty, I would get RE to replace it for you, otherwise just get some cheap epoxy and fix it up!
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
plushDJ

Postby plushDJ » Wed May 07, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks for the help man. So what you're saying is cut the sub open at the triple joint and look for the spiders starting to separate?
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed May 07, 2008 10:07 pm

You should be able to see the triple joint through the basket. Don't cut anything.

Check the triple joint and see if there is any separations. If there is, try and repair it.
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

emperorjj1

Postby emperorjj1 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:15 am

ya don't cut anything. And the MX is a woofer that must be sent out to RE to be reconed. You cant just get a recone kit
plushDJ

Postby plushDJ » Thu May 08, 2008 6:52 am

Cool, I gotcha guys. Sucks that I can't just recone it myself. Shipping back and forth from Canada is gonna be a ***** if it's wrecked. Thanks for the help!!
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Thu May 08, 2008 1:35 pm

If it is simply a glue failure at the triple joint, and it is only a small section, It can be repaired by yourself, unless you don't feel comfortable DIY, then send it in.

plushDJ

Postby plushDJ » Thu May 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Thats kinda why I bought it was because I wanted a cheap project and try my hands at a recone but if emperorjj1 says MX's have to be done by RE...I'm pretty screwed:cwm11: . Ah well, let's hope it's a spider.
emperorjj1

Postby emperorjj1 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:25 am

oh ya and if you want it done by re they are currently moving from vegas to cali so its going to take a few weeks to get up and running again...

Return to “Car Audio”