Just talked to a sales rep....

General car audio discussion area.
kevox

Just talked to a sales rep....

Postby kevox » Tue May 20, 2008 5:20 pm

They're always worth a good laugh it seems...went to a car show at the Tacoma Dome up here in WA last weekend and some car audio shop had a booth setup with "overstock" inventory that they were clearing out for "really cheap". Anyways my dad asked one of the sales reps there about Nav units in general - they sold Kenwood and Alpine navs..... this is what the guy said.....

Nav units.....I have the perfect nav unit right here *pulls out average-looking Kenwood unit and brags about it* then my dad asks about other brands too, specifically Pioneer (which they didn't sell). Then the sales rep is like "Pioneer makes a good head unit, no question, but there is one reason and one reason alone that I don't carry Pioneer - their nav units CANNOT do nav and play music at the same time. Also Pioneer and Panasonic both make good decks but in order to do that they have a price-point to maintain and this is where they fall off on the sound quality side of things - Pioneer decks sound terrible compared to a lot of the others!"

First of all I very much doubt that Pioneer decks are incapable of showing Nav and listening to music at the same time but I'm not sure on that - any of you guys know if thats true or not?
Secondly, to say that Pioneer falls off on SQ whereas Kenwood stands tall is ubsurd....he's obviously just tryin' to make a sale - man I hate salesmen!!!

And on another note we looked at the fiberglass box in this Prelude at the car show and the owner/builder - who looked about 13 - came over and asked us if we liked the box and then said that he built it himself. We could tell the subs did not ave nearly enough air space to make them perform half-decent but the setup was clean with no visible scratches through the paint so we asked him how much air space each sub had - thinking MAYBE this kid knew what he was doing and had a good reason for building such a small box, here is what he said.

Us - "How much air space does each sub have?"

Him - "It has about 13dB's."

Us - "No I mean how much volume?"

Him - "Oh I don't know. It's pretty small though."

lol
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue May 20, 2008 5:58 pm

kevox wrote:......

Us - "How much air space does each sub have?"

Him - "It has about 13dB's."

Us - "No I mean how much volume?"

Him - "Oh I don't know. It's pretty small though."

lol

Are you sure he didn't say 13 deeeeebeeeezzz!!!
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Tue May 20, 2008 7:12 pm

pioneers avic-d3 double din is likely what the sales guy was referring to. With that unit, you need to insert the nav disc, load your route, then you can take out the nav disc and play music, however if you start to deviate from the loaded course then you will have to re-insert the nav disc so that it can recalculate a new route, as the unit only uses a small amout of flash memory to memorize the nav routes and so cannot perform the operations internally.

This being versus alpines w-205 double din, that doesn't come with internal nav, you need to buy the blackbird portable nav unit and put it in the "docking" station in the w-205 and then the w-205 uses it for the nav functions.

The pioneer unit is $899.95 locally (canada) whereas the w-205 is $908.99 plus $559.99 for the blackbird.

nigel
'03 S-dime ext. Cab.
Dropped 3" all around
Shadow billet grill
De-Trimmed/De-Badged
18" Beyern Type Five's in Hyper Silver
Nexen N3000 245/45ZR18 rubber
Eurolite clear tails
clear corners
Truxedo Truxsport Tonneau Cover

Alpine CDA-7998 source unit
Clarion SRS 1686 6.5" comp set up front
OZ Audio ME 12.4 in a 2 cube ported box at 34 Hz
JBL GTO 601.1 II Sub amp
JBL GTO 75.2 II comp. amp
12 sq. ft. Dynamat Extreme on roof
kevox

Postby kevox » Tue May 20, 2008 7:58 pm

X-OvrDistortion wrote:Are you sure he didn't say 13 deeeeebeeeezzz!!!

rotfl
This being versus alpines w-205 double din, that doesn't come with internal nav, you need to buy the blackbird portable nav unit and put it in the "docking" station in the w-205 and then the w-205 uses it for the nav functions.

The pioneer unit is $899.95 locally (canada) whereas the w-205 is $908.99 plus $559.99 for the blackbird

That puts aonther aspect on things now doesn't it :cool: Sounds more like the Pioneer I know and love...
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Tue May 20, 2008 8:27 pm

How do these people end up at a show. Maybe it was 13dB less than a proper enclosure at 35Hz.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
kevox

Postby kevox » Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 pm

s3sqguy wrote:How do these people end up at a show. Maybe it was 13dB less than a proper enclosure at 35Hz.

LOL his Prelude was really nice too - sparkling clean engine bay with tons of aftermarket parts. Makes me wonder how the heck it was his cause there is no way he was any older than 15....
KU40

Postby KU40 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:09 pm

Kenwood stuff is up and down. Their lower line sounds like horse patooey. I had one and switched it out for a middle of the road alpine and the difference was night and day. But the old kenwood excelon I used a few years ago was excellent.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)

Return to “Car Audio”