audiophiles! much needed judgement requested inside! (project car stereo system)

General car audio discussion area.

audiophiles! much needed judgement requested inside! (project car stereo system)

Postby 1549 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Hello! i am pleased to say this is my first post, and that I have registered here to get some injected knowledgeof the new car stereo world!

I have not been involved with car stereos in over seven years, before that I had a pretty good understanding and feel of what was out there and I still understand the basic concepts but lack the advanced knowledge of imaging and tuning.

I have a project camaro that I have been working on for the past eight months, and I am now at the point where the planned stereo system has come into play. I have listed below the basic setup of the car and how I plan to outfit it, flame suit is on and ready for suggestions!

'98 camaro

locations of speakers:

Q-forms kick panels are needed in the front, no room for components otherwise

6 1/2" round openings to the sides of the back seat

4 1/2" round openings in the back sail panel underneath the hatch

tentative plans:

alpine 9885 cd deck

5 1/4" infinity kappa perfect components up front, run me around $250.00 for a good deal. had basic kappa components in an old system, highs and mids were amazing with almost no mid bass. i know i gotta compensate the speakers some for midbass and bass.
100 watts rms rating, at 2 ohms resistance

6 1/2" woofers, thinking of bazooka brand woofers, I didnt want anything with mids and highs because I *think* it would pull the sound imaging toward the rear seats and I want the best sound up front. 75 watts rms rating at 4 ohms. these run me around 120 bucks a set.

4 1/2" coaxial speakers in the hatch, i thought id be able to use the smaller speaker/tweeter setup with a 4 1/2" coaxial to provide some fill sound. looking at infinity reference setup back there, 80 bucks or so for the set and 60 watts rms rating

amplifiers:

300x4 JL audio amp, pushing 75 watts to the front and 75 to the woofers in the back seat.

alpine deck powering the 4 1/2" speakers in the back, 25 watts rms.

in the future, or if this system doesnt provide enough bass, ill add a JL audio 10w3 in a custom sealed enclosure with another JL audio monoblock amp pushing about 500 watts to the sub with a 1.2 farad tsunami capacitor.

one area I am unsure of is the amplifier wiring kit, and speaker wires, I think it would be best to spend some cash for nice rca cords and good speaker wire. dont know what has a good reputation out there but the ones I was looking at gave me about 120 bucks for the rca patch cord set in a 16 foot length and two bucks a foot for twisted speaker wire in 14 guage.

let me know what you guys think!

Postby 1549 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:21 pm

this was a double-posted thread, not sure why it did that. maybe I screwed up. anyhow this is the duplicate, disreguard it or mods, delete!

Return to “Car Audio”