Which pieces to build my system?

General car audio discussion area.
redderthanafeut

Which pieces to build my system?

Postby redderthanafeut » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm

So, I have a lot laying around from old systems that I'm going to be putting into a new (different) car. I'm going to start from the front of the car and list what's going where, and which components I'm undecided on.

HU: Pioneer DEH P3100 - oldie but goody. Does what I need and has RCA outputs.
DQ: Cadence 4 band 1/2 din. Don't remember the model but I've used it and like it. It's got front, rear, and sub outputs. Sub control as well.
Front Speakers: Probably Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs. I've seen some good reviews and they're right in my price range of $100. Any alternative suggestions?
AMP: Undecided. Have two to choose from (already own them). JBL BP1200.1 and/or US Acoustics USX4065. Specs here
Sub: Undecided. I have two 12" Shiva's and a 12" Brahma. I've decided to save on weight and space by going IB with whichever setup I go with.

So, all that being said, my main quandry is the amp/sub setup. I could potentially use just the USX4065, run the front speakers off channels 1&2, and the sub off of 3&4. Specs say Bridged MONO@4ohms provides 160Wx2. Is it save to hook seperate channels up to seperate voice coils?

Everything is going in my Impreza RS, which might someday become upgraded. The IB setup will be mounted so the sub is firing into the back seat. I know it's not ideal but the rear deck is not big enough and I really don't want a box in there.

Thanks ya'll.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When in doubt, buy more speakers
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:49 am

If you want to go IB, definetly use the pair of Shivas... Brahma won't be as good there vs. the 2 Shivas, IMO.

You could still build a light weight box for the Brahma... But that is also a fairly heavy sub... Almost weighs as much as th epair of Shivas, IIRC.
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
redderthanafeut

Postby redderthanafeut » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 am

Yeah I think the brahma might actually weigh more than the pair, certainly seems like it.

If I were to go with two Shivas, how much power should I send them? The US Acoustics would only provide 160w to each @12.9v, but I could use the JBL amp to send them quite a bit more.

I have all the white papers and whatnot for Shivas but it doesn't talk about power handling for IB setups.

A really small brahma box might be a possibility. If I were to mount it inverted, how much space does there need to be from the face of the sub to the opposite side of the box? Basically, how narrow could I make the box?
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:27 am

With IB your power handling goes out the the door. The 160 watts you are talking about is probably more than enough power.

I would say the Brahma sealed would work well too, but I would put a little more power on it...500 watts minimum. That is just my two cents. You would probably save more space keeping the sub within a box. Maybe 1 cu ft.

I love the car by the way! I've always wanted a two door RS.
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
redderthanafeut

Postby redderthanafeut » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 am

The problem with doing the Brahma sealed is I would need to use both amps, whereas the IB setup I could probably get away with just the one. You think having a box would use less space?

The car is great, I've only had it about 2 months but it's been by far the best and funnest car I've had.
redderthanafeut

Sealing the installation

Postby redderthanafeut » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:47 pm

What would you recommend for sealing all of the spaces between front and back waves in the IB setup? I'd prefer to avoid using Great Stuff or something that will permanently adhere to the car...

Return to “Car Audio”