Page 1 of 2

Got a Grand - Need Some Clear Crisp Interior Speakers

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:07 pm
by Cuddles
My friend is getting about a 1000 bucks to put towards some interior speakers. He says he doesnt need a sub, but Im thinking a small 10 or 12 to pick up the lows that his interiors will be missing. Ive been out of the scene for awhile and am unsure of the new 'boners' for speakers are.

It's going in a 03 Civic LX sedan. Crutchfield says 4 6.5" speakers. Easy, enough. I was thinking some speakers powered by an external amp. Shoot me some ideas to get that clear crisp sound with that budget. Thanks!

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:49 am
by kevox
Thats a heck of a nice budget!! I won't comment on any specific speakers as I haven't heard too many higher end ones BUT I will remind you not to forget about the amp! That plays almost as important of a role as the selection of speakers IMO...
If it were me, Id go with a Zapco Reference series amp (360.4) as I had a set of Zapco's a year ago and LOVED them but then I traded em off for a XXX 18" and Pioneer in-dash dvd player and threw my old MTX Thunder amps back in - only to notice a huge degradation in SQ....man I loved the sound of the Zapco 350.2 when it ran my front components!

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 pm
by TalNLnky
hmmm... RE XXX 6.5's and a decent "bang for buck" amp. ???

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:11 pm
by todd.brust
I say do some nice 8s in the doors, and match some tweeters up with them and run active. :) No need for a sub anymore.

just a though.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:50 am
by Cuddles
TalNLnky wrote:hmmm... RE XXX 6.5's and a decent "bang for buck" amp. ???


I know RE made some good stuff back in the day. They are still on top of the underground game? Where can I buy these? Ebay does not have the componets.

todd.brust wrote:I say do some nice 8s in the doors, and match some tweeters up with them and run active. :) No need for a sub anymore.

just a though.


That sounds like an awesome idea! Id have to make some custom mounts though...interesting. :cwm12:

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:50 pm
by m3dia_lab
focal?? they have some nice comps. some sound good even without sub(s)

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:21 am
by TalNLnky
Cuddles wrote:I know RE made some good stuff back in the day. They are still on top of the underground game? Where can I buy these? Ebay does not have the componets.



That sounds like an awesome idea! Id have to make some custom mounts though...interesting. :cwm12:


ikesound.com sells them... they sell everything RE now.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:03 pm
by nismo
Looking at the prices, RE is no longer the underground brand it was. The MT's used to be 400-600 bux, now they're more than double that. I am disappointed in what's happened to the company, though I don't blame Scott for doing it.

Eric

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:23 pm
by kevox
nismo wrote:Looking at the prices, RE is no longer the underground brand it was. The MT's used to be 400-600 bux, now they're more than double that. I am disappointed in what's happened to the company, though I don't blame Scott for doing it.

Eric


No Ikesound has always charged rediculously high prices for anything RE since the day they got it...isn't it like $1600 for a XXX15 or something stupid like that? Go on ebay and you can get almost the entire line for cheap.....RE 8's are $60 shipped, SE12's are $165 shipped, SX 12's are around $250, etc....

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:31 pm
by nismo
Yeah, but before you could get ebay prices FROM RE and have a warranty and all that jazz.

Eric