new truck...need help

General car audio discussion area.
chevy454

new truck...need help

Postby chevy454 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:35 am

hey guys im new here and im in the process of getting a Denali XL and i want to get some serious pound put in it. i been reading around on here for a couple days and i been hearing alot of talk about the BTL's and the HDC3's both sounds very tempting but i was thinking about getting six 15" hdc's or four 18" btls....and the amp that i was looking at were two AQ3500's because they look like a **** load of power for the price. im not looking to pay no more than $3000-$3500 max on subs and amps and i want it to sound like good hard hittin quality bass so what would be my best option...

OH and this just for daily beating..well mainly weekend
kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:09 am

i was thinking about getting six 15" hdc's or four 18" btls

OH and this just for daily beating..well mainly weekend

I like your style! lol I've heard only awesome things about the BTL's and HDC's and you really can't go wrong with eachbut you gotta make sure you have enough box volume for that large of a setup....are you planning on removing the very back seat or are you just going to wall it off and eliminate rear-view vision??

If it were me, I'd do the 4 18's hands-down cause 18's are so friggin' cool and LOW compared to the "generic" 15" version now a days...bear in mind that's just my opinion lol.

BTW You're looking at about 24 cu/ft NET (probably 28 cu/ft gross at least...)for either setup so keep that in mind as you answer my question about whether or not you have enough space...

Furthermore, (wow there's a word I haven't used in a long time! lol) does your budget allow EXTRA for wiring and electrical upgrades or does anything electrical-related need to be included in the $3000-3500 portion? Cause for that kinda power you're gonna need an HO alt, new battery, and of course 0 gauge all around (possibly even 2 runs of 0 gauge...) and depending on just how many watts you want to push out of those amps (I have no idea what they're rated at) you may be interested in getting someone to fabricate a dual-alternator mount so you can have two HO alts....

Now if you just want to blast it for an hour or something while parked then the HO alts aren't gonna do you much good and you're going to want several batteries in the back...like 4 as a good start...

The electrical system is a very expensive sidenote in car audio that many average people don't realize...
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
chevy454

Postby chevy454 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 pm

yea im aware of the upgrades i will need and im not planning on getting everything at once...second of all do the btl's need more than 2500+ watts for it to really pound? i saw quite a bit of btl vs hdc3 threads but i been hearing mixed opinions on both i heard that the aq's didnt have the thump like the btls but they sound a lot better
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:53 pm

I am drunk, does thic count for anythings?
kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:41 pm

chevy454 wrote:yea im aware of the upgrades i will need and im not planning on getting everything at once...second of all do the btl's need more than 2500+ watts for it to really pound? i saw quite a bit of btl vs hdc3 threads but i been hearing mixed opinions on both i heard that the aq's didnt have the thump like the btls but they sound a lot better

That much I cannot comment on as I have not personally used them...
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 am

chevy454 wrote:second of all do the btl's need more than 2500+ watts for it to really pound?

No. Power handling vs. output is box-dependant. Their RMS is 2000, right? I wouldn't know why they would need more than their recommended RMS to get to full capability.

If you build a tiny 1 cube enclosure for a 15" BTL, yeah it'll probably need 5000 watts to reach full potential. But conversely, if you build a huge 15 cube enclosure, you may only need 1000 watts or less to get to full potential.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
chevy454

Postby chevy454 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:59 pm

i asked that because every time i ask about them people always sayin give them 2000+ watts
nismo

Postby nismo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:55 pm

chevy454 wrote:i asked that because every time i ask about them people always sayin give them 2000+ watts

Not everybody knows what they're doing ;) I just hooked up 4 TangBand 8" subs in a ported box to a Pyramid amp (it came with my brothers car and he's too broke to replace it right now), and it got going pretty good--not quite what your projected system will do, but I digress. I put my meter on it, and was only drawing about 60 watts RMS at the most! It doesn't take 9 billion watts to get loud. I am a firm believer that your box design/build is 90% of your music...and you're going to be better off with a great box and okay equipment than a not-so-good box and the world's best equipment. Eric
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Nizzy, you nailed it.
kevox

Postby kevox » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 am

nismo wrote:Not everybody knows what they're doing ;) I just hooked up 4 TangBand 8" subs in a ported box to a Pyramid amp (it came with my brothers car and he's too broke to replace it right now), and it got going pretty good--not quite what your projected system will do, but I digress. I put my meter on it, and was only drawing about 60 watts RMS at the most! It doesn't take 9 billion watts to get loud. I am a firm believer that your box design/build is 90% of your music...and you're going to be better off with a great box and okay equipment than a not-so-good box and the world's best equipment. Eric

Amen to that!! I just finished a 1.1 cube net enclosure for a single 8" (well I'm still sanding and painting the outside but it is usable now...will be posting pics when I finally get it painted) and it was almost as loud as my dad's two Assassin 10's when we swapped em out just to hear this box! Now to the Assassin's defense their box is only 2.4 net (or something close to that) with two 3" aeroports but still...same amp, same car, same everything, output very similar - made me happy to have gone through the time and effort of building that tiny box:D

Return to “Car Audio”