Let me tell you about my last day of class...

Off topic, uncensored, and mostly unmoderated.
flak_monkey

Let me tell you about my last day of class...

Postby flak_monkey » Thu May 31, 2007 12:35 pm

Every conceivable issue that one could encounter with a computer, every possible thing that could have gone wrong in the last 14 hours has come to pass.

I realized that my animation file was not only corrupted, but that my backup was deleted when I synched my Z: drive to my portable. I work at school off of my portable and the backup was replaced with the corrupted version. This meant that I had to use data recovery software. Scratch that, I had to PIRATE data recovery software. Much different. Takes more time. Data recovery software scans every little bitty byte on a hard drive in order to find files that have been deleted, because the drive no longer contains the file name in the File Allocation Table. Great, I found my backup, but it took two precious hours. I get my backup and am ready to output it to a video file. Guess what? No dice. Something's wrong with the backup file and it won't render properly. I am resourceful and I used an instant method of getting at least some sort of video file. It's not as polished as the real rendering (which can take hours to days), it's generally just for previewing your work.

So I output that to a file. Okay, time to make a dvd. Nuh uh! Guess what? Optical drive failure (three year old IDE Lite-On). Dvd won't burn. Last blank dvd now a coaster. Thirty minutes left till this thing is due.

In that thirty minutes, I attempt to output the file to an ISO that can be burned onto a disk by another computer at school. No sir, the school PC's don't work that way because the IT guy is an imcompetant imbecile who neglected to put any DVD authoring program or burning software on any PC in the entire school. All drag and drop from windows. No burner support in Linux or Unix.

This means that with 15 minutes left, I must use a Mac. Editing video, despite what that kid from the commercials says, on a mac is like having a red hot glass rod forcibly inserted into the tip of your penis. I don't care what you macfags think. Mac is incompatible with everything, and program with an "i" in front of it is subject to iminent and complete failure at any time. This is especially true of files coming from PC's to mac. No iDVD, final cut, and DVDstudio pro ALLfail to burn my file to a useable disk. Our Prof. is a prick and it has to play on a real DVD player. The assignment is for us to deliver a monolouge from a movie to a character that we have animated listening to us.

Class rolls around. He's going to give me a zero. I am sweating bullets because with all the hard work I put into this project, a zero is unacceptable. This may very well be my finest animation, and all because of a fucking bad DVD drive and a Mac, I will recieve a zero and the work will have been for naught.

Class lets out early, myself and another student, with the best two animations in the class, have not presented. If I can manage to get this goddamned motherfucking computer to work, I can turn it in before 1:30. It was 11:30 when class let out. Two hours and no clues as to how to work this. With no less than four students attempting to decode the Rosa Stone on this fucking mac, we finally manage to get a working dvd after making 13 coasters. Last DVD on my spindle. $15 bucks in the fucking toilet.

I run back to my professor's office, we go to the room downstairs where the dvd players and projectors are, and it plays. I run through my monologue, delivering what my Prof. called a "perfect" performance, and I am about ready to throw up because I got a B+. He took ten points off, meaning that I would have gotten an A+ on my acting. This puts me at a B+ in the class.

Afterwards, I am sobbing, breathing heavy, sweating profusely, and on the verge of vomiting. I have to walk the mile or two back to the dorms because the shuttle is on break and the highschool dropout ignorant ass rent-a-pig security guards won't drive me back before 2:00 am. I get back to my dorm, steal a vault from my roomate's stash in the fridge, fire up my computer, throw my dvd drive out of the fucking window, and begin blasting "Surfacing" by slipknot as fucking loud as I possibly can. We are talking 120 db or so. My ears are ringing, I am screaming at the top of my lungs, "FUCK YOU ALL FUCK THIS WORLD FUCK EVERYTHING THAT YOU STAND FOR"

I go throw up, and play "Wait and Bleed"

I am done with a full load of 3 studio classes (no liberal arts courses). That's insane for someone with my study skills. I managed two B+'s and an A. The best grades under this load that I have ever earned.

My heart is pounding, my ears are ringing, and I've never felt better than I do right now
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:15 pm

procrastination's a bitch eh?

hehe
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu May 31, 2007 1:36 pm

Procrastination is like masturbation...

It's real fun, until you realize you're just fucking yourself.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm

Except I didn't leave it till the last minute. I had so much other crap to do that I didn't have any time left. That's why it sucks so bad.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:37 pm

awww
Derek

Postby Derek » Thu May 31, 2007 4:38 pm

i'm about to take the stinkiest poop alive.

but...i'm gonna hold it in and make it wait a little longer.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
PointSource

Postby PointSource » Thu May 31, 2007 6:10 pm

Derek wrote:i'm about to take the stinkiest poop alive.

but...i'm gonna hold it in and make it wait a little longer.

you remind me of the final section of bruce springsteen's "the river"....you know, with the humming and the harmonica?

have you ever heard the song, derek? does it make you think about things in your life that could have been better?

will some woman in this desert land, make me feel like a real man?
He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.

-DS
Derek

Postby Derek » Thu May 31, 2007 6:15 pm

me and bruce dont' hang out that much....the only album i have is "the rising"...

he makes me wish i had never drank the stank that was labatt blue though.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
PointSource

Postby PointSource » Thu May 31, 2007 6:18 pm

i understand. i know you spend nights listening to 'purple rain' by prince. so do i, friend. so do i.
He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.

-DS
Derek

Postby Derek » Thu May 31, 2007 6:21 pm

the little faggot with the earring and the makeup?

that little faggot is a millionaire.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And for all eternity
You will cry my name

Return to “Off Topic : The Hell Hole”