Getting LOTS for new camera. What to get?

Off topic, uncensored, and mostly unmoderated.
flak_monkey

Getting LOTS for new camera. What to get?

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Last night, my place got broken into. They only took my camera, not my computer or any of my favorite stuff. By the way they passed up my medicine- as any druggie worth their salt would have ran off with anything that had the word "amphetamine" in it- they were looking for other stuff. Guessing by how they only looked through the top of closets and in sock drawers, I think they were looking for a gun. My camera was in a bag, so they took it. That and my dad's rings that grandpa gave him.

I had a canon A-1 SLR system, worth about 2.5 to 3k dollars when it was made in 86, and worth almost as much now, a DAMN good camera. Long story short, insurance will be giving me money for a camera just as nice, but digital. Film is what kept me from really taking photographs like I would have wanted, because developing yourself is very difficult without a darkroom.

So, I need a camera that will allow me full auto, full manual, and everything in between. I want enough left over to buy an extra lens or two, and a nice tripod and perhaps a flash. I was thinking that I want something with a very high resolution, maybe 8-10 mega pixels. I am considering the nikon d80. Any other photography guys out there have any advice?

Chris
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Film kept you from taking the pictures you wanted?? Get more practice.... Digital is like a straight jacket; you don't need your own dark room for great film pictures.

Buy a vintage Hasselblad.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:22 pm

Atomic Fusion wrote:Film kept you from taking the pictures you wanted?? Get more practice.... Digital is like a straight jacket; you don't need your own dark room for great film pictures.

Adam

No, not having access to a darkroom kept me from taking black and whites and developing them myself. Not just developing them straight, but alternative processes too. I could use a nice digital more than I can use a film camera. The most I used the camera for after high school was to take photographs of textures and document art work for slides. But now that they are not making slide projectors for too much longer, I'd rather invest in a digital. It makes sense for what I want to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always have my assortment of land cameras and I'll always be enamored with exciting photons, but I don't need to replace the whole A1 system. Especially considering I bought my g/f the same a1 and she told me I could use it.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Nikon D80 would be my choice, that and a couple good lenses.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
rthompson

Postby rthompson » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:42 am

Atomic Fusion wrote:Film kept you from taking the pictures you wanted?? Get more practice.... Digital is like a straight jacket; you don't need your own dark room for great film pictures.

Adam

LOL straight jacket, that is funny. there is nothing that you can do with film that you can't with digital.

<-- husband of a professional photographer.

The Rebel XTi with a bunch of lenses is great(wife has one).

D80 and D200 from Nikon are awesome (brother got a D80 and they really like it)
Any of them will take just as good of pictures as a 35 mm, but it might be worth it to go with the Cannon 5D or Fuji S5 Pro if you want to step up to that next level.
Duffman says a lot of things... oh yeah!!

"Don't think about greasy pork......" Jakezor
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:33 am

Nikon makes some good stuff for a decent prices. For 3k you could get a good 10.2 mp camera and a good 70 to 35mm lense or something.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:01 pm

CBFryman wrote:Nikon makes some good stuff for a decent prices. For 3k you could get a good 10.2 mp camera and a good 70 to 35mm lense or something.

Minus the deductible, I'll have enough for a d80 kit that sells on eBay that comes with a 4gb card and a few Nikon lenses. The general consensus both here and elsewhere through photography friends is that the nikon will make me very happy.
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:30 pm

I've played with a D-80 and absolutley loved it. Awsome camera.

Rock on for another Canon A-1 user... :)
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:28 am

My advice is to go try them all out and see which one feels the best to you. The prosumer dslr's are all so close in performance and features that it doesn't really matter much what you get. None of the lens systems are bad, although some have more gems than others(canon, nikon, olympus, pentax). I went with an Olympus because it was the second best feeling camera that I had worked with(first was Nikon d200, but way too much $$$). I don't regret it one bit. The kit optics are much better than other average kit optics, too.

Adam,
Digital a straight jacket? Please...Options are endless with digital. I'm interested in your response as to why you have said that.

-Cole
itzvic

Postby itzvic » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 pm

Well how much money do you really have?

What type of lens setups are you looking at?

Are you shooting sports or other types of stuff?

If you really have like 3gs.... pick up a Canon 5D kitted up with a 24-105 L series IS USM. Thats a badassssss kit. Hook it up with the new 580 mkII flash and have some fun.

If you are looking for more lens options right off the bat, save some $$ and go with a cheaper body?

The D80 kits with a real nice lens as well... 18-135 is the only kit to buy. That or buy it body only and pair it up with the 18-200vr. That would be a really nice kit to cover all the bases. The new 70-300vr lens is a great lens as well. IF you have the extra grand get the 12-24...

I like the D200, but to waste the money for a 5fps and some different custom modes is hard to imagine for me. The alloy body doesn't really impress me either.

CF cards are cheap, as are cases and all the other mumbo jumbo.... don't let that sway you.

NICE lenses are actually expensive, so watch what is in the EBAY kits.

Return to “Off Topic : The Hell Hole”