let's talk some more

Off topic, uncensored, and mostly unmoderated.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:12 pm

Member02 wrote:funny, this is begining to look just like a section of the beast.

yes, which I was trying to steer clear of with some sort of direction prodding. didn't want to steal posts from the beast. but what can you do.

So I suppose everybody has heard of the Utah mine debacle, and that the governor is not sending in any more rescue workers because of the three that were killed. What do you think? I think if the rescuers are voluntary, let them go. three is still less than the six that will die if no action is taken soon. they drilled a couple holes down there, which I think used video cameras to look around. Did they also send down a speaker which could emit sound for the miners to hear and be attracted to? Sounds like a good idea to me. then they could drop down food and water while they figured out a way to get them out.

I want to find a new planet and go explore and live on it. that would be awesome.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
Member02

Postby Member02 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:15 pm

food isnt the problem, air is, they are prolly dead of aphixiation by now
Kyle Richardson

Postby Kyle Richardson » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Being in Utah, thats been the lead story for the past couple weeks. I think that if they continue to send guys in then it will lead to more deaths because the mountain continues to move daily. Its a death trap and more lives dont need to be lost looking that way. They have drilled 5 holes now and havent heard or seen anything yet so the chances that the original 6 are still alive is very slim especially since the last several air samples from the test holes showed very low levels of oxygen.

They announced yesterday that they will drill one more hole and if it doesnt produce any positive results then they will seal up the mine. The family of the trapped miners didnt want to hear that news and are upset at the owner but I'm not sure if there is really anything else they can do without endangering more lives.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Sad story, but when a mountain is shifting as much as 3 feet a day.......nothing good can come of that.

I feel sad for the families involved.

Kyle, I was in your neck of the woods the other week......could not find a fucking hotel room anywhere. Drove from Minneapolis with the intentions of stopping in Rawlins, WY. No rooms there, so we drove....and drove....and drove....eventually ended up in SLC.....no rooms there either. So we drove....Provo!!....no rooms there......so we drove some more and ended up close to mile marker 140 on the 15. We slept on the side of the road. Next time, can I come and stay with you....I dont bite......hard!
Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:04 pm

i can vouch for the biting....it's only hard on the nipples.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
KU40

Postby KU40 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:43 pm

Kyle Richardson wrote:Being in Utah, thats been the lead story for the past couple weeks. I think that if they continue to send guys in then it will lead to more deaths because the mountain continues to move daily. Its a death trap and more lives dont need to be lost looking that way. They have drilled 5 holes now and havent heard or seen anything yet so the chances that the original 6 are still alive is very slim especially since the last several air samples from the test holes showed very low levels of oxygen.

They announced yesterday that they will drill one more hole and if it doesnt produce any positive results then they will seal up the mine. The family of the trapped miners didnt want to hear that news and are upset at the owner but I'm not sure if there is really anything else they can do without endangering more lives.

I didn't hear about that, as I haven't watched news of it much in the last week. Moving 3' a day? jesus, why were they mining there in the first place? that's an obvious accident waiting to happen. I haven't heard what actually happened with the cave in, though. Did the whole 1000 feet above it shift down to block the entrance, or just a roof cave in for a long stretch? I suppose there was no way to dig out from the original entrance or else they would have tried that already.

i should research the geology of the area to find out what's going on there. I didn't know any mountains in the interior US were still actively building.

edit: just read that going through the original caved-in entrance is what killed the 3 rescue workers when it caved in again. so that's out.

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

Kyle Richardson

Postby Kyle Richardson » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:19 pm

You should have hollered at me X-over! My contact info is here in the contact info thread.

i should research the geology of the area to find out what's going on there. I didn't know any mountains in the interior US were still actively building.
I dont think the mountain is building and most of the movement is caused from the mining itself but I could be wrong.

This also hit kind of close to home because I have a friend at work who's brother works in that mine. He was part of the internal rescue operation and had just gotten off shift before the second cave in but was still at the mine in a meeting. For most of the evening I worried that he was involved but he's been lucky twice now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:55 pm

I know, but it was late and I had no connection for my lappy. I told my wife that next time we come through I am calling you first, that way we make sure we have a place to stay. You got room for 5? :D
KU40

Postby KU40 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:44 pm

Kyle Richardson wrote:I dont think the mountain is building and most of the movement is caused from the mining itself but I could be wrong.

I read a couple articles and one mentioned the rifting there, which I had forgotten about- the one that's causing SLC and Reno to move apart 1/2" per year. But that's taking place on the west side of the mountain range and west of this mine, so not sure if it would have an effect or not. Another article stated the seismologists were still trying to figure out if the readings they got indicating an earthquake were actually an earthquake that caused the collapse, or just the collapse sending waves to their instruments.

Glad your friend wasn't caught in it.

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:06 pm

i love this picture.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name

Return to “Off Topic : The Hell Hole”