New frontstage install

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:34 pm

jlaine wrote:Damplifier is a damn good product, worked well when I used it...

You going to do a layer of liquid stuffs after that is all done or you figure you've got it down?

I did 4 layers + a coating of liquid on the wife's 300m doors. (2 + liquid on the outer, 2 on the inner.)

Yea - this stuff isn't coming off for anything:) Only complaint is that it is kinda stiff, but oh well. A few well placed slits fix any problems it has conforming. A while back they had a new product called Hazmat that they did sort of a trial run of. It had a black backing that was very flexible. I haven't heard anything about it since. I'd like to give it a try.

As for liquid, if you can't tell, there's already a few layers of "Xterminator" liquid on the door(remember ben did the "woofer throwing contest" giveaway of it before they left? I was the winner of that.) I took a crossectional picture of the piece of sheetmetal I cut off, but it came out crappy. I think there was ~ 1/16" of it on the metal. The damplifier stuck to it like glue.

anyway, my g/f decided she wanted to have a "girls night", so I'm heading out to lay down some overkill :)

Oh yea, see that window gear in the last pic? My right wrist looks like it went through a sticker bush/cat fight because of it. That's the reason the deadener is crooked as hell in the middle part of the door.
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:17 am

drivers door is almost done. Would be done, but I ran out of spray adhesive. 15 minutes tommorow and it'll be done.

Comments:

1 - Overkill is great. Very flexible and easily stretches around bends. Only downside is that it rips if you try to cut it with a knife, so scissors are a must.

2 - I'm a damn good shot with a can of spray adhesive now. It's fun trying to hit the middle of the door between two access holes. contact cement and a small roller would probably work better.

3 - Overall I've got 2 layers of damplifier on the whole outer skin, with a third behind the speaker cutout. The inner skin has one good layer all over it, with two layers on the majority of it. The only area with a single layer is behind the door handle area.

The entire outer skin also has one layer of overkill, with a second behind the speaker area. The entire inner skin will have one layer on it. The excess will be used to wrap around the speaker for water protection, and to use on a few other areas of the car.

onto the pictures

24 ft^2 of overkill

thickness

outer skin behind the driver cutout

outer skin in the rear half of the door

a scrap of techflex slid over the lock rod mechanism so it can slide through the deadener

all sealed up. the lock still works perfectly

damplfier finished

overkill almost finished
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:53 am

this afternoon I finished up the drivers door, then tonight I was out from ~10-2 deadening the passengers side door. Tommorow I'm hoping to get baffles cut out and get the midbasses in:)

Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
young_gun

Postby young_gun » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 am

Awesome man! Good luck with the baffles and everything today:)
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:27 pm

Got them in - I took my subs out, and have these playing full range right now and I'm very impressed. These should match up very nicely with the horns. They definitely play well above 1khz. As it sits, the stage is right up on the dash. The portion of the midrange that they're playing (up to ~1-1.5khz) sounds VERY nice. These are actually very listenable playing full range. I can't wait to get the horns in.

As for output - I threw in some nirvana, and they definitely kick, even with ~40rms from my 300/4. I still need to get some modelling clay to fill in a couple gaps around the baffle, so it should get even better from there.

I played sine sweeps from 80hz down to 5hz, and the only rattles or resonations are from the window control, but that will be fixed once the door panel is back on. They definitely have response down to 30-35hz, and I'm sure it will improve one the gaps around the baffle are fixed. 25hz seems to be the resonant frequency of my door panel, and the whole thing flexes:cwm21:

anyway - pics :)

Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
John

Postby John » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:28 pm

Awesome...now to wrap it all and get everything back together...

black300zx wrote:As for liquid, if you can't tell, there's already a few layers of "Xterminator" liquid on the door(remember ben did the "woofer throwing contest" giveaway of it before they left? I was the winner of that.)

Yeah, I won two cans of that from their canadian forum friend/online dealer...sold one to 93CougarXR7SE...

I just signed up, generated a random number, posted it...and :cwm18: :D
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:37 pm

looks like I'll have to at least ditch my ac duct in the door until I can modify it :cwm19:
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:08 pm

That looks like it is going to rattle like a mofo.....;)

Are you going to do any dampining to the door skin?
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:57 pm

[quote="X-OvrDistortion"]That looks like it is going to rattle like a mofo.....]

:cwm12: did you miss the top of this page and the page before? There's 40 sq ft of damplifier split between the two doors, and 24 sq ft of overkill split between them. The outer skins have 2 solid layers, with a third behind the speaker. Inner skins have 2 layers.

Not a single rattle, even with the entire panel flexing while playing 25hz tones. Only thing left to troubleshoot is one small resonation I'm getting somewhere around the b-pillar. I'm thinking it's just the guide for the window. If it is, there's not much I can do.

got one horn in tonight. These things frikin rock. I'll be getting up early to get the other horn in, and start tuning them. Since tuning parametric eq's > me, I'll be using the x-overs on my amp, and keep the deck in regular mode to use the 13band graphic eq.
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

check out my ride
Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:36 pm

don't forget the xtc baffles dude....keep that ish dry :)
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name

Return to “Project Logs”