Xj6 rebuild starts tomorrow

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
flak_monkey

Xj6 rebuild starts tomorrow

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:53 am

I FINALLY have a day off so I'm starting my tumult box and new door panels. I've even gotten a hold of some extrememly nice black leather, five whole sides to be exact, maybe redo my headliner and do my doors in black and tan with burlwood, as opposed to blue and chrome with black plastic and some hard wood (I think it's cherry). Check the link in the sig to get an idea of whats going on.

I ordered some more UV cold cathodes to light my amp rack from http://www.xoxide.com ($5.99 per dual 12" kit). Check back for more pics. I hope this thing goes really smoothly. I've got the amp rack finished off in black vinyl, need to re-finish the trunk. The carpet is old and soiled and the head liner needs replacing. I've got some tan leather I'll redo it with, with a raised leaper logo if the leather will take it. If not, I'll sew in a black leather leaper. Yes, I can sew:meh:
best part is, the leather is good stuff I got for REALLY cheap, like $1.25 per side (beef) at an antique store. The tag on the inside of one of the peices says $200.
Maybe underbody purple LED's (DIY of course).

The amp rack is water cooled and peltier cooled, so it drops below ambient temp. It's wired to a relay that turns on the AC water pump, the four 12cm blue LED fans, the two smaller 8cm fans to cool the heatsink for the peltier, all when the key is turned. That's already done, but I can't take a picture because the amps aren't mounted and they'll pull on the wires if I stand it upright.

That's all for now.

More tomorrow. Check link in sig to see what I'm up against. This car is an extremely cumbersome and unforgiving environment to install in. But it's teh sexy.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Well, I decided to start on the new door panels first. I used the shitty ones from my parts XJ6 parts car, and I am using the "arm rests" from my other parts car, an xj6 Vanden Plas, because they are smaller and don't have a pocket. Pics when I'm done.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:35 pm

Okay, so here's progress thus far.

Kitty, my XJ6
Ugh I need to shampoo the carpet, huh? I've since gotten a new DIN sleeve and the radio is now flush (after much grinding and reorganizing of wires)

PPI art a404.2 before fitment for water cooling and paint touch up on bottom right of amp.

fitted for 1/2 inch water cooling, which will soon be equipped with 90 degree fittings so that it will take up less room in the amp rack.

GUTS. They don't make them like this too much any more.

This is the water block, with the peltier unit attached. Note the frozen condensation on the copper block, this will get the coolant in the water tubes down below ambient temperature. It will be insulated so the condensation doesn't ruin the mdf amp rack.

water block on top of heat sink.

Test fitting the amp rack, no paint or vinyl yet. Going to re-upholster the trunk in black vinyl, outfit the amp rack with a black mdf and plexi cover, and fiberglass beauty panels and pick up all the insulation from underneath the parcel shelf. The amp rack will have UV lights, UV reactive blue tubing and coolant, and UV reactive cable sleeving. There are four 12cm blue fans that will move 140 cubic feet per minute.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Okay, more pics. All of the pics here will be going in or already in my flickr album linked in my sig (click to see car)

painted amp rack with cover on it.

liquid coolant fill and bleed. I'm using primochill's PC ice, which is non conductive. You can submerge an entire working motherboard, with power applied, in the PC ice and it continued to run. The tubing is uv reactive, and that amp is gettin' cold now. The end panels have been removed so that the air from the fans on the amp rack can reach the power transformers to cool them.

UV reactive tubing, which is hard to capture on a camera without a tripod and a low shutter speed. Three more sets of lights are on their way. Got them for $5.99 at http://www.xoxide.com

Adire Extremis 6.8's being bench tested on my Dynaco stereo 120. These things sound remarkable.

My temporary tweeters, Vintage SEAS 87H tweeters from the famous Dynaco A25's. Until I get my Usher 9950C-15's these will do. They are the exact same size.

My big new baby, crushing my lap. The Adire Tumult 15d2 MK2

It's the XBL^2 mickey mouse club, biatch!

Big'n.

You should see this thing f*ckin wang.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:21 pm

Here's what I did today

I took the door panels from my XJ6 parts car and took them apart. Then, I took the panel part and traced it onto some board, cut it out, layed out some mdf pieces and a ring for the mid, and stretched fleece over it. Later, maybe tomorrow, I'll throw the respirator on and coat it in resin. Then I'll pull the staples out, turn it over, and reinforce it with about 8 layers of fiberglass. I'll then test fit it to make doubly sure that it works in the car by taking off the door panels in my daily driver and sitting in it with the panel on. Then I'll do the other side, which is going to be slightly different in terms of how they are aimed. Then I will do the tweeters, which I think is good to separately so that I can get them perfectly aimed. So here's the pics from today.

ready to trace the outline. Now you can see why this panel came from a PARTS CAR, it is so nasty inside. There's so much mould I can't stand to be in it for more than half an hour before I start wheezing.

Imagetrace-o-licious.

Cut out, holes traced, and mouldy vinyl removed from old door panel. Threw it away, it was stinking up the house and too stained to sell or repair.

This is the door handle from the passenger's side of a regular Xj6 series 3, like I drive, except the one in my daily driver is blue. The Vanden plas (long wheel base model) XJ6 have very different handles. I just so happen to have a Vanded Plas parts car, so I took the handles off of it to use, as they do not have a pocket to get in the way of the speaker enclosure and give me more placement options.

The Vanden Plas handle attached, gives me much more room for sound and legroom in the car.

New panel cutout vs the spare from my parts car

Stretching fleece, tomorrow I might put resin on it, depending on how tired I am after work. Six day work weeks suck.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:29 am

black00

Postby black00 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:19 am

flat doors are awsome...
You off to a great start man.
But one word to keep in your mind ...
Do one thing at a time buddy.
Your got going, you got doors going, you got amp mods going.
When you focus on one thing at a time you move and make a lot more progress.

You doing great ;)
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:24 pm

Never put underbody lights on that car. Ever. May as well put a crappy wing on the back.

The stereo looks like it's coming along nicely, though. :)

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
Nitrous

Postby Nitrous » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Atomic Fusion wrote:Never put underbody lights on that car. Ever. May as well put a crappy wing on the back.

The stereo looks like it's coming along nicely, though. :)

Adam

Those aresn't underbody lights... They are for his UV Reactive tubing for his amp water cooling system.

And yes I agree nice start man! Can't wait to see it when its done.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25 pm

I like the work you have started on the doors. Keep us posted.

Return to “Project Logs”