Xj6 rebuild starts tomorrow

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:33 pm

Nitrous wrote:Those aresn't underbody lights... They are for his UV Reactive tubing for his amp water cooling system.

And yes I agree nice start man! Can't wait to see it when its done.

Maybe underbody purple LED's (DIY of course).

Unless I got confused... Looking great though. Liquid cooling is fun.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:06 pm

Yeah some of the lights are for the amp rack, I have three pair coming in soon, and I was just tossing around the idea of an underbody kit. I think it'd be fun, but it would attract unwanted attention of people who might want to break into the car or steal parts off of it or something. So I think I'll stick with just the lights in the amp rack, and perhaps do some interior lighting inside the cabin that's unique. Work ran me ragged today and yesterday, so no updates for today. Hopefully tomorrow won't be so busy.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:17 am

good job buddy!
flak_monkey

Today's small amount of progress (12/13/06)

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:14 pm

I had a tiny bit of energy left after work. It was probably due to the package that UPS left on my door, 3 pairs of twelve inch UV cold cathode lights. I got inside and hooked them up and snapped a few pics for everyone to see. Still hard to capture the reaction to UV on my camera. But damn this will be cool when it's done. Also, I cut some 1/2 inch mdf into tweeter rings, sized to fit Usher 9950c-15's that I want to get. They also fit my seas 87-H almost perfectly. I have not cut out the terminal notches yet, I'll put it in a clamp and hit it with the dremel tomorrow. But for now, here's some pics.

i swear it glows bright blue! That's the non-conductive coolant and 1/2 inch ID tubing

this shot has an odd composition, but it's so aesthetically pleasing. There goes the artist in me, talking again.

this image burns to look at.

lightin up the room!

mdf ring

that's a lot of wires!

Check back soon, more to come!
MegaloRESE15

Postby MegaloRESE15 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:32 pm

im curious on the liquid cooling design :)
:cwm20:
TERMLab 140.3
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:17 pm

MegaloRESE15 wrote:im curious on the liquid cooling design :)

well, as you may or may not know, all of the art series amps can be water cooled. The top of the amp is the heatsink like just about every amp. look at the pic of the top of the amp, notice the round, bar like part at the top and bottom? On the back of these are all the transistors (see amp guts pic). Through the bar-like part is a hole that goes all the way through the heat sink. This hole could be optionally tapped by the factory, and new end plates put on the amplifier that had holes. This was because the amp was well designed, but the designers thought that there were some installs that convection cooling would not be sufficient if the amps were mounted horizontally. There are more reasons, but this is the main one as I've been told. One of the problems with this design is that the sensor that sends the amp into protect mode is ALSO mounted on the heatsink. As logical as that seems, with watercooling, this is a bit of an oversight. If the IC's are cooled well enough, the torroidal transformer is neglected in the water cooling loop. Leaving the amp essentially unable to send itself in to protect mode in the event that the toroid gets too hot. I

have fixed this problem in my install by having four fans, each moving 70 cubic feet per minute (two per side), blowing across the amp. The endplates have been removed so that air can enter the side of the amp and flow across the transformer. This will ensure that with an 8 ohm load on the amplifer (however trivial it may seem), it will not overheat with water cooling and the amp will not die. Now, with the addition of a Thermoelectric cooling module, TEC (or peltier), the coolant will be cooled below ambient temperature. This will be important becuase when I get the a1200.2, it will see a four ohm load from my Tumult 15d2 wired in series. The amp will need some sort of additional cooling to help it survive. Remember that these amps are older, SQ class A/B beasts. They were not meant to run low ohm loads and thusly even being used at the lowest load that they are rated for can present a problem. Plus, I had all this water cooling stuff laying around from my last PC that was not going to go into my current workstation. Why let it go to waste?
Member02

Postby Member02 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:46 am

dude, thats awsome!
MegaloRESE15

Postby MegaloRESE15 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:34 pm

oh ok, thats why the IAs have that as well...

TERMLab 140.3
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:01 am

MegaloRESE15 wrote:oh ok, thats why the IAs have that as well...

I saw the IA amp with the endplates off and instantly thought "WATER COOLING!" It's a great option with the right equipment.

But sadly, my computer has decided that it wants a new power supply. So I ponied up $200 for a new PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w EPS 12v to replace the 550w FSP unit that went bunk. And now that things at the computer store are really getting busy, I'm pulling at least 50 hrs a week. So work on the system has been slim. Damn power supply company wanted me to wait 6 weeks for an RMA. I'm a computer animator. I can't be without a computer for a few days, especially when school starts back. Oh well. I'll work on it when I can, hopefully get at least the amp rack done. I'm expecting I'll get some Knu wiring and other parts for xmas, and a full sheet of MDF with a bow around it, a circle jig for the router too. All will come in handy. Day after xmas should be really busy, and I'll at least get the car rewired and the gas tank sent off for repair (both of the tanks leak and are rusty).
MegaloRESE15

Postby MegaloRESE15 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:54 pm

Poser? Lightwave? Autocad? Maya?

cant wait to see the final install....

TERMLab 140.3

Return to “Project Logs”