Xj6 rebuild starts tomorrow

Work in progress? Car partially underway? If you want a spot to dedicate to the work this is where you'll want to go.
John

Postby John » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:10 am

how's the project going...

Anyway, since we had to get back on topic in the other thread...Quote & Reply...
flak_monkey wrote:None of them have sh*t on the way my car is styled. It's a beater, but perhaps the sexiest beater evah?

Technically, it's still a ford...By frachise at least...your car was about a year or two before the buy, but it still counts...right?

Best beater, that's hard...I've seen a lot of beautiful old cars in need of a little restoration...Those would definitely get my vote for best beater...
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 am

John wrote:how's the project going...

Anyway, since we had to get back on topic in the other thread...Quote & Reply...

Technically, it's still a ford...By frachise at least...your car was about a year or two before the buy, but it still counts...right?

Best beater, that's hard...I've seen a lot of beautiful old cars in need of a little restoration...Those would definitely get my vote for best beater...

Eh, project is going slow. I've been out of town, broke, etc. I hope to get my fiberglassing for the back and sides of the box done this weekend and be able to start on my front and top next week or the week after. I've got more gremlins to chase down.

And no, this car is NOT a f*cking ford. They bought the company I believe in 93 or 94, and the s3 was the last car that Sir William Lyons designed. So it's not the ugly ford-jags, it's in the same vein as the E-type, just not as sexy or as phallic. My comments about best beater are just me being silly.

I want a 'vette engine in this car though. That'll be sweet. And no more damn gremlins!
John

Postby John » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 am

Member02

Postby Member02 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:51 pm

John wrote:Part of the family since '89!

http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/brands/jaguar.htm

ford FTW!
:cwm17:
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:14 pm

"Jaguar continues to flourish in the tradition that Sir William Lyons first defined 80 years ago."

If by that they mean making assugly cars, many built like a taurus, then I suppose that they are NOT flourishing in that tradition. I wouldn't get near any XJ6 jag after 87 or any xj12 after I believe 92, with the exception of the Daimler Super Eight and the new XK-R that was designed by Aston Martin guy.

Ford Cars I want
AM DB9
New Daimler Super Eight
XJ portfolio edition

Of course I'll settle for my XJ6 fully restored with at least a chevy 350 engine and a 700-R4 transmission. Can't go manual, won't fit.
John

Postby John » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:11 pm

Manual won't fit because you won't do the work... :D

I wouldn't put a chevy anything in that, a Ford would be a better fit imo, but still...I'd try to find some older Jag or foreign, likely British, engine to put in there.
There' s a variety of relatively cheap older Jag's around here, V12 XJ's...

I really like your car, but I'm kind of to the point, with any vehicle, that I don't justify putting more work in than it's worth. Like your vehicle, if it were nice and I found it in original or well rebuilt, I'd consider buying it, but I wouldn't put the work into it. No offense, but I don't see your car as being worth it in the long run, and my focus is on older cars. Just where I'm going from, and I can't personally see a reason for buying a new car for myself although I can afford it.

flak_monkey wrote:If by that they mean making assugly cars, many built like a taurus, then I suppose that they are NOT flourishing in that tradition. I wouldn't get near any XJ6 jag after 87 or any xj12 after I believe 92, with the exception of the Daimler Super Eight and the new XK-R that was designed by Aston Martin guy.

S-Type shares with the Lincoln ls / Ford Thunderbird platform, never a Taurus. The Ford CD132 is the X-type platform, and while it is commonly thought to be a Ford CD132, it is not exactly the same as CDW27, which was the code on the Cougar, Contour, Mystique, and Mondeo...
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:06 pm

Well they make chevy v8 conversion kits, and it's way easier than putting in the engine from a newer jag. It's called "LUMPing," (less upkeep, more power). IIRC, there is a LUMP'ed xjs in New Zealand that does the quarter mile in 8 seconds. I have the video but don't remember the site it came from. Think it was kiwi drag racing. And the Xj12 is fairly rare, it's a nightmare to work on anything in that engine. It's so complicated. I think that I am way past the point of diminishing returns. I don't care what the car is worth in terms of value because it is precious to me.

I just hate the s-type and the x-type. I think they are abominable cars and I have worked on a few s-types. They are nothing special, and they look horrid.

I can't afford to buy a new car either, but I can afford to work on this thing until it's very unique. I Love the car, despite all it's faults and problems, and I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off. Who knows, one day I might compete in Concourse's "Mods" class. Those are some pretty far-out jags. At this point, the amount of work I've put into it, both mechanically and in terms of audio, approaches NIF, near infinite labour, and I'm not about to give up on her in the middle of a project. No matter how slowly it seems to be progressing. I only drive it once or twice a week anyhow. I would love to have a bunch of cars, but this one is my baby, and getting rid of it is not in my foreseeable future.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:20 pm

John

Postby John » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:22 pm

flak_monkey wrote: Love the car, despite all it's faults and problems, and I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off . . . but this one is my baby, and getting rid of it is not in my foreseeable future.

I really can respect that, ain't nothing wrong with a little rust either! My daily car is a pos beater that I will never sell, I get more value in terms of my usage out of it than it's resale worth. It's been totalled twice, and totalled at least two other cars, and it still runs great and has never had any major malfunction or repair that was due to a breakdown, all pre-emptive.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:36 pm

watch the video!

Return to “Project Logs”